Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the opinion on splash guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:33 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

Default What's the opinion on splash guards

Does anyone use them or do you think they ruin the lines of the car???

Front and back or just front or just back ???

It gets pretty grimy underneath there. What's the best product and method to get off some of that difficult to remove gunk.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:05 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What's the opinion on splash guards

Some like them other don't. It does kinda change the look of the car but I just got tired of the way the new model Stang kicks all that crap up onto the back fender. Got mine from the Ford Accessories site. I won't be getting any for the front as I feel the side skirt works well enough. It would be nice if there were moulded ones out there but never seen 'em.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/E8278AEBBDC44B1EA03083F511FB9216.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/0B58CC6BAA7F42C3B066454EC58C90E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/6F38D95F33074DB8B50997C2314F1DA3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the pictures. According to the Ford site they say that are "molded" but who knows.

molded
Old 01-16-2006, 01:47 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

no molded fronts available though
Old 01-16-2006, 01:56 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

as much as I hated to put flaps on, I did last week...fronts can be attached with existing rocker pegs BTW...

if you gotta drive it in bad weather, might want to look here:http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=42484
I found a lot of gaps in the sealer under mine, and the hole atop the flap in front of rear tires worried me...I sealed mine up, but if its open at least keep it flushed out(but I fear rinsing salt/dirt into rockers).
Ive had mine up in the air all week trying to seal stuff up...cant believe how easy front fenderwells come out- sweet. Ive only got 300 miles on mine, and only drove in rain once/washed 3x, yet fender lip behind turnsignal had a LOT of crap built up- behind rocker front too...pulling fenderwells out makes very easy to clean completely. I'd suggest front flaps even if tiny just to help keep crud from getting behind rocker flange...mine cover more under the wheelwell than anything.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:12 AM
donnyonee
1st Gear Member

as long as your tires are skinny enough to hide behind them. my 285s stick out to 1/4" inside top of wheel well and the molded ones would be a waste of time and money. they would not offer enough coverage to do any good.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:19 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

which splash guards would go on front if they only have ones for rear?

can the rear ones go up front?
Old 01-16-2006, 03:42 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

If you had asked this question without pics - I would have said they only belong on trucks but after seeing the pics, I actually think they look good..... coodos!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

yep. seeing is believing. the back looks fine just wondering how the front would look.

i washed my car today and it was pretty dirty on the panels behind the tires.

in the summer when they are re-tarring roads sometimes its still a little wet and i've had some road tar wind up on the panels.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:02 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

one thing to think about if youre driving in the winter- front wheels kick up a LOT of crap behind inner fender, inside rocker covers and up in rocker drains(I know as I had my fenders/rocker covers off to undercoat the hard way). You can get a cheap pair of flat plastic mudflaps at autozone for a few bucks, cut the bottom off a bit, drill 2 holes in the right spots on the flaps and pop them on the car with a flat tipped screwdriver or even a coin in about 10 seconds...if anyone wants I can pop mine back off, scan and email you fullsize 'where to put holes' picture. the front rocker cover pin retainers hold it nice and tight, no messing with the car required.
front of rockers is nice and clean...might put some ducttape over front of rocker so plastic dont rub paint, pop them off in the spring- no one will ever know they were on there. really keeps the crud out of the innerfender area/front lip of rocker cover.

I put big dorky rubber mudflaps on the rear- and then put trimmed up set of truck flaps under them inside the rear to keep wheelwells/mufflers a bit cleaner- but had to drill 3 holes in (plastic) the car to mount though. plan on pulling off in the summer, but want to hold on to my paint till then

had I realized ford offered rear flaps I'd have bought them- although what I put on hang much lower- no mud even on bottom rear of bumper...looks thike the nice looking ford flaps are a little short, but at least will keep side of car cleaner. I'll probably get a set next year.

Quick Reply: What's the opinion on splash guards