Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nit picks and annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Nit picks and annoyances

ORIGINAL: MikeyStang

(8) Wipers: This is my wife's complaint so it is second hand: she claims that the delay function is about useless because there is only one delay speed and it never seems to match what you want.
If by "delay" you mean "intermittent", then I must disagree with you there. Mine has about five different speeds I can set it to before switching to the normal "low" speed, then the "higher" speed.

Yes, it does seem, though, that you can never find just the right speed, but that's been the case with every car I've owned.

I don't have an automatic, so I can't comment on your shifter, but I agree with most everything else you said.

One other gripe I have is the number of "rattles" that I hear when I'm driving... seems the whole car rattles all the time.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:26 PM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildabouthorses

I am the wife that drives our Mustang...here's my dumb wifey question... I can't find the button for the emergency flashers! Does the 05 Mustang even have one? (and yes we did test drive a GT and a v6 and fell in love with the V6)

A complaint I do have is my milage trip meter is hard to get it to wipe off the miles and reset it. I push in the button and it seems to take forever for it to change from the odometer to the trip miles. Sometimes twisting the **** for it makes it show up but it still seems you have to hold it for a minute or two to get it to change from the odometer. Because of this...I pull away from the gas pump and sit on the lot someplace playing with the darn thing to clear the trip meter. Am I doing something wrong?
You can't be serious? Can you?

You just push the button and release it and it changes... if you hold the button in, it resets to zero.

The hazard light button is on the console... above and to the right of the stereo.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildabouthorses

I am the wife that drives our Mustang...here's my dumb wifey question... I can't find the button for the emergency flashers! Does the 05 Mustang even have one? (and yes we did test drive a GT and a v6 and fell in love with the V6)

A complaint I do have is my milage trip meter is hard to get it to wipe off the miles and reset it. I push in the button and it seems to take forever for it to change from the odometer to the trip miles. Sometimes twisting the **** for it makes it show up but it still seems you have to hold it for a minute or two to get it to change from the odometer. Because of this...I pull away from the gas pump and sit on the lot someplace playing with the darn thing to clear the trip meter. Am I doing something wrong?
Would it be too Much to ask to get people to READ THE MANUAL. I read mine cover to cover the day I brought the car home, you'd be amazed how these stupid Q's get answered. And as to the headrest and difficult seat folding and the poor tilt wheel function, these are new Federal safety standards. All new vehicles will be required to conform by 2007. Headrest are to prevent your head from snapping back and bouncing off. Seats are designed to lock in place so they won't come forward in a crash. The steering wheel has to maintain a certain angle so the airbag won't kill you. Again, if in the past people would have made real efforts to understand how to use and operate what they had then good ole' uncle sam wouldn't have to force these guidelines to keep us all safe. Most all "safety guidelines" are pushed through by insurance companies tired of paying out because the general population is to ignorant to drive safely on thier own and then file a lawsuit trying to cash in on thier own stupidity.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:11 AM
ss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Seats are designed to lock in place so they won't come forward in a crash
[sm=wtf.gif]

Sorry, I guess I didn't realize that a bajillion people have been killed by seats that conveniently slide forward to let people in the back seat. The ones I have had in other makes lock securely into place when you push them back. Besides the seatbelt holds people in if a crash occurs, not the seat.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 AM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ss
Besides the seatbelt holds people in if a crash occurs, not the seat.
Great point... even if the seat did come loose, that wouldn't send the person past the seatbelt. And without a seatbelt, even if the seat did stay locked into place, the driver wouldn't.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I couldn't agree more. I think it's rediculous. I'm personally thankfull it hasn't come to the point where all cars have to have those awfull automatic sliding seat belts or have to have them hooked up to start the car. Mom had a VW like that.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Blind Spot?

I don't see a blind spot!
Old 12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

on the seatbacks,
my old camaro had the inertia releases like some seatbelts- during braking/deceleration(accidents too) they are locked, but any other time, just tilt forward freely. Actually, I think my Mark VII is same way...I didnt notice this on my test drive- that will be irritating as I think the kids are ALWAYS gonna want to ride for a while at least...hope to pick mine up Saturday

I liked reading this thread- knew the car couldnt be perfect, but hadnt really heard a lot of detailed 'things that could use improvement' anywhere else. Only problems Ive heard have been the tsb issues, windowdrop freezing problem, and hood lift/shake at hi speed...
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 AM
mcgyvertech
1st Gear Member

OK, here's my beef: That li'l lever on the upper seat has broken off on BOTH of my seats. It's flimsy plastic and NObody makes a billet aluminum piece. Now there's a business opportunity for the entrepreneur. I rented a Shelby GT-H and it had a broken lever on the passenger side, Geeez!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 AM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

(1) Headrests: I've complained from day one about how the headrests push your head forward and I find that both my wife and I have to recline the seat to the point that it is uncomfortable just to keep the headrests from rubbing the back of our heads as we drive.
Never been a problem for me.
(2) Front seats: I really can't stand how the front seat-backs work. To let someone in the back, you have to fold the seat forward and then set the position again manually. There is no quick release like most cars that allows you to just pop the seat forward and then move it back to where it was. Worse, if you only have one hand available and you try to use that big gawdy lever on the back of the seat to flick the seat forward to put some carryout behind the seat, you flick the lever with your right hand and it is difficult to keep the lever pulled up as the seat goes forward so it always grinds and ratchets and stops long before the full forward position.
Yes that could be better, but I rarely have a backseat passanger.
(3) High beams: I find the high/low beam lever to be very poorly designed in that when you pull back on the stalk, you get high beams immediately but when someone is bearing down on you and you need to get the high beams off as quickly as possible, they won't turn off until you pull the stalk all the way back, release it, and then they finally go back to low beams once it is fully released. If Ford really needed a poor design like this at least they could have made the low-to-high switch the slow one not the high-to-low where it always appears that you are at least a second too slow from avoiding blinding people.
Works fine for me.
(4) Tilt steering: I should say "movable column" because that's what it is. Like many imports, the tilt steering just raises/lowers the entire steering column making the tilt nearly useless. I just set it and don't even use it any more. It's certainly no help getting in and out of the car and I can't tilt it to where I want it anyway because it just lowers the entire column and blocks the gauges.
Set mine also and do not use it any more in my Mustang, Ranger, F-150 and Aerostar.
(5) Ignition switch: The ignition switch (key hole) is so low on the steering column that if you have a key ring, your other keys will constantly be dangling and bouncing up against your leg as you drive.
??? My keyring consists of a Mustang key and a remote, I do not understand the problem.
(6) Seat belt release: The seat belt release switch is so far down between the driver's seat and the center console that they might as well have mounted it under the seat! I always find myself using two fingers to try to poke the buckle down in that little recessed slot between the seat and the console to buckle it. And no... I'm not fat.
Not a problem for me.
(7) Shifter: The T-shifter for the automatic seems a bit "unsure" especially when you put it in park. It doesn't seem to "click" into park like all other automatics I've driven so sometimes I find that it isn't all the way in park.
N/A I have a manual.
(8) Wipers: This is my wife's complaint so it is second hand: she claims that the delay function is about useless because there is only one delay speed and it never seems to match what you want.
I never rains in Southern California.

fd

Quick Reply: Nit picks and annoyances