Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems during high speed turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 07:42 AM
ninja205
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: problems during high speed turns

sounds to me if it felt as though it was turning wider than actualy was then its possible understeer (front end slides out) then when you powered up at the apex the over steer (rear sliding out) corrected or counteracted the understeer
Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like understeer to me also, especially if you have a stock suspension.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Well...

The 05/06 Mustangs aren't designed for road racing. They were designed as strip cars that can be driven on the road.

Your problem is caused by the design of the suspension - - DON'T make high speed turns with a stock mustang!

You have a slight disadvantage because of having a fixed ridged rear axel. A reason most road rally cars have IRS.

Now... There are things you can do to make it a better road car. Anti-roll torsion bars, stiffer suspension, and active hydraulic shocks that pressurize on load are what you need.

The sensation you are getting is:

As you make your highspeed turn, your car wants to continue in a straight line.

As you make the turn, inertia is causing your car to “Roll†to the outside of the radius.

The stock suspension – being to soft – allows the side of the car outside the radius to drop and the inside of the radius to rise.

Since the rear axle is solid and mounted at each side of the car, what the car does, the axle tries to do to.

The motion then causes the inside tire, in the rear to actually lift slightly off of the road losing traction.

Since the outside tire is no longer riding flat from the tilting of the axel, it too is losing traction which allows the car to start to drift to the outside.

The motion of the drifting removes some of the energy of the inertia that is causing the roll and so inside rear tire gets a grip again giving you that “jitter†that you feel. This motion can also activate the traction control because it senses that the inside tire is not gripping the road.

Slamming on the brakes will remove more of the energy of inertia, and allowed your rear axel to come in full contact with the road, but since your still turning, the slip sensors think the inside tire is slipping since it is turning slower and so the ABS and Traction control is activated.

To resolve some of this you need an Anti-roll Torsion Bar - - it transfers roll from the outside radius to the inside radius attempting to keep the inside tire on the ground. Active Hydraulic shocks will pressurize when “roll†is sensed by the sensors and will attempt to keep the outside suspension from collapsing under the roll motion.

Lowering your car and tightening up your overall suspension will also help a great deal if you want a “Road Car†verses a “Strip Carâ€.

You will also get “skitter†from the front end if your speed/weight/traction ratio is to high – the front tires are trying to turn the car, but your car WANTS to go straight. The tires will skitter giving you the sensation that the car is not turning correctly for the amount of steering wheel your giving it, may also give you a vibration in the steering wheel. Stickier tires and a stiffer suspension along with a steeper caster/camber angle will alleviate most the steering issue.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

There is no way that these cars will turn 180 degrees at 110mph within a 140 foot radius. Not unless you're just spinning around.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:31 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

yup thats what i call the UNDERSTEER happens to me alot i like goin in turns at high speeds i think the strut bars would help you steer better at high speeds cuz it improves the handling as i heard...
Old 01-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

It was your tac control applying brake, sensing the rears were slipping a bit. Totally normal, but it is a bit intrusive. I actually always drive with the trac control off, even in the rain. I always want to know where my car's limits are, and my trac control is my right foot.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:48 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

What they Said