Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Default Big Problem!

I have a convertible GT and because of the bad weather around here in the winter, I have the car in storage. I usually go 2-3 times a week and start the car and just let it run for a while. I went there to day to run it and found that the battery was completely dead. There wasn't even enough power to unlock the doors with the remote unlock. I didn't think it was that big of a deal and thought that I would just use the key. But then I remembered that on the convertibles, the glass goes down 1/2-3/4 in. when you open the door and goes up when you close the door. I can unlock the door, but the glass is still stuck up in the top and the door won't open more than a half an inch. It's pulling on the glass and I'm afraid that the glass will break. There is no way to get the hood open to charge the battery. Unfortunately it is a convertible so there is not way to climb in from the trunk though the back seats. I'm out of ideas. I'm going to try and call the Ford dealership later and see what they have to say. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-02-2006, 04:58 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Big Problem!

Once you get into the car and remedy your issue. Get a "Battery Tender" which will keep your battery up to snuff. It is a very popular Motorcycle thing. Check a cycle shop in your area.

It takes oil twenty some minutes to get to ops temp. It takes another twenty some minutes to cook out the naughty cold running stuff in oil. I think numbers may be better in new cars, but, then you have condensation in exhuast systems also. With "Battery Tender" no reason to run motor till a good "take a quick spin" day.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:00 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

Hmm! Thats sucks about the windows! Hopefully, someone will be able to help you.
Once you are able to get in, what you should do is pop the hood and leave it partially latched, just in case the battery dies again, so that you can open up the hood.
Also, leave a battery charger connected to the battery so that you can charge it every so often.
I believe that cold weather can affect the life of a battery so that may be a contributing cause to your weak battery.
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

First off, what kinda emtertainment system do you have? Shaker 500, or 1000? You shouldnt have to tend to youre battery that much to keep it going. I let my 98 gt sit all winter long and then fire it right up and its got 40k miles on the battery. The Shaker system has a problem with the Amps in the system and they are draining batterys. Have youre dealership check it out, put that warranty to good use. Also if you peel back the vert top a bit can you open the door? I dont think the window will break.
Casper
Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice! I only have the Shaker 500 system in it and it only has 6000 miles on it. I know that nothing was left on since I check it like ten time before I leave. I'm definitely going to have to look into it. I'll make sure to leave the hood unlatched from now on and buy one of those "battery tenders" to make sure the battery doesn't completely drain next time. Thanks again!
Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Steve1001

Go ahead and open the door, it wont hurt anything. I opened and closed my door 10-15 times with the battery disconected while installing things and never had a problem. Be sure when closing that you use your second hand to press on the upper-rear corner of the glass so it goes where it's supposed to with out getting hurt.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:52 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

if you're careful, and know a little something about electronics, you could 'back-jack' power from inside your trunk with a 12V power source like a DC converter (nothing more than 1-1.5 amps), might give your system enough juice to lower the window when the door opens.

What I mean by 'back-jack' is to open your trunk, and find the power lines going to the light. Makes sure you can tell which leads are positive (+) and which are negative (-). Splice into those lines and hook them up to your 12volt power low amp power source. (this is where the electronics knowledge comes into play)

Then with power applied, open the door.

The 12volt input should be enough to power the window down and let you open the hood.

I'm not really suggesting this, but if all other hope is lost, it's a possibility.

A low amp 12 volt source shouldn't be enough to fry anything, and everything goes to the same fuse panel, which connects to the same battery. Power is always available to the windows and the trunk, so everything should be connected enough to allow this to work. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
crewwolfy
2nd Gear Member

Might be able to reach around in the front grill and unlatch the hood. If you can, jump the stang with your other car.