Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRUNCHED doors and floppy hood.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 01:41 PM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

Default CRUNCHED doors and floppy hood.

What do you think of this? Last summer I was on the fence about my first new car purchase. I'm not 16, I just never treated my self to a new one. I WANTED muscle. GT Mustang - GTO - Magnum/Charger. Had the money and went test driving. Car sales people hate my type. Getting me to agree to payment plan is like pulling a tree out of the ground with a bicycle.

The GTO never happened. The Pontiac dealer would not let me test drive with out knowing what my payments would be. It's funny that cash in hand means so little. If I still had the salesmans card I would write GM to b!tch.

So I backed away from the Charger after driving. The standard V8 just didn't have enough punch with the automatic. Stick shifts should always be an option.

Went to the Ford dealer looking for GT sticks. Always rare here. Found only one[sm=lame.gif]. Price was right! Grabbed a salesmen who drove it up front. I get in the drivers seat and start playing with all the toys. The umpteen position seat was a plus. Girl friend and salesguy talk and I adjust the mirrors about to pull away. WHAM!![sm=jawdrop.gif] The Manager of the dealer backed into my drivers door with a trade in beater. Test drive is off to a great start. Fast forward>> I still want the car. Damage is only skin deep. We talk the deal to replace the whole door, take $2000.oo off the sticker and a crappy collectible knife. (The knife never came.) Before I left I told the Manager to give me the old door shell. You could here the service dept. LOL. First I wanted proof that not just the skin was changed and second I can hang it on the wall for this story.

Now that I have been running down the Interstate I notice that the hood seems to be a little flexible. At high speeds, say triple digits, the hood bows up or bounces. I tried adjusting the rubber hood stops with no effect, but is this just LIFE with a glass/composit hood?

Give a shout back.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:30 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CRUNCHED doors and floppy hood.

The hood on the new mustangs is aluminum. It only weighs like 25 lbs. I can assure you that it does wobble at speeds over 100. Ask anyone here. It shouldn't go anywhere, i got up to 134 and though it shook....it stayed on the car. But if it bothers you really bad you'll have to look into hood pins. Its just what you have to live with with such a lightweight hood. I guess the alternative for Ford would have been to make it steel and then it would have weighed a ton. Or maybe some more snug hood latches could have been a better fix.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

if your 16 and have a new gt stang and i do believe you as i had brand new cars at a young age dont worry about the body flex in 3digit street speeds you wont be around long enough to see your next new car any way PLEASE enjoy your stang but take your racing to the strip there is just no way a newer driver can run that fast on the street and not kill himself or worse,ME or someone i care about

brianj (tncruiser)
Old 01-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Part of the "cheap horsepower" you just bought. I never notice mine shaking till I hit 135+ myself (only done that twice though, on roads flatter than a pancake, and where you could see the edge of the earth (to make sure theres no traffic)
Old 01-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I had my car in Germany for 8 months. Yes I did have the hood shake/flex quite a bit, but it's still on there. I did lose a piece from the front bumper but so far it hasn't done anything to the car...
Old 01-29-2006, 03:33 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Nice, I would still take it, as long as it was a new skin, and thats all that was damaged.

Off topic, I havent noticed any hood flex on my 06 at 100+ speeds
Old 01-29-2006, 03:50 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i have had that problem too, i hear hood pins do the trick, i have not tried them myself because i dont really go that those kind of speeds very much

as for the dealers, i am surprised how hard some of them are with the test drives, the nissan dealer wouldnt let me test drive thir cars without a crap-load of paperwork while the ford dealer's conversation with me went like this:

"hi, are you looking to purchase a car?"
"yes"
"what kind of car are you looking at?"
"2006 mustang"
"ok i will get the keys"

i am serious...so simple
Old 01-29-2006, 03:55 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I never test drove one, never asked to. Just went in and placed my order on X-plan.

rented a v6 vert for a week, that was enough.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:58 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

i originally went to test drive because i was looking at multiple cars (g35, 350z, mustang gt) but because i was not buying my car for myself (i am 17...lol) my dad went with the v6 because he was affraid that i was going to hurt myself with 300hp...i was upset then, but i understand what he means...and am happy that i have a mustang!

haha but what is funny is that he did not want the g35 or 350z purely because the sales people did not let us test dive the car. later that day he went back to the infinity/nissan dealer just to show them that he bought the mustang to **** them off
Old 01-29-2006, 08:48 AM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

TNCRUISER...double check my post. This is my first new car but not my first car. I'm way past 16. My first car had almost as much power when I was 16. It was also 25 years old "all tire smoke and tail spins". I did survive with a lot more respect for cars and other drivers. Doing triple digits is not common. If anyone has been to Sebring raceway. That's the kind of racing I prefer.

[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: CRUNCHED doors and floppy hood.