Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights on with High Beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Fog lights on with High Beams

ORIGINAL: 68to05stang

Have you ever driven down a West Texas road between 7pm and 6am? I would add a light bar to the top like my bronco if it wouldn't mess up the Mustang's lines. I don't drive around town or even on the local highways with my fogs on. I do however want every advantage to see the deer or other thing in the path of my car when I'm driving around with my family. It acutally makes more sense for the fogs to be on with highs and off with the lows. So if the fogs are so bright they burn out retina (membrane inside the eye), why are they allowed to be on when you switch from high to low? So you're trading one brgiht light for another?

If you are anybody comes around a corner, I will dim my lights as I always do. But going down the road when nobody's around, they are going to be on as bright as I can get it.

[sm=exactly.gif]

Totally agree...these Texas deer have no respect for a Mustang! (or motorcycle [sm=yikesomg.gif]
Old 01-11-2006, 03:12 PM
68to05stang

O.K., i was going to type it all up with pics later but here's a quick run down.

1. When you turn the fog switch on, it sends a ground signal to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) over a wire (Orange with Light Green Stripe).

2. The SJB then sends a ground signal out to the fog light relay (Dark Blue with White stripe).

3. The relay then sends +12v to the fog lights and you get light.

Now, the same SJB does about the same thing with the other lights including the brights or high beams. It knows that when the high beam signal somes in, it turns off the fog lights by stopping the ground on the Dark Blue/White stripe wire. What we have to do is take the SJB out of the equation. Basically make the fogs work on the switch and only the switch. What I did was just cut the Blue/White Stripe wire coming out of the box, and then connected the end that goes to the Fog Light Relay to the Orange/Light Green wire coming from the switch. Now when the switch is on, a ground signal is sent directly to the blue/white stripe wire, bypassing the SJB.

This was all done on the passenger side of the vehichle, just behind the kick panel is the SJB. The blue plug on the front contains the Orange/Light Green Stripe wire. The Blue/White Stripe wire is a little more difficult. It plugs onto the back of the SJB but I found it in the bundle of wires going though the firewall a little forward of the SJB. I unwrapped the wire bundle, dug out the thin blue wire and cut. I figured that if I made a mistake, well, I tried really hard not too.

There are a few catches that I haven't looked much into yet:

I think the SJB will turn off the headlights if you leave them on for a long time. Since we bypassed the SJB on the way to the fog lights, it won't be able to turn them off in that event. It should still turn off the headlights, just not the fog lights.

Also, a guy mentioned that the switch might not be able to handle the current going through the switch and directly to the fogs with out going through the SJB. I honestly don't know, yet. I need to test the current draw over the wires but they were both small gauge, both plug into the "low current bus" on the SJB. I think it's safe but better to test it out first.

Legality is probably an issue. Most states have some sort of law against this but some states have laws that are against the original setup too. I found one state, I think it was Oregon, that seems that the fogs can't be on unless they are dimmed with the brights. So it sounds like they should only work when the brights are on.

And I would even argue that the High + Fogs are still less light then you can buy from an HID kit, so how is that legal?

I'll take some more pics as soon as I have the time.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:22 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

I'd like to turn on the fog lights,without [hr]turniing on the headlights .
Old 01-11-2006, 03:29 PM
68to05stang

That's actually a physical limitation of the current switch. I'm sure it could be modified but I'm good with fogs and brights.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:35 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jts

You can turn your fogs on when only your parking lights are on. It achieves pretty much the same effect, except your parking lights are on too.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 PM
scramblr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68to05stang

O.K., i was going to type it all up with pics later but here's a quick run down.

1. When you turn the fog switch on, it sends a ground signal to the Smart Junction Box (SJB) over a wire (Orange with Light Green Stripe).

2. The SJB then sends a ground signal out to the fog light relay (Dark Blue with White stripe).

3. The relay then sends +12v to the fog lights and you get light.

Now, the same SJB does about the same thing with the other lights including the brights or high beams. It knows that when the high beam signal somes in, it turns off the fog lights but stopping the ground on the Dark Blue/White stripe wire. What we have to do is take the SJB out of the equation. Basically make the fogs work on the switch and only the switch. What I did was just cut the Blue/White Stripe wire coming out of the box, and then connected the end that goes to the Fog Light Relay to the Orange/Light Green wire coming from the switch. Now when the switch is on, a ground signal is sent directly to the blue/white stripe wire, bypassing the SJB.

This was all done on the passenger side of the vehichle, just behind the kick panel is the SJB. The blue plug on the front contains the Orange/Light Green Stripe wire. The Blue/White Stripe wire is a little more difficult. It plugs onto the back of the SJB but I found it in the bundle of wires going thought the firewall a little forward of the SJB. I unwrapped the wire bundle, dug out the thin blue wire and cut. I figured that if I made a mistake, well, I tried really hard not too.

There are a few catches that I haven't looked much into yet:

I think the SJB will turn off the headlights if you leave them on for a long time. Since we bypassed the SJB on the way to the fog lights, it won't be able to turn them off in that event. It should still turn off the headlights, just not the fog lights.

Also, a guy mentioned that the switch might not be able to handle the current going through the switch and directly to the fogs with out going through the SJB. I honestly don't know, yet. I need to test the current draw over the wires but they were both small gauge, both plug into the "low current bus" on the SJB. I think it's safe but better to test it out first.

Legality is probably an issue. Most states have some sort of law against this but some states have laws that are against the original setup too. I found one state, I think it was Oregon, that seems that the fogs can't be on unless they are dimmed with the brights. So it sounds like they should only work when the brights are on.

And I would even argue that the High + Fogs are still less light then you can buy from an HID kit, so how is that legal?

I'll take some more pics as soon as I have the time.
Great write up. Let us know when you've tested the current and please post some pics when you get a chance. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 01-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TorchRedBeauty

ORIGINAL: jts

You can turn your fogs on when only your parking lights are on. It achieves pretty much the same effect, except your parking lights are on too.
i think that depends on where he lives, where i live we have to have our headlights on during the day, so if my car is running my headlights are on.