Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody figured a way to Retro-Engineer a throttle cable on 05-06 cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 04:22 AM
mylilgt

Default Has anybody figured a way to Retro-Engineer a throttle cable on 05-06 cars

I'm so unsatisfied with throttle response on my 05. I have the C&L intake with the Diablosport tune and I just don't have the response that I believe the car should have. It seems that the trans (auto) doesn't kick down when punching the throttle instead it hesitates then drops into gear leaving way to much time between the kickdown and the shift. I contacted Diablo about possibly adjusting the shift variables but didn't feel they under stood my inquiry, they advised that the paramiters that you can adjust the -20 or +20 has to do with how long it says in gear or how quick it shifts. I set all the settings to -10 for each of the shifts, if anyone has a better explanation or has made adjustments that seem to work for them please send me what your running and I'll try and see if I'm running the wrong sttings to get the trans to react quicker to a down shift. Hopefully some one will come out with a retro engineered kit to put the cable back in the picture but until then I would appreciate hearing some of your settings aince I come from the days of the dinosaurs carbs & dual point dist.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:13 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Has anybody figured a way to Retro-Engineer a throttle cable on 05-06 cars

First.... You shouldn't have bought an auto

Contact Doug at BamaChips. He can tune it out for you. You're not going to accomplish much trying to do it yourself with a hand held tuner. It is going to take adjustments that are not available to you.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:26 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Has anybody figured a way to Retro-Engineer a throttle cable on 05-06 cars

You messed up by mixing an auto with a diablo. X-cal2 are the best for the autos.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:48 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

you didn't make a mistake buying an auto these guys are pervs that think there is some sensual experience by pushing a pedal down and the thinking that there is more control over your driving style with a manual is bunk. i don't know why they are so hateful towards auto cars. my guess is they have never driven a real race car(most do have automatic trans in them) or a car that has an auto setup properly.
your problem is you just need to get an xcal2 and from an experienced tuner like lidio iacobelli at alternative auto. lidio worked on the tune for the autos for months before releasing it to the public(he owns an auto himself that runs mid 11's).with his tune my car drives as if it has a cable and shifts are solid and predictable. also with a good torque converter you will surprise some unsuspecting pedal pervs.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:51 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Autos are sooooooooooooooooo slow.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:01 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

you didn't make a mistake buying an auto these guys are pervs that think there is some sensual experience by pushing a pedal down and the thinking that there is more control over your driving style with a manual is bunk. i don't know why they are so hateful towards auto cars. my guess is they have never driven a real race car(most do have automatic trans in them) or a car that has an auto setup properly.
your problem is you just need to get an xcal2 and from an experienced tuner like lidio iacobelli at alternative auto. lidio worked on the tune for the autos for months before releasing it to the public(he owns an auto himself that runs mid 11's).with his tune my car drives as if it has a cable and shifts are solid and predictable. also with a good torque converter you will surprise some unsuspecting pedal pervs.
Damn...does somebody need a hug for Christmas? Me being a perv has nothing to do with me joking with him about buying an automatic ( and I was joking, thus the at the end of the sentence ). I didn't see my statement as being hateful, and I offered a suggestion as to who to turn to for tuning help for what he is seeking. So unclinch a bit, OK?

Never driven a real race car because most do have automatics? Hummm... Lets play "pick which ones are automatics"
F1
Indy
NASCAR
GTA
Top Fuel
Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure all of those are real race cars.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

I love the throttle responce on mine, no lag. I suggest you get an Xcal2 and get the firmness set and a good tune.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:05 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

hug please... it's not you, sorry if that seemed ****.this thread just won't quit. just want people to know that they don't have to trade in their autos just to be able to spin wheels. it wasn't meant to be harsh but i did catch some flack for buying the auto from all my racing buddies...funny thing is all of them have glides in their cars just like my old one. i have owned both and almost bought a 5speed but knowing it can't handle but so many flat foot launches i went auto. oh and none of those cars listed has a real clutch assisted manual trans(similar to what the mustangs have). they are all clutchless(they do have a clutch but it's only used for take off then the gears are shifted without a clutch having to be engaged...just like an automatic it's really the best of both worlds!) or in the case of the top fuel only a clutch and a reverser no gears 1:1 direct all the time.
[sm=alcoholic.gif]i need a drink i have been listening to dora the explorer all f-n day.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:45 AM
stangxs
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724
pushing a pedal down and the thinking that there is more control over your driving style with a manual is bunk
haha, obviously shown by this thread, you DO have more control over your driving style with a manual;, doh!

read what he wrote, he's complaing that his car won't down shift fast enough when gives full throttle... with a manual trans, you don't have to wait, oyu can do it yourself!
Old 12-26-2005, 02:40 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

To those that say manual is superior:

Take 10 mustang drivers. Give them stick.

I guarantee you that 1, 2 -at the most- will outdrive a shift-kitted auto.

Simple fact is, I know the limits of my driving skill. I don't think I could shift a manual faster than a kitted auto, and if I could I'd hate to lose the guaranteed consistancy. Not that many people can shift that quickly and if they can, I doubt they can do it with any sort of consistancy.

Yeah, manual is more fun, but I don't ever have to **** with my auto in traffic. Soon, Diablo will have their Auto Tranny revision piped down to us and I'll be perfectly happy again. =)

Quick Reply: Has anybody figured a way to Retro-Engineer a throttle cable on 05-06 cars