Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood black out

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:40 AM
slak05gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Hood black out

I am looking a hood black out decal like on a 1969 Boss Mustang, but the closest one I've found is this (see picture) Does any one know where I can find one that will black out the whole or most of the hood. I have found the Boss C stripes and Boss side stripes of different sorts. But I haven't found the hood black out I want. There should be a picture of that. too. If anyone knows where I can get one I'd love to know. Thanks
Old 02-10-2006, 12:49 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood black out

Slak, I haven't seen any blackout hood decals like the one you're looking for. I don't think the 69 Boss' had a blackout "decal", but rather a nonreflective flat black paint job. I think if you're looking to create a 69 Boss look, you should look at doing a custom paint job to the hood. Your best bet IMO.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:12 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Having restored a 69 Mach 1, I had to dig for info on the original paint that was on the hood. It was not a flat black, or satin for that matter. It was a Ford low gloss. I had to have it custom mixed by House of Color. They used a gloss reduction aditive to match the original.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:36 AM
slak05gt
2nd Gear Member

Looks like I may have to get a split decal rather than pay for a paint job. Its a conundrum. $179 for a decal I halfway like or about $7-800 for a decent paint job. I think the car would look bad a$$ with a blacked out hood, side "C" stripes black rear window and side window louvers and a black spoiler. Eitherway it'll be cheaper than buying a Shindoa (sp) Boss like the yellow one in the attachment. It looks like I need to find a good paint/body man to get the exact look I want, Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

Why not just go for a carbon fiber and paint the outer edges.....thats what I plan on doing if I don't have to sell my car

Old 02-10-2006, 08:42 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

if you wanted a flat black hood, you can easily do that at home- thats a 3 step process:
1. sand it
2. spray paint it(flat black)
3. clear coat it
Old 02-10-2006, 09:55 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

LesteR723: No disrespect but from a lot of paint experience I can tell you that your 3 step process will deliver a glossy black finish. Base coat black is very close to flat black (it's not shiny) but the clear is where "all" the shine comes from. You can put a flattening agent in the clear but not enough to achieve the flat (yet protected) look of the Boss. I would bet that the custom House of Color solution is a single stage paint, possibly urethane but unless they have a special clear I doubt it's a base, clearcoat method. (Most flat, semi gloss finishes are way to soft and will mark and marr like crazy) I would find a solution that has already been proven for this application and go with it.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:00 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

You are correct Failane. The House of Color paint that I used for the Mach1 was a single stage with a flattening agent. I understand that they now have a "standard" for it and it is not hard to come by. To reitterate what you said, putting clear over the flat would accomplish nothing more than a gloss finish.

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

LesteR723: No disrespect but from a lot of paint experience I can tell you that your 3 step process will deliver a glossy black finish. Base coat black is very close to flat black (it's not shiny) but the clear is where "all" the shine comes from. You can put a flattening agent in the clear but not enough to achieve the flat (yet protected) look of the Boss. I would bet that the custom House of Color solution is a single stage paint, possibly urethane but unless they have a special clear I doubt it's a base, clearcoat method. (Most flat, semi gloss finishes are way to soft and will mark and marr like crazy) I would find a solution that has already been proven for this application and go with it.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:13 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

MusiccityGT: You got it; you know it!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:32 AM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

That is awesome Fairlane. Now get a shot of a firetruck chasing ya down!! LOL....

Quick Reply: Hood black out