Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra installation on an 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 02:00 AM
joshmckin

Default Clear Bra installation on an 06 GT

This week I finally install a clear bra for my 2006 mustang GT. I am a clear bra kit designer and installer by trade and actually design this kit.

I chose to use the Avery Denison top coated film for the upper (hood, fenders, headlights, a-pillars and the front impact area of the roof) and Avery’s non-coated for the bumper. The coated film is about 7-8 mils including the adhesive and topcoat; the non-coated is about 6 mils. Both films are a type for high strength urethane, (like most quality ppf (paint protection films)), which absorbers miner impacts from small road debris. The top coated film has a hirer gloss than the non-coated and requires less maintenance do to the coating sealing the normally porous surface, but also costs more and requires more attention when installing to ensure the edges lay down.

The hood has about 24 inches of coverage at the edges but swoops down towards the center to follow the lines of the car. This swoops allows for much better coverage on the fenders than might normally be seen with other kits that normally are straight across. The roof piece is about 6 inches wide and matches the height of the a-pillars. Finally the bumper is completely covered for edge to edge.

I chose to up ppf on the headlights rather than the thinker 20 mil pvc material that is available from some other companies because the pvc has a tendency to shrink over time, which can leaving a nasty adhesive / dirt line around the edge of the film. Yes the pvc is stronger than the ppf simply because it is 20 mils rather than 8 and I do recommend to for any who races. But I do not race (currently) and these newer urethane ppf films are more than durable enough to protect the headlights from most common small impacts.

If anyone is interested in clear bra, like any other purchase, do your research. This week we had a fella come in with his new Z06. He went to some other business and they attempted to install a kit from some other company, we will call it brand x (any familiar with pre-cut clear bra kits will know who they are). After several attempts their very experienced installer told them the bumper was impossible. He located us on a Corvett forum and set up an appointment. In about 4 hours we designed and installed the "impossible" bumper. Also, avoid any one who says a flawless install is impossible. Yes on certain colors in certain environments it is almost impossible to get under the film in very small amounts not notice bale to the average person. But, when it comes to weird markings or lines in the film and what appears to be lighter or grey areas known as ghost marks, that is entirely untrue.

Where we are and who we are allows us to charge are pretty sizeable amount for our installations, but in this industry you really do get what you pay for. If needed I have a good list of qualified installers from around the US if someone needs some help

I work for:

Proform Protective Films

Pro-Tect Film Distributing

[IMG]local://upfiles/26136/6F1BE0EA1DF74B4AACBB7EB0ED9C812D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26136/2133803C0B64423381FBC8A1DA6745C4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26136/41C5DAC1AB574855A25C4B531E08C39A.jpg[/IMG]