Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:22 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default wheel questions

So I have decided between the 2 rims shown below. But picking between the 2 is the least of my worries... My main concern is picking a nice tire and fit..
[IMG][/IMG]

I seen posts that say even though we have RWD cars that I should go for a FWD rim. That is confusing to be but ok.
Also I wanted a more "deep dish" type look rim which I know I can achieve with a negative offset. But how negative can I get?
Now to get to the tire issue... I'm not sure what height I would like to run them. The rims are going to be 20" and I will be getting the Eibach springs to lower the car 1.5" too. So I am worried about how it will fit in the wheel well. I don't race the car except to put those punk kids with really loud civics in their place on the highway. It is my basic everyday commuter to work, and I wanted some low profile tires... Oh and one last thing I was going to have a staggered pattern. Maybe 20x8.5 in the front and 20x9.5 in the back...

Any help would be so helpful, especially pics of your rides that have 20" rims and the different size tires that you put on so I can have a visual.. thanks guys

[IMG]local://upfiles/25429/FFD57210DC224961A1144FCC7F213608.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25429/EAF9704169D84F488C96451D230673D4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-19-2006, 09:26 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: wheel questions

Have you considered 20" black inside bullits? I'm just asking because IMO neither of those rims will look good.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:58 PM
StreetRod Steve
1st Gear Member

First, make sure you research all posible tire options on this #1 tire website:

www.tirerack.com

Old 02-20-2006, 10:49 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Do a broader search on line and use a size converter so you know what the increase will be in the new tire compared to the OEM size. I found that Tirerack does not carry all makes and size tires. After an exhausted search, I found that the Falken tire is the least expensive and has a quiet ride and claims to be rated at 360AA. Also be sure to allow for the increased size when turning the front wheels as you might have some rubbing on a taller and wider tire. I belive that the Saleen setup is pretty close to what you can get away with on the front and maybe a little larger on the back. Also, be sure not to deviate much from the center offset. I'm guessing here, but I think you can get away with 25-45 mm offset. The larger the number the more it will stick out from your wheel well. I think the OEM offset is 25 or 28mm.

Here is one of many 'tire size conversion/comparison' sites;

http://www.net-comber.com/tirecalc.html

Good luck!

PS: I'm running 20" Black Rhino Burst rims, 9 inch wide with a 30mm offset (fits perfectly in the wheel well) and 255/45R-20 Toyo Proxy ST rubber on all 4 corners.

http://www.bigwheels.net/?location=w...0Rhino%20Burst
Old 02-20-2006, 03:02 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

thanks so much BeeStang,

Those rims on your car look really good actually and from what I can see in the pictures the middle of the rim does appear to be deeper in the dish which is the look I wanted. The "spokes" on the stock bullits seem to stick out too much to the front for me.

I was planning to get 255/35/20 tires... Will those numbers change depending on the size width I get on the rims?

Also BeeStang did you order your rims from bigwheels.net? I found them to be a little pricey for the rims I wanted compared to like tirerack.com.

Are there any other reputable sites for rims? The sites I found seem to be like thrown together and a bit sketchy.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Be careful about changeing offset/wheel width. The factory offset is set-up to work with the suspension and create a specific footprint that is good for both handleing, and keeps wheels from wearing to fast. If you have questions about it start researching this, because the last thing you want is to buy some tires for 20" wheels and have them eaten up in under a year.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:03 PM
BlowByRacing

We put the Raceline GT wheels on our LNR cars all the time with 20 x 8.5 w/ 38mm offset & 20 x 10 w/ a 44mm offset - We usually use a 255/35/20 & 275/35/20
Old 02-21-2006, 12:20 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

If you use a tire size calculator/comparison site found on the web, it will tell you the difference between two sizes height, width, and some sites will even calculate the offset, + or -.

I searched, and searched, and Bigwheels had one of the best overal brand selections, not to mention numerous styles I liked. Once I found a style I liked, I then went shopping using Google. Bigwheel was the best price on the Black Rhino. Very good dealer and easy to work with.

Note, the offset for the newer wider tire I purchased, brought the stance outward. You really want to try and stay as close to the OEM offset as possible in order to keep everything in line. This is why they have a deep dish look. I even think there is a deep dish bullit with a different offset than the stock OEM. I haven't noticed any wear out of normal, given the change in size.

I am planning to instal the Saleen 7 spoke chrome with a staggered setup.

The rims are 20 x 9 front, and 20 x 10 rear

Falken tires, 245/35 front and 275/35 rear. This will allow me some room later for a suspension drop if I choose to do so.

Spend some time and just Google the wheels and you'll find what you can afford and like.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:31 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skilz4u2nv

I was planning to get 255/35/20 tires... Will those numbers change depending on the size width I get on the rims?
The tires quoted above should be fine on rims 8.5" to 9.5" and maybe 10" Might be a tight fiton 10". That's why I went to a 275/35 on the rear with the Saleen setup I'm planning.

The current Black Rhino rims are 9" wide with a 255/45-20" tire mounted (Toyo Proxy ST to be exact).
Old 02-21-2006, 12:51 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Here's another good site with hundreds of wheels and tires... It blows Tirerack away!

http://www.customwheelsdirect.com/index.php

Quick Reply: wheel questions