Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:29 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen Short Shifter

ORIGINAL: 05HOTROD

ORIGINAL: SpikeGT

ORIGINAL: 05HOTROD

I know that saleen had issues with their instructions being confusing on which way the adapter should be installed , so I took a picture just in case anyone is wondering which way it goes. I love this cheap mod that saved me from spending 250.00.
I just ordered this on Sat. That pic should help with the install. Anything I else I should know about installing it? TIA
here is a picture that is labeled. as far as the install

1. you will see that when you get under your car the linkage bolt goes right through the cylinder portion of the bottom part of the stock shifter with a nut the other side. remove the bolt from the linkage which is on the passengers side.
2. slide the linkage bolt out of the stock shifter cylinder sleeve.
(keep in mind that the bolt is attached to the linkage)
3. remove the yellow grommets that are attached to the stock shifter's cylinder and insert them onto each side of the narrower part of the saleen adapter. (see photo)
4.slide the linkage bolt through the narrow part of the adaper and hand screw the bolt.
5.now slide the saleen cylinder piece into the stock cylinder piece.
6. now place the cylinder piece into the wider side of the saleen adapter and insert the bolt from the drivers side towards the passenger side.
7. before you tighten up, make sure you use lock tight.
hope this helps you
Thanks, I'm sure it will make it easier.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:22 PM
jrbtfarr

When we installed the Saleen short throw block, I was very impressed how much it shortened the throw, however, as F00Mustang noted, the adapter lowered the pivot point at the base of the shifter. As a result, the changed angle signficantly stiffened up the shifter. IMO, the short throws were nice, but not at the expense of that amount of stiffness. Mine came out immediately.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:05 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

As a result, the changed angle signficantly stiffened up the shifter. IMO, the short throws were nice, but not at the expense of that amount of stiffness
You're correct, the saleen shifter did make shifting a little bit harder, especially first gear, but only for a little while. I honestly think that the new pivot point had to "break in" or find it's own groove. Now, shifting is very easy and I've had it in for about a week. As a matter of fact, the smoothness was back to normal within 3 days. The directions don't say it, but I think that a little bit of grease on the bolt would correct this problm from the get-go. I think that overtightening may be a factor here also.

jrbtfarr - If you havn't allready sent it back, try it out again. Just give it a couple of days. Apparently other brands of shifter need to break in too, from what I've read. It only takes a few minutes to install, and try to put a little greast on the bolt that comes with the block. Don't put it into the insert or the threads, just at the part where the shaft is pivoted by the shifter. (almost sounds dirty!)
Old 02-09-2006, 03:30 PM
blk05stang
2nd Gear Member

I installed this last night and I must say I'm very impressed with the results. I put about 10 miles on the car today and the difference from stock is amazing. It's slightly more difficult to change gears but still easier then the tri ax shifter I had in my 99 cobra. I would say it's about 80% as good at a tri ax at 1/6 the cost. Install was a piece of cake as well. This is the best bang for the buck mod availiable and if you don't have it you should get it.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:07 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Love mine and what a great price!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

hhuummm....call me crazy, but has anyone checked to see if two would fit under there.....
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM
BradInFl
2nd Gear Member

yeah, call you crazy. I dont see how they would possible connnect to one another, but could be cool. UPDATE on mine: I have had it istalled for a week or so and the shift has definently loosened up. I was not to pleased with the first gear shift when I first installed it, but know it is smooth. It definently feels like it has broken in. I am assuming that the bushings have adjusted to their new place. By the way, does anyone feel like some stop bolts could be used. I havn't researched it at all, but it seems since the shifts are now stiffer it might not be a bad thing. Does anyone know if there is a stop bolt assembly for the shifter withough replacing the entire with a tri ax hurst etc ??
Old 02-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Cruehead
1st Gear Member

The shifts are definitely smoother after only a few days of having it installed. I went to the track last night and ran 6 runs hitting it hard...no missed shifts or anything. Ran a best of 13.5 @103. I'm definitely loving this shifter now....I had my doubts the first few days of stiff shifts.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Finally installed mine tonight....can't wait to drive it, nice SHORT throw...I didn't overtighten and used blue locktite....thats all I had...
Old 02-25-2006, 01:26 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

Just got mine installed tonight. Thanks for the informative picture, thats all I used to install, very easy. The throw is nice and short, cant believe the difference from stock.

Quick Reply: Saleen Short Shifter