Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM radio antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

Default XM radio antenna

I recently added an XM Roady2 to my 06 GT. I originally placed the antenna on the rear deck between the 2 speakers...I get major drop outs. I was wondering has anyone ever tried mounting the antenna IN the trunk and how is the reception? I dont really want to mount it ON the trunk, too accessible for people to mess with it and scratch the paint or just plain rip it off. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
06 Black Beauty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: XM radio antenna

that's the same place I put mine and I would be interested in hearing any other suggestions. Those where also the same reasons I placed mine on the interior deck lid.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:45 PM
TungstenGT

Freako,
I just posted a Sirius install and my antenna is located just from touching the rear window using velcro loop. I've read elsewhere on this forum that an antenna was installed under the trunk and it worked OK. My location by the rear window has not been problematic. Sorry I don't have the link but try a search using 'antenna'. XM and Sirius both put out good products don't they?

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:27 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

lol wow this is really interesting as i just bought xm radio for my car and thinking about where to put the antenna i was like well right between the speakers in the back inside the car would be a great idea!! haha well im glad i came across this forum because you guys are saying ur having problems with it there?? hmmm
Old 01-23-2006, 05:55 PM
calvic

I just throw the antenna up on the dash. Work great, but I have the Roady XT, it is the 2nd generation Roady.

JJ
Old 01-23-2006, 06:06 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Unfortunately those antennas are meant be outside, on top of the vehicle. I tried mounting mine in the dash originally (in the Navigator) and believe it or not the glass seemed to impact the reception. Best place is where the windshield meets the roof line. Be sure to place it once, and once only to avoid scratches from moving it. This gives you a perfect path to hide the wire in the glass molding down to the A-pillar and in behind the dash. You don't need to worry about the car washes - it is strong enough to hold. Just keep your fingers crossed that some punk doesn't decide "antenna" scratch your car [:@]

Or perhaps you could get creative and find a way to glue it to the black plastic moldings between the windshield wipers [&:]
Old 01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

the small XM antenna that comes with the original roady needs a metal "ground plane" to work reliably. the older (and larger) xm antennas have built-in ground planes and will work when just sitting on the dash/rear deck/etc. i have an original sony xm radio with a huge antenna that works inside the house when resting on a bookshelf!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:18 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

what about the antenna that comes with the universal tuner box for satellite radio ready car radios?

like i have a kenwood radio so i bought the universal tuner xm box and the kenwood smart digital adapter
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

ok...I tried mounting the antenna between the two back speakers....bad reception but my rear window is tinted so I think that has something to do with it. I tried it in the trunk in several places, even worse reception. I finally moved it to my dash, right next to the VIN number and it works great. I get the same amount of reception "bars" that my supercrew has with it's antenna mounted on the roof.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:46 PM
calvic

Thats right, they work great on the front dash, I run mine on the dashes of my Volvo
my Dodge truck and my Camry and Mustang, they all work fine. Screw that sticking
them on the roof or running them thru the windshield seal. Try it.

JJ

Quick Reply: XM radio antenna