Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone bought a hitch for their 2005+ mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
crazykaka

Default Has anyone bought a hitch for their 2005+ mustang?

Before anyone blasts me for inquiring about a hitch, I know that I'm not driving a truck. I'm not looking to tow all the time, just to tow a small aluminum boat here and there over the summer for fishing trips.

I have a 2005 V6 and would like to know if anyone has installed a hitch on their mustang.

Ideally, I'd like to find something that can be easily hidden or is discrete.

I've found a few online but haven't seen what they look like installed. I'dd hate to buy it only to find out that it sticks out and ruins the look of the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone bought a hitch for their 2005+ mustang?

I don't have one myself, but I know you can get something like a "hiding hitch" which you wont even see unless you put the actual hitch on with the ball on it. Mercedes uses that system on several of their cars.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:05 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

We've been talking about adding a hitch since we have a large motorcycle trailer that could be pulled by our v6 Mustang as the booklet says it can handle 1,000 lbs. Our trailer weighs 195 empty and we can add about 600 pounds of stuff inside. Haven't gotten serious enough yet to look for a hitch yet though. Am interested in what you do find out.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:47 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I am looking at possibly getting a hidden hitch as I would like to transport my mountain or road bike without having to use the trunk mounted rack as they do a number on the paint.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

I would be interested in a hidden hitch as well to transport my Kayak trailer.

TangTang; I just have to ask. In your signature picture, is that girl a picture of you or not?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:57 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

Please I refuse to let any of you do this to your cars....please I beg of you. I guess if the stang is the ONLY vehicle you have there is nothing I can do to prevent this travesty from occuring, BUT if is not your only vehicle just use your other car/truck for that purpose. These are not draft horses people, they are thoroughbreds for some and quarter horses for others...depending on what type of racing you like.

please...i beg of you. there is nothing worse than seeing a car like ours trailering anything down the road.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: M

Please I refuse to let any of you do this to your cars....please I beg of you. I guess if the stang is the ONLY vehicle you have there is nothing I can do to prevent this travesty from occuring, BUT if is not your only vehicle just use your other car/truck for that purpose. These are not draft horses people, they are thoroughbreds for some and quarter horses for others...depending on what type of racing you like.

please...i beg of you. there is nothing worse than seeing a car like ours trailering anything down the road.
please tell me you are kidding.

I used to tow my ski boat with my Camaro. Even had matching rims on the trailer.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
crazykaka

ORIGINAL: M

I don't know what the big deal is.
It's not like peple in teh forum are talking about replacing their SUVs or Trucks with mustangs as Heavy duty tow vehicles. we're talking about having the convenince of a hit to be used for recreational purposes.

Thanks for the insightful post.

Old 01-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Well it is like this for me:

I could not get a hitch for the Mustang;
Then if I want to go Kayaking I'll have to either put the Kayaks on the hood of the Mustang or use the Wife's car to tow the trailer.
If I use the Wife's car she will then have to drive the Mustang while I'm out Kayaking and she doesn't know how to drive a stick.

My other option was to buy an automatic Mustang so she would be able to drive it.

Both options were not to my liking.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:52 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

please tell me you are kidding.

I used to tow my ski boat with my Camaro. Even had matching rims on the trailer.
I'm not kidding, I don't condone this on camaros either.

I don't know what the big deal is.
It's not like peple in teh forum are talking about replacing their SUVs or Trucks with mustangs as Heavy duty tow vehicles. we're talking about having the convenince of a hit to be used for recreational purposes.

Thanks for the insightful post.
I am not saying you are making this into an SUV, it's just my opinion that it shouldn't be done. If you wanted a sporty multipurpose vehicle then why not buy a turbo outback or something along those lines.

And i dont know about insightful, maybe opinionated [sm=exactly.gif]

Well it is like this for me:

I could not get a hitch for the Mustang;
Then if I want to go Kayaking I'll have to either put the Kayaks on the hood of the Mustang or use the Wife's car to tow the trailer.
If I use the Wife's car she will then have to drive the Mustang while I'm out Kayaking and she doesn't know how to drive a stick.

My other option was to buy an automatic Mustang so she would be able to drive it.

Both options were not to my liking.
I did say if its the only vehicle you own, then what else can you do??? Nothing, you have to put a hitch on it.

Listen everybody, no offence to anyone that does put a hitch on their car...you're gonna do what you're gonna do. Some might think I'm crazy for putting on a supercharger or a whole new suspension on a brand new car. All I'm saying is that these cars (even camaros) were designed for a purpose and it's not towing...But believe me I understand you can't always have the best of both worlds, a towing vehicle and a fun sporty vehicle, its just not always affordable to do that. I just probably would've bought a different vehicle if towing anything was in the picture.

Please don't anyone take anything the wrong way, I am not saying you can't do it, I just personally, probably along with a lot of other individuals would prefer not see something like this done on any sports car, let alone a stang.

Just my .02 cents worth so don't kill me. And just be careful towing with those pretty cars.

Quick Reply: Has anyone bought a hitch for their 2005+ mustang?