Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp through the firewall

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Default RE: Amp through the firewall

Steven... any chance of getting some pictures of that, so there is no mistake on where to look for it?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:04 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

yea pics would be great....
Old 01-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

I will try to get pictures up tonight or tomorrow.
In the mean time....go to the right of your battery about one foot. Then go straight down about two feet and you will it.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:59 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard
dayum Todd....

How many Amps is that thing gonna draw? Maybe you will melt the terminals on your battery!
Well, in my last car, the amp wire was about as thick as my pinky. I drove something like 1200 Watts and ran a 50 Amp fuse.
There's no way I'd have hooked that up to the car's fuse panel.

I have yet to install a new system in the mustang, still debating the options.

skilz4u2nv mentioned he was using a 4 guage wire, which isn't a little wire... it'll allow you to draw a good amount of juice, so I imagined he planned on running a decent sized amp, hence my concern about using the fuse box
Old 01-20-2006, 08:14 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

yea, its gonna be a 4gauge wire that I want going directly to the battery... It's gonna power an audiobahn 1600watt amp... i will probably run the wires this weekend, so i can start building the sub box which I was going to have some guy at the custom shop do for me but he was gonna charge between $1000-$3500 [:@]
Old 01-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

No offense, but be really careful.
No offense again, but building a system around an audiobahn amp is kinda entry level. The wiring is difficult in this car. EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to do correctly.
$1000 sounds like a good deal if done correctly by a pro
Old 01-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

What frequency are you going for in building the sub box? Curious to see what people can tune to with the large trunk in these cars.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:57 AM
prozac
2nd Gear Member

its really not that hard to wire or build ur own box, i do both.but he is right audiobahn subs are pretty much entry level and thats it unless u buy the really high end one, i forget the name. but anyways i did this a few weeks ago, there is a huge rubber grommet just below the battery on the passanger side, when u pull off the kick panels and pull back the carpet u cant miss it its huge. i drilled a small hole through it (its not very thick) and then i just ran the wire through it where i knew it would be a tight fit. no holes necessary, also dont put ur rcas and ur remote wire on the same side as your power wire or ull get engine noise in your system

hope that helps u
Zach

pm me if u have any more questions
Old 01-21-2006, 01:44 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

thanks for all the help guys... i appreciate it...

what i'm running is an audiobahn amp not sub... it is going to power (2) 12" sony xplod subs...

as or the rca cables: i already ran them to the trunk a while ago on the drivers side which was one of the reasons why i wanted the power to go on the passenger side.. as well as keep everything tight since the battery is on the passenger side...

i have done these setups before.. i wouldnt consider myself a newbie in the field nor an expert... hmm average hobbyist maybe the right word for me lol...

as for the way i am going to connect the setup... will be a parallel circuit having the subs run at 4ohms and a rms of about 350watts each... the amp runs at 800w rms x1 @ 2ohms so i should be fine with that configuration...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:53 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

p.s. building the box was not really the issue... i mean anyone with a basic understanding of sound and vibration and how it travels through vents or a closed box can design one fairly easily with plywood...

but this is honestly my dream car and im so lucky at 23 years old to own one for my very self that I want to take care of it and make it look better even if it means shelling out some extra money to have things done better...

what the guy at the custom car shop wanted to do was basically use materials other than wood, prolly acrylics and the sort to mold a unique custom box for me and then paint it to match my interior.. that is what was going to cost me about $3000.... lol but as much as I love my car I cant throw $3000 for a "box" that is a little insane to me.. for $3000 im on my way to buying a supercharger or a body kit or a complete paint job or new wheels for crying outloud!!

so i will take my butt to homedepot and my soundfx store and build my own!

Quick Reply: Amp through the firewall