Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you pay for painted stripes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 03:55 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What did you pay for painted stripes?

I definitely am going to shop around and I am definitely going to have a professional remove the roush stripes. We have a lot of cutom paint shops here in Cali so it should be pretty easy to get some competitive quotes. Thanks again guys for all the feedback. Either way, I think the dealer is too expensive.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Cool, yeah out here in the NorthEast, American car dealerships typically aren't the best places to go for a top quality paint finish. Many don't do their own work and you have no idea where it's getting done. Custom shops are known for greater skill levels and taking more care and pride in their work (and you can more readily see samples of their work) ...you know what I mean. good luck!!
Old 02-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

I paid $1500.00 for 11 inch painted stripes bumper to bumper. 24 Karat bodyshop in Lake Villa Illinois.There work was awesum.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I see these very inexpensive paint jobs, and while to most anyone I am sure they are very nice looking. But I believe most of these are just stripes laid on top of the factory paint. I am getting a "seamless" paint job where the surface is sanded down-the stipes laid down-and clearcoat applied over the entire area . You will not be able to feel the stripes at all. I will ask about what Fairlane mentioned with the "light plane" that makes sense. But the shop that I'm having do this work is a German/British/Itallian car specialty shop. He will be useing Glassuirit paint and clear coat. I asked them to go heavy on the clear on all leading surfaces to help with stone chips. I am very familliar with thier work and will go with what they suggest.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:18 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Sounds good: They seem like a very high quality shop and they will likely buff the factory clear adjacent surface to match... ...cause they probably know exactly what they need to do with it and have been there many times. ..although we are talking Ford clear. Let us know how you make out; I'm sure you'll be very happy with their workmanship.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:09 PM
tsaints1115
1st Gear Member

Be carefull on how thick you go with your clear as too thick will chip because it is brittle. I`ve shot on average of 5 coats on my cars as youl wetsand 2 1/2 off before polishing.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:32 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

tsaints1115: you are exactly right. I am going to do a front bumper cover with CDC agressive (keeping my original black cover to the side) and color blending down the yellow into orange and may make it close to red at the lowest edge. Anyway the guy that did my flames and clear is relocating to SC so I'm gonna do the bumper cover (not anything new for me), but I asked him the other day about using more clear because this area is lower to the road and apt to chip more anyway; He said just use 3-4 wet coats, no more or just the opposite of what I am are trying to do (prevent chipping) will occur even more. ...glad I asked. ...Jim
Old 03-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

My bike has 12 coats of clear and no problems with chiping. I don't know the exact process but there was sanding inbwteen the clear coating.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:18 AM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

My guy down here in Brooklyn quotted me for a PAINTED white stripes replicating the 2007 GT500 for only $720 with a clear coat on top so that its all smooth like a baby's bottom.

If you pay any more than what I'm paying, then consider the place where you are getting it done is not experienced and they are only charging you more because they feel there work may be more than expected in the end because of inexperience.

Take your time and find someone who does special paint jobs on cars. Believe me when I tell you this but to a paint shop, stripes are simple as hell.... it should not take long or be difficult.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:22 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Be sure to ask what Gloves paid. His stripes are pretty ****ing nice

Quick Reply: What did you pay for painted stripes?