Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 04:35 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Snow Tires ?

Stoenr: Well, your response was pretty classy. mmmm beer good! Sorry for being so hard on ya. You hit a sore spot and I admit to over-reacting. Damed humans anyways!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:29 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

Stoenr: So did you think of that mature, inteligent response on your own or did you have help? Just because someone has an opinion different than your own is not reason to make yourself look like an imature moron by calling people names. This may come as a shock to you but you have to share the world with other people and some of them just might have some ideas and thoughts that are different from your own. Just because something works for one person does not mean it works for the next person. Have a little respect, or is that a concept that you seem to be having trouble with?
I worked very hard to get my Mustang and I intend to take good care if it. I had my last vehicle for 27 years. That's probably longer than you've been alive and it was worth substantially more when I sold it than when I got it. When yours and most others are long gone mine will still be in good shape. I take pride in my cars as to me they are not disposable items. So I ask that if you are too narrow minded to understand that other people may do things differently than you, the least you can do is try and respect them.
If you have nothing inteligent to offer go someplace else.
I'm somewhere in the middle. I drove my car in the snow last winter after purchasing it in January, and it did ok on the stock tires, but I've begun investing a ton of cash for mods and I DO show the car as well as take it to the strip, so I'll be driving it on fair weather days, and parking it when there's precipitation. I have a beater to drive (an '04 Mustang!!). And I DO drive my car: I have nearly 21000 miles in 10 months of ownership. I love it and sometimes turn the radio/CD off just to listen to the beast growl at cruise speed.

So run all year round if it makes you happy, or store it when the weather's foul. We're all Mustang people, and thankfully we have the power of choice to decide what we're doing with it.

My two cents...

John
Old 11-28-2005, 12:02 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

after my experiences with my 5.0 in the nineties i think mine can sit safely in my garage when the salt comes out. in my area there are a lot of idiots with SUV's that think they can do 90 in the snow cause they have 4x4. they are the ones i see on I-270 upside down.(i will take some pics for you guys this year)....but if it's nice i'm running the dog sh*t out it though!! my local drag strip just closed so now i have to get my fun when i can. my old car was a dedicated race car. it sat from november to april without being looked at unless something was broke. this one can't sit for more than a day and i get antsy.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:23 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

spyder7724: Amen! What is really sad about the SUV / 4X4 crowd is that yes, on icy roads they can accelerate better than non 4wd vehicles but what they forget is that because their vehicles are usually heaver they can't stop any better than anything else which is why I personally am much more comfortable knowing that my Mustang is safely tucked away in my garage. Each to his own however. I'm just glad I have a worthless but reliable beater to drive amongst the idiots.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 AM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

Hell,

If any of you can afford winter tires, you can probably afford a beater. I purchase an 89 chevy pickup for the winter for 800$. That’s cheaper than tires….
The GT stays in the garage for the winter. I live in Montreal so for those of you in the area, I’m sure you’ll agree that the roads have no place for such a beautiful.

I have two girls so there is no way they will ever get the car. I guess have to keep it in good shape until I have grand kids…. (just kidding)

Any of you heat up the garage so their baby doesn’t get cold?

My wife really thinks I have issues…lol

Old 11-28-2005, 08:27 AM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freefallpat

My wife really thinks I have issues…lol
I hear that! My wife calls herself the "third wife", after the car and dog...

I'm looking for a beater now. Ford dealer tried to get me to take a used 2002 F150 with 60k for $19000 this weekend. I laughed myself right off the lot. The same lot FULL of used trucks they can't unload now. I figure I can find something similar for half that if I keep looking.

John
Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I got the dunlop snows on my car today........now that the snow we had has melted [8D]

Regarding the comments on driving you car in the winter......

I do. I drove my '03 for three winters and had no problems at all and I will be driving my new '06 this winter. Because of the snow tires and the weight of the car, I actually found my old car performed very well in all conditions and I had 4.10 gears and a 1.5" drop on that bad boy LOL.

Anyway, I agree that it's a car and it's meant to be driven but if you want to preserve your car, don't drive it in the snow. Winter kicks the living crap out of your paintjob, even with the 4 layers of wax I put on it, it still takes a full day with a clay barre in the spring to bring it back.........and everything rusts after a few seasons. You can really see it around the wheel hubs and disc brakes (even with rust proofing). You also can't forget about all the salt stains and crap that gets all over the interior.

Then you have to try cleaning the engine bay []

Bah, winter sucks!!!!!!! [:@]
Old 11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
stepup

JW groovin if your looking for a good deal in a truck go to ronniethompsonford.net you can see our phone number on there and you can call me i am a car salesman there my name is heath thompson hop on there and look at our inventory and call me and i can get you a great price on a truck.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:46 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stepup

JW groovin if your looking for a good deal in a truck go to ronniethompsonford.net you can see our phone number on there and you can call me i am a car salesman there my name is heath thompson hop on there and look at our inventory and call me and i can get you a great price on a truck.
Heath, that's a bit too far south for me to pick something up. I'm in MD...but thanks anyhow. I'll find something soon.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

I got the dunlop snows on my car today........now that the snow we had has melted [8D]

Regarding the comments on driving you car in the winter......

I do. I drove my '03 for three winters and had no problems at all and I will be driving my new '06 this winter. Because of the snow tires and the weight of the car, I actually found my old car performed very well in all conditions and I had 4.10 gears and a 1.5" drop on that bad boy LOL.

Anyway, I agree that it's a car and it's meant to be driven but if you want to preserve your car, don't drive it in the snow. Winter kicks the living crap out of your paintjob, even with the 4 layers of wax I put on it, it still takes a full day with a clay barre in the spring to bring it back.........and everything rusts after a few seasons. You can really see it around the wheel hubs and disc brakes (even with rust proofing). You also can't forget about all the salt stains and crap that gets all over the interior.

Then you have to try cleaning the engine bay []

Bah, winter sucks!!!!!!! [:@]
Mike, which dunlops you go with M3's?
I called my goodyear order line today to cancel my goodyear snows as they kept pushing the promise date back and back, and was planning on the M3's. But guess what, I mentioned cancel and suddenly the tires were available to ship!

Quick Reply: Snow Tires ?