Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would A 05 GT be a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:34 AM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Would A 05 GT be a good first car?

Very well said Alfrye!

I myself didn't wreck my first used car at age 16 (Delta 88 Oldsmobile) but a girl cousin who bought it never checked the oil and ended up freezing up the engine! I did get my first speeding ticket in that car and had to go to court (60 in a 30 zone). Next car was my brand new Nova as I had proven I was responsible for payments on everything so Dad co signed for it (wouldn't let me get a Mach I mustang due to the slanted rear window being too hard to see out of) Well guess what, my future husband was driving my brand new 74 Chevy Nova I had at age 19 coming to get me at work and a drunk rear ended him and totaled it. I didn't have my first and so far only accident until about the 6th car after the Nova, I rear ended a car when the car in front of me just swerved around it never braking to warn me there was a car sitting there waiting to turn left! Ironically the poor guy had just gotten it out of the body shop from another accident he had been in! That was the Chevy Astro van I had an accident in.
I got one more speeding ticket but that was my hubby's fault, we were driving through Dallas, Tx and he kept saying speed up speed up all the cars are passing you. I said they were speeding and I was not...but he kept on. I got mad and sped up and danged if a cop didn't pull over 5 of us at once with in a few minutes and gave us all tickets for speeding! I think we had the 97 Pontiac Bonneville at that time.
Now we have the Mustang and I have been amazed I haven't been pulled over as I have looked down at the speedometer and said oh man I had no idea I was going that fast...going by a couple of sitting cops who fortunatly didn't come after me. I have to admit my hubby acts like a 16 year old in the Mustang sometimes...and he's almost 50 years old and knows better but the car just begs to be played with and I can imagine what a 16 year old would pull driving one!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 AM
phenomenal_thunder
1st Gear Member

i wish i was in your situation. i would have loved to have a car like that when i was 16. i am 20 now and when i was 16 i had to save up to buy my own car. i bought a 94 ford probe, 3 weeks later i totaled the car. so i dont think it matters what you have, if you are meant to wreck it is meant to happen. I think it would be better to get a car that you love and that you will want to keep for a real long time. i am on my fourth vehicle already because i keep getting cars that are cheap and i can afford instead of getting a car that i love. So if you can get a car you love now and have someone buy it for yea, why would you not do it? i would in a heart beat. but if fast cars are what you want to be driving why would you buy and old truck? thats not going to prepare you for a fast car. you might as well get and just get used to it now. get the mustang and forget what all the old farts are telling you, most of the people are just jealous because they didnt have the same opportunities when they were young.

Later and enjoy that mustang.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

5xStang, I agree with you
I was also a safe/mature/grown up/responisble 16 year old and my first car was a 1971 Trans AM
With a 455 H.O engine, It had 370hp@4800 and 480 lb/ft of torque. A Rochester Quadrajet 4-bbl carburetor sat below the shaker/air cleaner. And the TurboHydraMatic 400 with B&M Shift Plates. Fricken Car Flew, I loved this car it was awsome, Total Chick Magnet

9 Months into the car I was Challenged by a gearhead at school, to make a long story short, I wreaked the car drag racing when I could not stop at the Light and hit a truck broad side, seriously injuring the passenger and putting me in the hospital for over 4 months in ICU.

JT_Moore05,
I think you should get the V6 and when you get out of school build up the V6 with a SC or Turbo
maybe trade-in on shelby in 08 for graduation [sm=smiley20.gif] Just be safe and get to know your car before you get crazy with it, because you will get crazy with it, one can not help it, these cars are FUN; V6 or V8