Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final Muffler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Eoli

Default Final Muffler Thread

OK OK CALM DOWN LOL All the American Thunder muffler fan boys lately have been goin crazy sayin there pipes sound "mean" and whatever else. Ok first thing, yes they do sound different then stock "mean" deffinetley not. American Thunders arent even top 5 in loudness and rumble when it comes to axlebacks. Second of all these fan boys claim that American Thunders have "0" drone when between 1800-2000 rpms BS. I have a friend with an 06 GT with FLowmasters and there is almost the same drone on them as on the MAC's that I installed. Lastly people think because the American Thunders cost more they have a better sound, completley wrong. Ever heard of Sony they charge way more then alot of brands yet you can get the same quality or better usually for much cheaper then a Sony item. All I am saying is that the Flowmaster fanboys are goin nuts claiming there muffler sounds 10x louder then stock and has "0" drone which is utter BS since it has allready been proven that ever after market muffler has some sort of a drone between 1800-2000 rpms. What I can understand is that these flow fan boys most likely have new headers which will quiet down quite a bit. Closing note. because you paid "100" dollars more for your muffler doesn't mean that its going to all of a sudden have no drone also go compare stock to your flowmaster and you can barely tell a difference besies maybe a little louder, flowmasters barely roar at all compared to just being really loud. Please put these flowmaster fan boys in there place and make them understand that there muffler isnt perfect.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:43 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Final Muffler Thread

Flowmasters will always drone. I have had many cars with them and they drone. They are deep but not that loud. My loudmouth is way louder and I know this. I recently took Flowmasters off my friends '05 GT and put loudmouth on it because he liked the soud of the loudmouth better. Flows do sound good though, I can't knock the sound.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

I had the Flows American Thunder and the Drone was horrible, it felt like it was in my brain! My previous Stang had flows and I loved it the Drone was not as bad. I think it as a lot to do with the muffler being at the back of the car. And, I have an Auto. Any how, I went back to stock and love it. I never thought I would ever say a muffler was too loud.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Gloves
2nd Gear Member

I think Ford did an outstanding job with the stock mufflers.

Probably won't ever upgrade, price to isn't worth it IMO.

After my bodywork is installed I need to save for my 1 performance mod. My Super Charger!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Hammermill
1st Gear Member

I'm confused. I was under the impression that most axleback mufflers for 05-06 mustangs are around $300-$400 including the Flowmasters. I bought them @$300 and do not feel that I paid a premium price, nor did I expect anything for the cost other than what I got. Also I have found that they have lower drone than MAC's, Magnaflows, and the like. I think that they combine a decent improvement from stock with lower drone than most in the same price range. This does not mean that any other mufflers are bad, or that Flowmasters are better. Its just a personal choice. Let people say what they will and let them be.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Eoli

Wana end on civil terms.... Ok all give you this maybe you get a "less" drone which is barely any less then the MAC etc but I guess you can tell a little. Secondly you have to agree the FLowmaster seems to go more the stock route with sound and build on what the stock sounds like by increasing the loudness of it which is the only real difference I could hear.... For the MAC's Borla SLP etc they are a whole different story, they sound like beasts when you floor them. Completley different then stock in the sense that they go from more of a wind up to a roar when you give it the gas. The only time I could notice any improvment over stock with the flowmasters is when your all out on the gas and right in the begining, once your goin around 70 or so the stock and flowmasters sound the same to me, I cant say the same for the others that I listed which continue to roar and just sound plain bad *** even up to the top speeds. I can understand that the Flowmaster drone is smaller but my real question is why upgrade to the flowmasters.... why not just keep stock and have no drone compared to getting flows and having a pretty bad sounding drone and a "little" improvment in the loudness. With the other mufflers your buying a whole different sounding car after there installed. You go from having a new engine sounding exhaust to a more of a retro roar over the newer wind up sounds they put out. My whole moral is just why waste 300-400 bucks on flows when you get barely any sound difference and thats it, over loud pipes that will define your car and make people turns there heads in aww. You all know right now they turn because of the new stang look but eventually in a year or 2 people wont care, but if you got the loud *** beast sounding ride people will just turn when they here the sexy thang comin not just turn to look at it when its drivin by. AND THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS CHILDREN........... DON'T DO CRACK!
ORIGINAL: Hammermill

I'm confused. I was under the impression that most axleback mufflers for 05-06 mustangs are around $300-$400 including the Flowmasters. I bought them @$300 and do not feel that I paid a premium price, nor did I expect anything for the cost other than what I got. Also I have found that they have lower drone than MAC's, Magnaflows, and the like. I think that they combine a decent improvement from stock with lower drone than most in the same price range. This does not mean that any other mufflers are bad, or that Flowmasters are better. Its just a personal choice. Let people say what they will and let them be.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:59 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I'm Old School...

THUSH is the ONLY Perfect Muffler!

NOW that the issue of the perfect muffler is settled - - - I have to state I found myself giggling at the seriousness of tone this debate is starting to take.

The TRUTH is... there is no perfect muffler - - - - because were human and too many people like too many different things. What sounds good to one guy is going to sound horrible to another.

Given that - - this entire "what muffler sounds best" debate is a prime exercise in futility!

I am a racecar fan... the BEST sound is NO MUFFLER! Unfortunately the Po-Po have a problem with me doing that on public streets.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:04 AM
TruBlu03GT
2nd Gear Member

When it comes to choosing which axle-back to buy, its def. a personal preference. When doing this you should also know, there is a difference between cars that sound awesome and cars that sound like sh*t. Im not sayin FM's are the best mufflers or SLP are the worst, it just depends on what you want. Loud cars are freakin great, but not if they dont sound good. Not tryin to start trash talkin, just giving an honest opinion. I will agree with you that FM's do have a louder "stock" sound, but thats what draws people to them, not too loud, but still sounds like a mustang. Just my .02
Old 11-03-2005, 01:01 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

I'm Old School...

THUSH is the ONLY Perfect Muffler!

NOW that the issue of the perfect muffler is settled - - - I have to state I found myself giggling at the seriousness of tone this debate is starting to take.

The TRUTH is... there is no perfect muffler - - - - because were human and too many people like too many different things. What sounds good to one guy is going to sound horrible to another.

Given that - - this entire "what muffler sounds best" debate is a prime exercise in futility!

I am a racecar fan... the BEST sound is NO MUFFLER! Unfortunately the Po-Po have a problem with me doing that on public streets.
Dear Professor Wizard,

I take it that we must be about the same age...

I too remember the "Trush" mufflers...

But do you also remember "Glass Packs and Cherry Bombs"???

This is way back in time...

Maybe Don W remembers...

Dave
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

4" tips +1

Quick Reply: Final Muffler Thread