Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what stereo and is alarm worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Badger

Default what stereo and is alarm worth it?

picked up the 2006 brochure. Whats the best stereo to get? The 500? the 1000? the base stereo and then replace it with something aftermarket? anyone have opinions on this?

while Im at it.....what about the security system you can get as an option? Is it worth it or would it be better to have a stereo shop put one in?
Old 11-06-2005, 01:26 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: what stereo and is alarm worth it?

I would (did) get the lowest stereo you can get and then go aftermarket. I don't know about the security system - mine was "dealer installed" - evidently by somebody who had no idea what they were doing.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:57 AM
roland
1st Gear Member

We got the Shaker 500 in my wife's 06, and it sounds a whole lot better than the Rockford Fosgate system that cane in my 05 X Terra. If big bass and no trunk space are your priority, go for the 1000. If true replication of the recording is what you're after, get the stock and rip it out and put in what you want.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
turboc

Skip the Shaker and get an aftermarket system, especially considering all the problems that the Shaker systems have. I added a Pioneer head unit, small sub box, and a rear sub amp. This has way more flexibility and (to me) sounds better than the Shakers.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Ebein
1st Gear Member

If you have cash on hand definately get the baseline and put in a aftermarket setup.
The only difference between the 500 and 1000 are 2 10" subs in the trunk, If you need
ALOT of base get the 1k, otherwise the 500 is sufficient for most.

Im going to replace my 1k with a CarPC for Nav-Video etc
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I guess it depends on how descriminating your ear is. I am happy with the Shaker 500. It's a very clean sounding system and more than powerful enough for me. I'm not sure the Shaker 1000 is worth the extra cash though and I am certain you could get aftermarket equipment that would be a lot better for the same money as the Shaker 1000. I am also aware that a lot of people had trouble with the Shaker systems but those seemed to be early production models. I think Ford might have ironed out the bugs by now. Mine works flawlessly and my car was built in early June.
I think I would get the base system and upgrade to aftermarket if you weren't happy with it.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Badger

id like to update the thread here a little.....

I was at the dealer and sat in a car with the 1000 in it. Seems like way to much bass to me. If I listened to rap all the time, then maybe that would be a good thing, but I listen to all kinds of music....so I think Ive ruled the 1000 out.

Now its between the base and the 500. The base has 4 speakers and the 500 has 8. Other things are different to, but Im sure everyone knows about the other things.....its just I didnt hear any mention in the number of speakers so I just thought Id mention it. Anyways.......

Does anyone else have any input on the optional security system and if its worth paying for.....or would it be better to get a good aftermarket alarm??

thanks again....
Old 11-07-2005, 12:36 PM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

The 1000 isn't worth the money. Not to mention everybody knows that the stupid subwoofer is sitting right where the nitrous tank is supposed to go
Old 11-07-2005, 03:54 PM
SDreyer

I went aftermarket with a pioneer AVIC-D1 and I love it. I have only heard bad things about the 1000 and for less money you can get my navi unit which looks great and sounds better. I also went aftermarket with the alarm. I ended up with the Viper 5000 alarm. All was well worth the money and both of them together was less than the 1000.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:33 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Base system for sure! Sure you can get a better sound with aftermarket and do you want clean looking door panels or a BIG PLASTIC GEAR LOOKING THING there that you and your passenger are going to kick around all the time (with the 500 and 1000).

Quick Reply: what stereo and is alarm worth it?