Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 concerns

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 PM
wmscottmc
1st Gear Member

Default 2 concerns

Ill be purchasing an '06 soon.

1) I took a test drive recently, and there does appear to be quite a blind spot, especially over your right shoulder. Is this something that you can overcome, and get used to, just using the mirrors?

2) Does the key with chip offer decent security? What does Ford charge for duplicate programmed keys?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:05 AM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2 concerns

1) I have my mirrors adjusted so I can see behind/down the sides of my car, so no real blind spot for me. The rear view mirror is fairly big as are the side mirrors.

2) Take it for what its worth, but, Ive been told that its next to impossible to start the car without the correct coded key. Im sure if a theif really wanted the car, they'd get it though. Not sure what ford charges for replacement keys.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:06 AM
FastBackDan
2nd Gear Member

yes and yes
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

for the blind spot, you might have noticed the the mirros were very concave compared to most cars, which pretty much takes care of most the blind spot (which make window louvers possible to have without being too dangerous)
you will get used to it pretty quickly, but the only problem i had with them was going back to a regular car with regualr mirrors...lol
Old 11-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Lawman165
1st Gear Member

My salesman told me you could get another key cut for about 50 bucks at a locksmith. You have to have both original keys though. If you lose one of your keys you are screwed. He said it would cost several hundred at that point.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Yes and yes...

The convertible has a larger blind spot.. but you get used to it very quickly.

The huge mirrors help a LOT!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Cruehead
1st Gear Member

For the blind spot issue, is put those little 'bubble' mirrors on my side view mirrors. I don't have an issue with the blind spot now.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:34 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

I haven't really had a visibility problem in my GT, I think mostly due to the oversize side mirrors. As far as security goes, the coded key should be pretty good and one would need some sophisticated tools and training to bypass the system and start the car. Most cars these days are stolen with a tow-truck anyway, in which case nothing can really help you (save maybe Lojack or a vicious dog left in the car.)
Old 11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

3) IF a thief really wants your car they will get it. Pull up with a tow truck and just haul it off, alarm blaring and everything. Most people won't question a tow truck.... If you've ever seen the show 'Repoman', trying to block your car in or park it funky just makes it take longer for them to hook it up and drive off....

Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

I had new keys made at a local locksmith for about $25.00 each. He told me how to program the car to accept them, but it's in the owner's manual. Basically, you insert two keys that the car "likes", turn the car on for a few seconds (don't start it), then turn it off again. Then you insert the new key and turn the car on and you're all set. The new keys even had a blue Ford oval rather than the cheaper looking all plastic original key.

As I understand it, you can program it to accept up to 8 keys before you have to go to a Ford dealer and have something special done.

And I don't have any blind spot to the right in my car, at least when the top is down.

Quick Reply: 2 concerns