Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 12:57 PM
jdGT05

Default parking brake problem

I'm looking for a way to release my p-brake. The handle inside the car is loose and the brake is locked on and the car can't be moved. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows if there is a way to release it? Thanks
Old 02-19-2006, 01:50 PM
bkranz34
1st Gear Member

Default RE: parking brake problem

I had the same problem, My right rear locked up just as I was about to leave from NY to NC, pain in the @$$. U said "P-brake" so I assume that means u have an auto, mine is a manual so I have an "e-brake" lever, I don't know if it works the same way or not, but, I had someone play with the lever while I watched the brake mechanism so I could see where it was binding up. I ended up having to take off the wheel, spray the line with wd-40 and manually move it back and forth untill it would free up. I thought it was probably just rust in the line, but the whole mechanism on the rear brake was locked up, must be a common problem with that part. Shame since the car is so awesome.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:42 PM
jdGT05

Thanks for the info. Mine is a manual also. I finally got ahold of my uncle who retired from Ford as a mechanic and he said they have been having some problems with that system locking up. He suggested hitting the caliper with a rubber mallet while someone worked the handle, but it was froze solid. I have roadside so I'm going with the tow. Thanks again
Old 02-19-2006, 10:46 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Is this a 05 or 06 problem????
Old 02-19-2006, 11:36 PM
jdGT05

05 .
Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Ive read the problem is 05+06 mustang(and other makes also). both my 81 dosge and 93 ford pickups had the problem on occasion, with them it was always the cables only- not the calipers. I had to release brake, block wheels, get under and wiggle the cables to break them loose a couple times. I think the mustang is a cable issue also, as a guy on another forum totally fried his rear brakes due to icing up...calipers warm up quick, cables dont till spring Buddy at work told me NOT to ever use parking brake in winter as he used to work at a garage, one of more common repairs was replacing brakes on various models due to cables icing/people driving with brakes dragging. I got a stick too, so just leave in gear...

bigger problem to me is the short drop window feature- mine iced up once already, heard it 'pop' as I opened the door, luckily I didnt try to slam it...woulda busted the trim or maybe the glass, as popping open it has the angle advantage, closing it would try to pull trim inwards from looks of it...spent a few minutes scraping base of glass and fiddling with switch till it finally popped down a little...that was NOT one of fords brighter ideas...
Old 02-20-2006, 11:52 AM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

My parking brake froze up one time also. I had the let the car set with the engine running and worked the parking brake until it freed up. I am not using the parking brake very much now in the winter. It was also on the right side of the car.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
cathane

Hey there,

I'll just repost what I said on an earlier message about this problem:

If you continue to have frozen e-brake problems, check out the following thread
https://mustangforums.com/m_837275/m.../tm.htm#853669
I had this problem myself, ends up that some (maybe all, not sure) 05's have a bad handbrake system compared to the 06's. The 05's had regular steel handbrake cables, the 06's have stainless steel cables, and the protective boot around the cable at the brake is prone to cracking and letting moisture in, resulting in the handbrake freezing solid without being frozen to the brake itself. The new handbrake system fixes this issue. If you give your dealership the information posted by angelica39 in this tread, they'll contact the Ford hotline and replace your handbrake system under warrenty. Haven't had a problem since they replaced it. Later

Cathane
Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

My dealer called me yesterday and said that Ford has either a recall or TSB on the problem. He wants me to bring mine in to have it checked since it happened to me once.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

There is a TSB for this problem. It was posted on another forum. Just bring it to the dealer and they will fix it.

-TRB