Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT or wait til the 500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:18 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT or wait til the 500?

That cobra will be so valuable. Save and go with that one. I might trade this one in for that thing. I don't know yet
ORIGINAL: bjgolf

Would you guys wait for the new shelby cobra to come out, or go with the GT sooner? How much of a difference is there?

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
bjgolf

I know a few people who work for ford....but I didn't really relize how crazy the release is. I don't really have the money to order it now, as I am going to pay cash....so I guess I am going to get the GT unless I get some bigger connections.

So I am kind-of confused, please don't make fun of me because I am a real noob here. To tell you the truth, I used to be a dodge guy....still kinda am, but I want a manuel with power...none of this automatic stuff.

I am still debating between the GTO, and the Mustang GT. Possibly even the SRT-4....
However, what is wrong with the Shelby? Is it just you can't really add anything to the engine?
What parts would someone add to their mustang to make their own "Shelby" like someone posted earlier. I am sorry if this sounds stupid, but if someone could help that would be cool.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:37 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

However, what is wrong with the Shelby?

There is nothing wrong with the Shelby just a very limited production and Carol Shelby has his name on it if you don't know about the history of the Mustang Shelby is a icon to the Stang and he is in his 80'S if you can get one it will be worth a lot of money one day. Look up how much a older GT500 can cost you if you can find one.

Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I know a few people who work for ford....but I didn't really relize how crazy the release is. I don't really have the money to order it now, as I am going to pay cash....so I guess I am going to get the GT unless I get some bigger connections.

So I am kind-of confused, please don't make fun of me because I am a real noob here. To tell you the truth, I used to be a dodge guy....still kinda am, but I want a manuel with power...none of this automatic stuff.

I am still debating between the GTO, and the Mustang GT. Possibly even the SRT-4....
However, what is wrong with the Shelby? Is it just you can't really add anything to the engine?
What parts would someone add to their mustang to make their own "Shelby" like someone posted earlier. I am sorry if this sounds stupid, but if someone could help that would be cool.
Well, I can tell you one thing for sure........DON'T waste your money on a GTO. I test drove one before I ordered my GT and while it did have good power, it ain't worth the money. You're better off getting a mustang GT and modding it. Is there anything wrong with the Shelby? Hell no. I don't think there's anyone round these parts that would turn down the opportunity to own one if it were within their price range. The GT500 will come stock with 475 HP. If that ain't enough for you (and you're crazy), you can still mod it to up the horsepower. If these guys are modding stock GT 4.6 engines (with stock bottom ends) to over 500 HP then just think what is possible with a 5.4
In the end, its all in what you're willing to spend. Don't be surprised if dealerships are asking upwards of 65 grand for them.......if you can secure an order for one at all. The 07's are gonna be hard to get, no doubt. But if you feel you can hang with the asking price (or have some connections) I wouldn't think twice about putting my name down for one. Just be prepared to wait.
If you can't wait for, or afford, the GT500 then you should know that there's a HUGE selection of aftermarket mods available for the new GTs. With the right investment, you can easily put together a mustang making upwards of 450 to 500 HP. Then you can choose from the wealth of exterior accessories that are out there to customize it and make it your own. The skies the limit with these new mustangs....and it is good.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I agree with most all of the folks here who have it nailed. Unless you have MAJOR FORD connections, the wait will be HUGE, the price will be HUGE. You could get 2 new GTs or a new C6 conv 6speed and a new Harley softail. ...or get 450hp in your GT and keep 30grand in your wallet. You do mods on the Shelby (not sure what you could do) and you will likely reduce it's value. I had a 65 Corvette coupe; can't do a thing with it; MUST BE ORIGINAL. That ain't no fun. I'm having a great time doing mods to my 06 GT; put the welder to it the first week. Just as an aside there are some styling queues on the Shelby such that the guys that say build your own may have a good point. For what may be 60-70 grand, could I have color keyed mirrors please. I'm picky but the snake on the grill and fenders is a bit too big. ...as are the letters SHELBY on the decklid. How about a real gas cap on the decklid? The black rockers... OMG... all the few hundred mods I've seen out here not one person did this; why? IT LOOKS HORRIBLE; hey along with paintingthe mirrors, theres a mod for ya; paint the rockers the body color like the GT. If the stripes are vinyl then I just give up. JMO, but I'm not big on the red/black interior. How about all one color, even all red, like we had "back in the day". Did you say you were a MOPAR guy. then no brainer for you especially where you are willing to wait. HEMI Challenger with 6 speed. I may even add that one, to put in the bay next to my GT.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:57 AM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

The question is though, can these 4.6's handle 500 horsepower for 100,000 miles? Will it tear it up quickly?

If you can't wait for, or afford, the GT500 then you should know that there's a HUGE selection of aftermarket mods available for the new GTs. With the right investment, you can easily put together a mustang making upwards of 450 to 500 HP. Then you can choose from the wealth of exterior accessories that are out there to customize it and make it your own. The skies the limit with these new mustangs....and it is good.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Yes what he said.
ORIGINAL: RICVA05

You will be real lucky if you will even be able to get your hands on a Shelby. If you are able to find one be ready to pay way over sticker.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:11 PM
screaminyellin6
2nd Gear Member

I heard all the local dealer owners out here are putting any they get up straight to auction. GOOD LUCK even getting one at 60k over in NY.... Get yourself a GT - smack a S/C and about another $5k worth of performance mods, and a professional tuner and you'll have a killer car for alot less $$$. Cobra has the name - but that's just way to much money... It does look sweet though [:@]
Old 01-26-2006, 03:33 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

And if the Shelby GT500 goes up for auction, you can bet "your mother" that some doctor, lawyer, business owner, or rich kid will come into a dealership and bid $100,000 for this car without breaking a sweat...

I work for a doctor who can easily bid $100,000 for this car and have plenty of $$$ left over...

Good Luck Everyone!!!

Dave
Old 01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

I asked myself this exact same question and just the sticker price (which I knew I wouldn't be lucky enough to pay) was enough to deter me. I ended up with a loaded GT Conv. for 31k (xplan) and have 15k to put into mods before I even get to the sticker price of the GT500 Conv. The 2 large dealers in my area were going to get 2 each - 1 coupe and 1 conv. and 1 dealer wasn't going to get any - so good luck finding one at all let alone without a significant markup. Now I get to enjoy my GT and can spend my 'mod money' however I want. These are always 'tough' decisions to have to make....

Quick Reply: GT or wait til the 500?