Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto vs Manual Trans

I'm all about the manual trans in my GT. Sure, sometimes it gets a little annoying in traffic, which as a New Yorker is a large part of my driving life, but you get used to it and it's worth it. Having such precise control over the way power is transferred from the engine to the wheels, you just can't beat that. It makes for a much more intimate driving experience. In the Mustang, with RWD, I couldn't imagine going any other way. There's just so much more you can do with RWD and a manual transmission.

That being said, the auto trans in the GT is excellent and with the right tuning it can be as fast as the manual (or nearly so) but for me it's about the feel and the driving experience.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:53 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

I can do anything in my auto the sticker's can do. I run it through and back down in manual whenever i want to. i have tuned the H*LL out of my auto and it acts so close to a standard shift by just leaving it in drive very few people can tell it's an auto. It upshifts and downshifts with aggression all by itself. Just the way i like it.
you can't power shift.

No offence intended. Most guys are faster with a properly tuned auto and with a high stall converter they can shift firm and fast, but I have beeen driving manual trans my whole life and I like the fact that I am in full control of the shifting and I can use the clutch to put the power on.

Either way is cool but personally, I don't know why anyoe would buy an auto mustang.

These are only my personal feelings. I judge thee not LOL. I think it's great that everyone can have whatever they like. As long as it's a stang you are cool in my book
Old 12-20-2005, 01:34 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

I don't know how to drive a stick because i have never done it. that's mostly why i got an auto
Old 12-20-2005, 01:36 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: andyman

I don't know how to drive a stick because i have never done it. that's mostly why i got an auto

You're still cool to me
Old 12-20-2005, 01:39 AM
BlackSVTsnake302
4th Gear Member

I prefere manual anyday, unless im like 90 and cant shift, ill always drive stick heh
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Pookey

Hee Hee, maybe I'm an idiot..or maybe I'm just a 22 year old that thinks he's invincible. Either way if you love the 05's you may hate me for this.

I ordered my gt having never driven a manual in my life. In fact after i ordered my standard transmision gt, i decided it would be a good idea to practice on a stick, so i got a friend to teach me on his V-6 mustang....probably around 170-180 hp for an 01? I drove for about 15 minutes no stalls...although the engine did shudder a few times. We both decided i would at least be able to get where i was trying to go in my new car when it arrived. Needless to say when it arrived i went from driving a smoking hot chick magnet, chevy malibu...to on 05 mustang gt standard. I will be honest and say that i realised the error of my ways when i started my car for the first time and watched the hood jump up. It was at that point that i began to worry about looking like a complete idiot trying to drive the car through the dealership..knowing that at this point my total drving time on a manual was about 15 minutes. I put my car in reverse and hit the throttle just a little to get a feel for the engine. The tac jumped up to 4k and i realised that it was the car that was going to take me for a ride...not the other way around. After cursing to myself i finally decided to suck it up and make a fool of myself in front of the dealers and other customers. Long story short i made it out of the dealership, and home without stalling. AND WITHOUT GRINDING!!!! I have only ground a gear once and it almost made me cry.

Moral of the story.... I'm having more fun driving than i ever have in my life... Manual transmission and no regrets 8) Keep that in mind when you order your car.

Old 12-20-2005, 10:41 AM
05vert
1st Gear Member

It makes me laugh that this comes up evey other month or so. Manual transmissions are more fun, but also more work....weigh that in your decision. I too live in a high traffic area (Boston), and it's no big deal, just takes getting used to, and some calf raises to build up those muslces...at least in the left leg!

I bought a 20 year old Vette once...beautiful car, first time I ever drove a stick, it can be done. In fairness, I'd been riding motorcycles for a while, so I certainly had the concept down!

I had a very pretty girl comment this past summer....that it was hot when I was shifting hard, with the engine roaring. That's enough justification for me!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Hambone
2nd Gear Member

Lap dances are a whole lot easier when driving with an auto

Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Dude you can learn how to drive a stick easy. It's not like piloting a school bus.
ORIGINAL: andyman

Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

I actually kinda regret buying a stick at times. But then again if I wouldn't have one I would probably regret that.
It's a lot if fun when u have an open road etc. but being stuck in traffic it sucks badly.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual Trans