Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adhesion Promoter

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:06 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

Default Adhesion Promoter

I gotta say I'm freakin out on the descriptions I've read on the use of the Adhesion promoter. Corrosive to paint??? I just received my louvered 1/4 windows and classic chin spoiler. I will also be adding a duck bill spoiler when that shows up from UPS. I don't want my paint under the mods to be ruined.[:@]

Is there any thing I can tell the body shop that they don't already know? Or am I just getting my undies in a bundle for nothing. Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:39 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Adhesion Promoter

Not to steal you post man, but I have a question kinda related to this:

Has anyone had problems getting their louvers or scoops to stick to the side of the car??? My window scoops will just not seem to stay on properly on the back side. The front and top, and for the most part bottom, are fine, but its that last part of the scoop (closest to the trunk) that just will not seem to stay on. [:@]
I've followed the instructions correctly, i believe, but grrr.... to no avail!
The tape just doesnt seem to be holding on to the car as it should.

will
Old 02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

CarsandCigars: The adhesion promoter in on the plastic, then epoxy primer then base color then clear; The AP is not in contact with any of your OEM paint surfaces. ...not quite sure what you have read but this is std procedure to get primers to grab onto something cause they don't on plastic very well. The AP is a "bridge" between the plastic and the primer. Feel free to ask around at the shops but there should be no issue; it's made for this specific purpose.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:24 AM
BlackGTCoupe
1st Gear Member

i just purchased hood scoop, window louvers and quarter scoops for my car, and they all came with the 3M tape already applied to it and painted and primed. basically with only the application of the tape on the part to the body of the car yet to be done. HOWEVER included with each item i got, from various companies, is adhesive promoter....and it says to apply it to the areas you are attaching the tape. So i much like others who have posted similar querys, am wondering if it is redundant to include it with items that are already primed and tape applied, or am i supposed to put it on the car paint itself? I think we need some clarity on this one. Long story short, i did NOT use the promoter and just taped the items to my car, and they all seem to be holding well, so hopefully that will continue. I am just curious if it is necessary or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Christian
Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Oh ok; yeah I would get the mfg name and double check with their tech people to see if there is the possibility of it affecting the underlying finish. I would be leary that over time it would dull the clear at a minimum and possiblt stain that area (I assume it's clear but it could still stain over time from chemical reaction; which we know there must be some, or what would its value be. Do all providers of these advesive on products recommend this? If they all pretty much do and tech support says it will have no affect on your paint (nice to get that in a written EMail, ya know?) then I would use it where the part is affected by wind etc. i.e. hood scoop needs all the adhesion it can get!!! Don't be so sure that over time 3M tape will not dull or even stain that area. Main reason I'm not into adhesived on mods.