Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems during high speed turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:30 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default problems during high speed turns

a couple days ago when i went out racing with a couple of my friends, i ran into some difficulty when i trying to take a U-turn at high speeds (about 110mph) it was not a tight U-turn like on regular roads, it was much more wide

when i started to take it, it was fine, but at the crest of the U, my car started to, or at least what seemed like, break then release, giving the feeling that i just smashed on my breaks and ABS just kicked in...but i was definitly not breaking at all, just turing

is this a suspention problem? or was my traction control pretty much saying "you are an idiot"?
also, if it was my tcs, would it be safe to take a turn like this with it off? or would this send my car into an uncontrollable skid?

thanks
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 AM
blackNchrome05
1st Gear Member

Default RE: problems during high speed turns

i dont think flippin Uturns @ 110mph is such a great idea... i dont think only your traction control is gonna be saying you're an idiot...
Old 01-17-2006, 02:35 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

HAHAHAH.. my car does the same thing! .. I dont think ford planned people taking turns at that speed.. hehe
Old 01-17-2006, 02:36 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackNchrome05

i dont think flippin Uturns @ 110mph is such a great idea... i dont think only your traction control is gonna be saying you're an idiot...
lol...this U-turn would be around the width of about 8-10 highway lanes...so it is not that crazy
Old 01-17-2006, 02:47 AM
blackNchrome05
1st Gear Member

ah ha, i stand corrected. i dont have any of them 8 lane highways around here...nor any open space even close to that. where do you find space like that?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 AM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

traction control has nothing to do with cornering. all it does is prevent your tires from slipping (in a straight line, preventing fishtails or uncontrollable fishtailing)

i could see traction control coming on in a hard turn like that if a tire spun a little, were you powering thru it? (ie foot on the gas) or just coasting?
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackNchrome05

ah ha, i stand corrected. i dont have any of them 8 lane highways around here...nor any open space even close to that. where do you find space like that?

big empty parking lots, lol
chrisc
5th Gear Member

we have a lot of huge main roads here that are not really part of any city, but that are still in the county which are all blocked off by cones (but in completely fine condition) and the great part about it is that there are no cops that go there, because it is not part of any city

they are not actually 8 lanes, what i meant is that between the two different directions of the U-turn there is about that much room. the road itself is actually a 4 lane (which is nice because even though they are supposed to be in different directions, we can use them all in one because there are no other cars there)
Old 01-17-2006, 02:55 AM
blackNchrome05
1st Gear Member

sounds like fun man...
you have a v6, are you Uturning to the right or left? you might be sliding when you turn to the left because all the power on our V6's comes from the rear right wheel... so the outside wheel has the power. unless i'm mixed up. would power on the outside or inside wheel cause slding?
Old 01-17-2006, 02:59 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Corpo

traction control has nothing to do with cornering. all it does is prevent your tires from slipping (in a straight line, preventing fishtails or uncontrollable fishtailing)

i could see traction control coming on in a hard turn like that if a tire spun a little, were you powering thru it? (ie foot on the gas) or just coasting?
i coasted into the turn, then powered through the arch and out of it...so that could have been it, but it was definitly the feeling of the car attempting to make the turn a bit wider than what i was trying to do, but then again, that could have just been physics working against me

however, i did have that jerking feeling the whole way thorugh the turn, even when i was coasting at the beginning

oh, and forgot to mention, right before i took the turn, i was on the very outer lane, so when i was changing into the most inner lane (passing from the 4th to 1st lane), i was already feeling this

Quick Reply: problems during high speed turns