Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do about front licence plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 10:12 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What to do about front licence plates

ORIGINAL: Martin123

Dude, how low is your car. I noticed in your pics the front is pretty scraped in the lower bumper.
Damn gardner truck dropped a piece of styrofoam and I thought, "it's just styrofoam" so I didn't swerve. Turned out to have a rake in it. What you see is my best attempts at home repairs and I'm getting the front fascia re-done but it's currently number 4 on my list of priorities for it...LOL
Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 AM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GJP05

Do a search. There was a thread about this and I think they used magnets to hold the plate on there. It gave a detailed explanation of how it was done.
I posted this, it may have been on another site,
I live in Virginia, they require a from plate as well.
I had a few old Computer Harddrives and removed the barium ferrite magnets from them and used liquid nails to mount then to the plate
and used liquid nails and glued metal plates behind the bumper and the magnets are so strong that it takes a lot of force to remove the plate, if you do not have access to computer hard drives, look here.. Plate Magnets These "Flat plate magnets" work great, they are pricy but will hold your Lic plate on even at high speeds

some good prices on flat NdFeB, grade N40 magnets

Neodymium magnets are more powerfull than barium ferrite magnets
Old 01-03-2006, 08:49 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

^^^^ Awesome, I'm gonna try that. What did you use to keep the magnets from scratching the paint on your bumper? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:31 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TMG

Dont do it, i live in CA and its required also. But when i get pulled over i will gladly ask the officer to show me where exactly the plate is supposed to go. Its not out fault there is no mounting brackets.

yeah doesn't matter if there's no holes...gotta drill the bumper.....
in Colorado it's required front plates as well...
when i picked my car up from the dealer (literally 30 minutes after it was shipped in) the damn dealer sticker and front and rear license plate screws were already in place even though I told them to do nothing....well i had them removed the dealer stickers but the front bumper still add the holes in it...I still think the plate looks dumb, so I keep it in my car with the two mounting screws...if i'm ever pulled over I just get out and reinstall it then take if off again later. Only state partrol cares about that crap-the city/county cops could care less. I did it once when CSP pulled me over for that reason, and they let me go after I reinstalled it.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:53 PM
BrookShadow_RC
2nd Gear Member

Mustang_Mac,

You got a ticket? Where? What city? I still do not have mine on and do not want to mount it. Rumor has it that this year Texas will no longer require it, so the state will save X millions in manuf costs.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:27 PM
swieduwi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpikeGT

^^^^ Awesome, I'm gonna try that. What did you use to keep the magnets from scratching the paint on your bumper? Thanks.
Stick on Felt pads from hobby shop

I will post Pic as soon as I get home
Old 01-05-2006, 05:12 PM
martd

I live in the UK and we need front plates also.

Check out mine and see what you think............

It is stuck on, by the way.

Hope this helps. BIG fine for us if we're caught without one over here.

Cheers

Martin
Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: TeufelHunden_05

I live in a state that requires front and rear plates. I really don't want to drill holes in the bumper of my brand new '06 GT. Is there any way around putting holes in my car? It is only temporary because I am moving in 3 months and wont need a front plate then.
don't put the holes in your bumper for only 3 months [&:] I made that mistake when I got a fix-it ticket in CA before I moved to AZ that doesn't require a front plate, now I got 2 friggin holes in my front bumper []
Old 01-06-2006, 02:58 AM
retromustang

You don't even get the option in NY which sux.
They come mounted right from the dealer.

How many cops are looking at you front plate before you get pulled over anyway??
Old 01-06-2006, 04:25 AM
NoOriginalNamesLeft
2nd Gear Member

I'm glad that in South Carolina we're not required to have front plates on any car. Most dealers put them on anyways for some reason. My dad had a front lisence plate on his new dealer car, pulled too close the garage door while trying to get the stupid remote to activate, and ended up cleaving the plate clear off the bumper, no scratches or holes. Apparently they had just been 3M taped on, and the door only hit the plate.

Quick Reply: What to do about front licence plates