Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticker Price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Exotic_HP

Default RE: Sticker Price?

sticker was $29,295.00 I paid $27,995.00 big discount $300.00 at the time other dealer would charged $1,000.00 to $3,000.00 over sticker.
Brought in July 06, 2005
Old 03-11-2006, 07:43 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

DAYUM! And I thought that I came out of it OK. That is what I call a kill George. One thing I didn't mention is that since I am active duty Army I titled and registered the car in Alaska where I didn't have to pay taxes. That saved me 2k as well.

ORIGINAL: AirForceGeorge

Turtle, I wouldn't pay more than 500 over invoice. Invoice is what the dealer pays the manufacturer. The delivery charge is legit and a flat rate charged by the manufacturer so that won't go anywhere. I got mine for 100 under invoice. I think if all the stars align right you should be able to get a GT vert for appx 500-1k under invoice. Remember, get the MSRP off the ford direct site, not from what the dealer puts in a window.

You can get a car under invoice for a few reasons. Usually there are rebates and incentives the manufacturer gives directly to you the buyer. Also there is about a 3-5% holdback the manufacturer usually gives to the dealer so they make that much even selling at invoice. There are also other backroom deals between the dealer and the manufacturer, incentives the dealers get for making x amount of sales in a given time periot etc. Since the Mustang is in such high demand Ford is offering pretty much nothing in the way of incentives and rebates. But you an still get a decent deal. Like I've said elsewhere make sure you get multiple dealers in a downward bidding war. Keep giving another dealership the chance to match anothers offer and if you want exaggerate the offer a little. I didn't have to create a fuss at the dealership or anything. I just called a bunch of dealers and made them beat each others offers then went in and put down a deposit. This won't always mean the best deal in the world but it well at least et you a decent one and not a ripoff. Good luck. I'm just waiting for mine to come in. ARGHHH!
Old 03-11-2006, 08:33 PM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

Ya as active duty I will manage to tag it in MT and avoid sales tax.

As far as the dealers making a living...

Please! These guys are raking it in. They can make a nice profit at invoice. Don't kid yourself, most of these guys are out to screw you out of extra money. They wouldn't sell you the car if they weren't making a nice profit. The way the system is set up against the uninformed buyer is a load of BS. My dealer left the office and had his sales sheet for the month. He had sold like 24 cars in Feb. Surely, if he's making just a few hundred bucks off each he's banking even after spliting it with the dealership. And believe me this guy was doing very, very, well. How is it that one dealer told me sticker, one said 1k off, and the other quoted me 2500 off sticker? Are you telling me the first two are "just trying to make a living."

The guy I got the car from then says since I'm getting a good deal I have to trade wholesale. He offered me 4500 for my 2000 lx vert. I told him I'd try to sell it myself but otherwise trade it when the new one is delivered. Now, if you go on cars.com or whatever you wont find the car listed for less than 7500 at a dealership. I listed it for 6400, sold it at asking price within 3 days and had about a dozen people contact me. I took the ads down but people are still beating down the door trying to buy the car. The dealer wouldn't take less than 7 for it, most likely closer to 8. So he wants to make 2500 on my trade and that's fair? I can see 500 for advertising and cleaning it up. 500 to the dealership and 500 to the salesman max. So they shoulda offered me about 6k as a fair price. I see time and time again what these guys do to young uninformed buyers. "Fairness" is not in play.

This is capitalism. It's supply and demand. If you're informed you'll pay a "fair" price. MSRP is not fair. A dealer making 6-7k profit on a single car is not fair.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:23 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

As far as the dealers making a living...

Please! These guys are raking it in. They can make a nice profit at invoice. Don't kid yourself, most of these guys are out to screw you out of extra money. They wouldn't sell you the car if they weren't making a nice profit. The way the system is set up against the uninformed buyer is a load of BS. My dealer left the office and had his sales sheet for the month. He had sold like 24 cars in Feb. Surely, if he's making just a few hundred bucks off each he's banking even after spliting it with the dealership. And believe me this guy was doing very, very, well. How is it that one dealer told me sticker, one said 1k off, and the other quoted me 2500 off sticker? Are you telling me the first two are "just trying to make a living."

The guy I got the car from then says since I'm getting a good deal I have to trade wholesale. He offered me 4500 for my 2000 lx vert. I told him I'd try to sell it myself but otherwise trade it when the new one is delivered. Now, if you go on cars.com or whatever you wont find the car listed for less than 7500 at a dealership. I listed it for 6400, sold it at asking price within 3 days and had about a dozen people contact me. I took the ads down but people are still beating down the door trying to buy the car. The dealer wouldn't take less than 7 for it, most likely closer to 8. So he wants to make 2500 on my trade and that's fair? I can see 500 for advertising and cleaning it up. 500 to the dealership and 500 to the salesman max. So they shoulda offered me about 6k as a fair price. I see time and time again what these guys do to young uninformed buyers. "Fairness" is not in play.

This is capitalism. It's supply and demand. If you're informed you'll pay a "fair" price. MSRP is not fair. A dealer making 6-7k profit on a single car is not fair.
Then do inform us, how bad did those of us who paid 27-28 for 05 GT's get screwed? Bottom line is that last year you weren't getting your hands on one for less than 27.......unless you were lucky or connected. The demand was just too high. You either paid what you had to, or you didn't get one. Well.....I waited, for about 9 months.....then I couldn't take it anymore. I paid right about above invoice price for my options package....and I don't regret it. Could I have waited all the way till now when there are starting to be incentives......sure. But I didn't want to.......I entered the market for what was a hot item and came out with a good deal. And considering that that was a time when ppl were forking over 33K for a 25K car, I think I did pretty good. I agree that you shouldn't just pay what a dealership stickers a car at.....cuz 99% of the time they're @$$-**ping you. But if you're the type of person who typically won't buy a car unless you can talk the salesman into coming down 2K or more under the invoice price.......you should look at something other than a new mustang. Because until these new S197 body stangs start clogging the lots of dealerships, the average buyer isn't gonna make out like a bandit on one.
And since you feel MSRP is not fair......and our cars MSRP for about 25K.....then we all should rightfully be getting new 300hp cars for about 18K. Yea, right, not in this reality. This IS capitalism, and if the dealer don't like what u want to pay for that shiny new mustang......he can tell you to hit the road. And I promise you, you go in and tell them you're not paying more than 20K for a new mustang GT........you will be laughed off the lot.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:10 AM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

I think I said something about this in the V6 Board. I looked at every dealership between Monterey to San Jose trying to find a Plain Jane V6 with automatic (traffic sucks in California). I figured the GT was out of my price range; especially in Salinas, every GT here was either a Roush or a convertible, so there was a high mark-up.

Every place I looked had all Premium V6s, some had the Pony Package, some didn't, but the one I got, for $24k and change is the only one that had an automatic. I had to haggle like hell to get a decent payment I could afford. As much as I wanted the car, I couldn't be able to pay $500-$600 a month and still pay my rent.

So now I'm raising a Mustang for the next seven years, and I am totally happy with that.

Although if there's a new Trans Am like this:

Then I might have to get rid of the 'stang.

Naaahhhh.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:19 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: omer333

Although if there's a new Trans Am like this:

Then I might have to get rid of the 'stang.

Naaahhhh.
lol. Well, unless GM turns a corner and starts hiring guys like the one who designed that T/A concept......I don't think you have to worry about making that decision
Old 03-12-2006, 05:09 AM
cashman
1st Gear Member

Care to elaborate on this a little? I was told the vehicle had to be registered to your home state or the state you're stationed in... I REALLY wouldn't mind knocking off a couple grand in taxes
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

they woulndt budge on my car
Old 03-12-2006, 10:51 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Look at your LES. Look at the block that says ST. If it has the sate in there that you want to title it, then it doesn't matter where you are stationed. When I was stationed in Alaska a LONG time ago I changed my residency to there because you pay no state taxes. Also works well when buying a car.

ORIGINAL: cashman

Care to elaborate on this a little? I was told the vehicle had to be registered to your home state or the state you're stationed in... I REALLY wouldn't mind knocking off a couple grand in taxes
Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 AM
cashman
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mash2k

Look at your LES. Look at the block that says ST. If it has the sate in there that you want to title it, then it doesn't matter where you are stationed. When I was stationed in Alaska a LONG time ago I changed my residency to there because you pay no state taxes. Also works well when buying a car.
It has my home state prior to leaving for the military there, I've been stationed overseas since tech school so I haven't had a chance to change my residency to anywhere else.

I'm going to pick the car up in Indiana and drive to Arizona for my next duty station, I would need to register it in one of those two states... correct?

Quick Reply: Sticker Price?