Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie with 1 question and 2 comments!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Smokey04b

Default Newbie with 1 question and 2 comments!

Comment #1: Great forum - I've been combing through the posts for 3 days now and this is one of the most on topic, focused forums I've been in.

Question: I'm such a newbie that I haven't even bought a 'Stang yet, but, have been considering it heavily. My question is that the more I researched it, the more scared I am of actually purchasing! Over the past 15 years I've owned a '91 Celica and an '03 Ram 1500, both with vitually no problems (AC compressor froze on the Celica and a faulty computer chip in the Ram - both fixed under warranty), but all the problems listed on the new Stangs here have me second guessing myself. I live in Denver so frozen windows and emergency brakes are a big concern not to mention popping AC/heaters, squeaky front struts, bad cd players, etc. It seems that some here are such 'Stang enthusiasts that these problems are just accepted as part of owning one of these cars. Call me a heretic but when I'm laying down my hard-earned money I expect a certain level of quality - not Honda or Mercedes level (big price diff) but I don't expect to have to put it in the shop every other month either!

In the opinion of this group, have the '06s corrected a lot of these problems and, moreover, are they as prevelant as they seem from the number of posts?

Thanks in advance for any help from all!

Comment #2: I've read a lot of posts in here from military personnel and I'd just like to ask you guys and gals to be careful about what you post. I know we're all very proud about what we do, but we are at war and when you're talking about where you're stationed and where you're getting deployed to and when - you start getting into OPSEC issues (operational security for all you non-military types!) Remember those old WWII posters - "The walls have ears!" and you never know who's lurking on the net!
Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie with 1 question and 2 comments!

ORIGINAL: Smokey04b

In the opinion of this group, have the '06s corrected a lot of these problems and, moreover, are they as prevelant as they seem from the number of posts?

yes i believe so. I drive a 2006 and have not had any of the problems listed in this forum.... with the exception of a couple minor ones:

-cd player skipping (not a big deal, planning on getting an aftermarket one anyway)

-maybe one other little thing, but nothing that any car wouldn't potentially have (cant remember what it was..... dash rattle or something??)

anyway, i have not had any problems since i got the car back in October of 2005.

will
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

Comment #1: Great forum - I've been combing through the posts for 3 days now and this is one of the most on topic, focused forums I've been in.

Question: I'm such a newbie that I haven't even bought a 'Stang yet, but, have been considering it heavily. My question is that the more I researched it, the more scared I am of actually purchasing! Over the past 15 years I've owned a '91 Celica and an '03 Ram 1500, both with vitually no problems (AC compressor froze on the Celica and a faulty computer chip in the Ram - both fixed under warranty), but all the problems listed on the new Stangs here have me second guessing myself. I live in Denver so frozen windows and emergency brakes are a big concern not to mention popping AC/heaters, squeaky front struts, bad cd players, etc. It seems that some here are such 'Stang enthusiasts that these problems are just accepted as part of owning one of these cars. Call me a heretic but when I'm laying down my hard-earned money I expect a certain level of quality - not Honda or Mercedes level (big price diff) but I don't expect to have to put it in the shop every other month either!

Comment #2: I've read a lot of posts in here from military personnel and I'd just like to ask you guys and gals to be careful about what you post. I know we're all very proud about what we do, but we are at war and when you're talking about where you're stationed and where you're getting deployed to and when - you start getting into OPSEC issues (operational security for all you non-military types!) Remember those old WWII posters - "The walls have ears!" and you never know who's lurking on the net!
I also live here in Denver (howdy neighbor!) and can tell you that my '06 Mustang GT has been absolutely problem free. I bought her in October last year and have been delighted with the quality of the build and ride (even with our pot holed filled streets).
Old 02-21-2006, 03:59 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

I live in Denver so frozen windows and emergency brakes are a big concern not to mention popping AC/heaters, squeaky front struts, bad cd players, etc.
sticking parking brake in winter has happened in every car i've ever owned, so I keep the car in 1st or rvrs when parked rather than use the brake. Of course, if you're considering an automatic, then I guess you're stuck using the parking brake when parked.

a friend of mine moved from miami to denver last summer. he really noticed a loss in power in his stock M3 at your altitude. presumably, you'll be installing a supercharger at some point?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Smokey04b

That parking brake thing really freaked me out. I mean, that seems like a serious design oversight, doesn't it? My first duty station when I switched from the Army to the Air Force was in North Dakota - 40 deg below for 3 weeks straight our first winter there! We only had a 1 car garage so the Celica (5 spd manual) had to stay outside and although I had problems with the windows freezing and even the door locks, I never had any problem with the parking brake!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:45 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

The car does not have the quality fit and finish or the reliability build quality of a Honda Civic. ...but then no Mustang ever did; nor any American car for that matter; I've owned 4 Hondas and my 2000Mits Galant with 110k rides better and quieter than my new 06 GT. Thing is I knew this when I bought it and I won't be surprised with a few warranty issues. I wouldn't buy one as a 20k year daily driver; maybe cause I don't need to. I'll summarize by saying:

This GT is awesome!!!!!!!!!

I recently sold a nice 65 Corvette coupe; no comparison; the Mustang GT is "High tech, sweet muscle, with all the amenities" ...and compared to the Corvette, it rides like a Lexus. ...Jim
Old 02-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Smokey04b

Like I said, not expecting Honda type quality, but I don't want it to be in the shop all the time either, but maybe I'm over-reacting!

BTW, my 03 Ram only has 20k miles so I won't be running the stang into the ground!

Also, a dealer made me an offer today of $100 over invoice plus a $300 documentation fee? I'm going to look at it tomorrow. It's been on the lot since August and they must have been using it as a tester because it has 450 miles on it already. What do yall think?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:04 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

What is the window MSRP? What is the bottom line they will sell it for. You didn't say but it sounds like a 05. I'm not big on a "tester" unless they are giving it away. If you rode in the back seat while everyone tested it and then you were asked if you were interested in buying it; you'd say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
...but anyway, I suppose if the price break is rediculously low, then maybe. ...just not for me, sorry.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

Like I said, not expecting Honda type quality, but I don't want it to be in the shop all the time either, but maybe I'm over-reacting!

BTW, my 03 Ram only has 20k miles so I won't be running the stang into the ground!

Also, a dealer made me an offer today of $100 over invoice plus a $300 documentation fee? I'm going to look at it tomorrow. It's been on the lot since August and they must have been using it as a tester because it has 450 miles on it already. What do yall think?
$100 over invoice? That's not bad... When I first read this I thoguht you were saying $100 over MSRP... Anyway, I'm not big on 'tester' vehicles. Good luck. By the way, which dealership did you go to?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:08 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Sure you see alot of threads on here about little defects or problems ppl have had with their 05/06 mustangs. But this is no different than virtually any other car ever made. The ppl who are trouble free (like myself) don't post about being trouble free, so you get inundated with reports of problems that make it seem like a troublesome car. Just remember, for every person who complains about some rattle or warning lite coming on..........there are hundreds of others who experience no such problems at all. Factor that in when making your decision. If you take good care of it and don't pile on the miles there's no reason why a new mustang should ever have to be in the shop. My 98 v6 mustang has 110,000 miles on it and has never sat in a shop for mechanical problems even once.
My advice, test drive a few of them....autos and manuals (unless one of those choices is definitely not for you). If after a few rides it isn't beckoning to you to take it home, then maybe a new mustang isn't for you. If it does, then you know what you have to do...[sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: Newbie with 1 question and 2 comments!