Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp through the firewall

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:05 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default Amp through the firewall

This is for the guys that put the amp in their car or anything that needs to get through that firewall...I bought an amp and I'm running the battery cable to the battery obviously... Where is the easiest way to go through the firewall? Before I drill through it is there a plug im not seeing that I can just go through??
Old 01-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Amp through the firewall

You've probably already looked (otherwise you wouldn't have posted this question) but is there not one around the area where the steering column goes through the firewall? On every other car I've had, that's where the "plug" has been.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:15 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

I looked really quickly... And I preferred to go through the passenger side. Only because I dont think I have enough wire to go from the battery, across the engine compartment, through the firewall, down under the moldings to the back of the car into the trunk... lol I know I know I should have gotten a longer wire...but I only have 18' to play with
Old 01-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

yep, it also keeps the engine bay much cleaner if you go through the passenger side...I'm thinking there's prolly only one plug, on the drivers side though

sorry for the "maybe" answer, maybe someone else that knows for sure will post. If not... "happy hunting"

oh yeah, no matter how many feet of wire you had...you'd still need 1' more, that's how it always works right! lol

Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I went through the same gromet that the antenna coax goes through on the passengers side. Came out right under the battery box.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:43 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Thats the hole I was looking for because when I changed out my radio I saw the bright orange antenna wire running towards the firewall but then i couldnt find the hole it was going through... maybe I wasnt looking hard enough.. can a 4 gauge wire fit in the same hole as the antenna and will it interfere in anyway??

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2066695
Old 01-19-2006, 11:43 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

This is a major discussion with people installing the 4Metric Chaser lights.

The access is on the passenger side - rubber grommet. It is a total bitch to feed the wire though however because it exits under and behind the battery box.

I taped the wire to a long thin screw driver - had my son feed it through and push it to the "left" while I crammed my fingers in the exit area fealing for the wire while he did so.

You can however avoide that excersize by attaching to the HOT post in your Fuse panel on the passenger side.

Here are some pictures...

This is the location of the Powered Lug...
[IMG]local://upfiles/14231/98A1AB01964049B8A73E9CA7C7730A43.jpg[/IMG]

Here is an example of a tap in...
[IMG]local://upfiles/14231/9F11F92613D74DB18D781231C5D5134F.jpg[/IMG]

You will have to knotch the cover to allow the wire to exit...
[IMG]local://upfiles/14231/60D63BD9FA4F4D56AB0670F2485D0CB9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-19-2006, 01:06 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

PW - I hope you're just talking about running the lights from the 'HOT post', and not suggesting someone attempt to run an amp off of that fuse panel.

I would not suggest trying to run an amp from your fuse panel, you'll fry the wiring in your car. Stick with the battery, find a way through.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

dayum Todd....

How many Amps is that thing gonna draw? Maybe you will melt the terminals on your battery!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

EASIEST WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Passenger side on the lower firewall there is a plastic flap looking thing. Raise the flap up and there is a little peice of rubber / sheeting that can be punched out with your finger. That comes out under the dash right about the carpeting on the passenger side. Just cut a small hole in the foam on the inside when you see it trying to poke through.
VERY EASY.
Put a little silicone over the outside hole afterwards just to prevent water from getting in, but that is what the flap is for.

Just look I have run all my wires through there with no issue at all

Quick Reply: Amp through the firewall