Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:11 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: charger

Okay, many of you will recognize me for my avid support of Vortech but I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. After all the posts going back and forth on the LAST supercharger thread, I decided to do some real homeowork. Not on products but on centrifugal vs. screw and all applications. The bottom line is this... As far as performance goes, you cannot do better than the Saleen or Kenne Bell. The difference has been blatantly pointed out - On my vortech, I do not have any boost what-so-ever till around 3200-3500 rpm's. I do get a lot more boost in the higher rpm range (12-14psi through 6000-6500) however, the main problem is that even though I have that boost advantage, I only get it for a second before I have to make a shift and start all over again building up rpms.

No matter what kind of boost levels I achieve, I would much rather have boost level throughout rpm range even if the boost psi was significantly lower.

When I built my 05, ONLY vortech and procharger where available and I still believe the Vortech to be much better than the procharger, but again, that was my only choices a year ago.

Based on what's available now, I think Kenne Bell would be the best choice if you plan on doing some engine work to make a drag car, and the Saleen for a mean street car/weekend drag car.

As much as it kills me to do it with over 6K in my vortech s/c now - I am going to try to sell it and get the kenne bell for my car.

PEACE
Old 11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
TexaStang
I ♥ Acer

I'm not insulting you, per say. You are 15 years old, and asking ridiculous questions that could easily be solved by just using the search function.

The fact is you are 15 years old, as per your registration information, and seem to be wasting our time in actuality.

But you are right, I don't own a Mustang ( that car, you know, my avatar is lets say, a 76 pacer ) and all the information in my signature is, lets say, an ancient Greek recipe for fondu.

Please, do search for information. Just don't start topics that have been asked numerous times, with gobs of information on these boards and others ( modular mustangs, TMS.com, etc )
Old 11-29-2005, 01:21 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Okay, many of you will recognize me for my avid support of Vortech but I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. After all the posts going back and forth on the LAST supercharger thread, I decided to do some real homeowork. Not on products but on centrifugal vs. screw and all applications. The bottom line is this... As far as performance goes, you cannot do better than the Saleen or Kenne Bell. The difference has been blatantly pointed out - On my vortech, I do not have any boost what-so-ever till around 3200-3500 rpm's. I do get a lot more boost in the higher rpm range (12-14psi through 6000-6500) however, the main problem is that even though I have that boost advantage, I only get it for a second before I have to make a shift and start all over again building up rpms.

No matter what kind of boost levels I achieve, I would much rather have boost level throughout rpm range even if the boost psi was significantly lower.

When I built my 05, ONLY vortech and procharger where available and I still believe the Vortech to be much better than the procharger, but again, that was my only choices a year ago.

Based on what's available now, I think Kenne Bell would be the best choice if you plan on doing some engine work to make a drag car, and the Saleen for a mean street car/weekend drag car.

As much as it kills me to do it with over 6K in my vortech s/c now - I am going to try to sell it and get the kenne bell for my car.

PEACE
I hear ya dude. but can't you gear it so that you shift right into boost every time?

Then all you would have to do is get enough traction to launch at 3,500 RPM and you are a rocket at the track and even when you are on the street it doesn't take long to get 3,500 RPM in 1st.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:25 AM
TexaStang
I ♥ Acer

On a related note, I will be buying the Whipple. I prefer twin screws, just because I like to have the power immediately. I'll also be running lower boost, to prolong engine life as popping the block is the last thing I want to do. Sure, a T-trim procharger or a Vortech at 10+ psi sounds appealing, but the tell tale "flat tire sound" on the highway does not appeal to my financial situation in the near future.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: TexaStang

I'm not insulting you, per say. You are 15 years old, and asking ridiculous questions that could easily be solved by just using the search function.

The fact is you are 15 years old, as per your registration information, and seem to be wasting our time in actuality.

But you are right, I don't own a Mustang ( that car, you know, my avatar is lets say, a 76 pacer ) and all the information in my signature is, lets say, an ancient Greek recipe for fondu.

Please, do search for information. Just don't start topics that have been asked numerous times, with gobs of information on these boards and others ( modular mustangs, TMS.com, etc )
It's true, there is alot of information out there if you look for it and these topics do FREQUENTLY come up, as do the gear and exhaust questions.

I really don't think there is much we can do about it. There are new people coming in all the time and they are not sure about how to use search or whatever.....frankly the search thing can be a little frustrating anyway. I have tried it [8D]

I suggest we encourage people to use the search feature but if they ask a simple question, I don't think it kill me to throw a little basic info at the guy.....or help him out with a link to a good thread........or I guess I could even just ignore the thread. Either way, I doubt I would feel it necessary to pick on the poor kid.

Hey, at least he's not asking about fart cans for a Honda LOL.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:50 AM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

You know what, sometimes a search doesn't help out the masses. I have been learning lots about stuff I didn't even know enough about to do a search on in the first place. I may seem redundant and simple for some old timers, but for some of us NOOBs, we come to these boards to LEARN from you. So pass on the info, or put a sock in it.

JC
Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

The bottom line is ... ...

ME to Mechanic - - "How fast can you make this thing go?"

Mechanic: -- "How much money do you have?"
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
stepup

Hey guys thanks for all the help i am sorry if this seemed like a stupid question to some of you and i'm sure it will not be the last time i ask a stupid queston on here but hey you know i just don't want to go out and spend 7 grand on something i know nothing about thanks mike for all you help and thanks to everyone else for the help they have given me. Oh and texas stang sorry aboiut the profile i didn't mean to say i was 15 i am actually 18 and a carsalesman in north georgia so if you have abything else to give me he!! about you can just send a message to a inbox.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:12 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

PEACE
I hear ya dude. but can't you gear it so that you shift right into boost every time?

Then all you would have to do is get enough traction to launch at 3,500 RPM and you are a rocket at the track and even when you are on the street it doesn't take long to get 3,500 RPM in 1st.
I already have. I have 4.10 gears and with the MT ET Streets, I launch at 5000 rpm and the car is an animal in 1st AND second. I pull 1.59 60' in this car and 11.90 et's and that alone is pretty awsome for a stock motor mustang. The problem I have is 3rd and 4th gear. When I make the shift from 2nd to 3rd (even from 6500 RPM) I start third at around 3800 rpm and have to build up boost again - same with 4th. The car is VERY FAST but my mph is fairly low (113.5 mph for 11.989 ET) I THINK the only way I'm going to be able to hit max boost throughout all gears is to set the rev limiter to around 7200 rpms and shift around 7K. I don't think the stock internals and pistons will handle this. I'm going to rebuild the motor but that's a couple months (at least) a way. In the meantime, I thought to get a kenne bell and swap out the pulley to get around 9-10 psi throughout all rpm range. Any feedback on my thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/08B7408D0276430ABA3B0E5EE44BE210.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/09814A1E114E4035B149F63499908686.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/24802/84EC5FD514AC4BFE8E1EE28387DDFEB6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-18-2005, 12:50 PM
orangeinblack

Guys, my friend installed Vortech supercharger and his engine blew. Connecting rod went through the block. He did some investigation and he found out other 5 cases where engine blew when charger installed. Any idea what may cause the problem?

Quick Reply: charger