Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mustang loses one of its competitors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Default New mustang loses one of its competitors

I heard about this before, but now it is officially true.
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1003&refsect=
Old 02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
diondon
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New mustang loses one of its competitors

The GTO was a bad idea. It had nice power but its design was so bland and boring.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

Wow, thats too bad..I saw a blue GTO the other day and really liked it.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
cableguymicah
3rd Gear Member

good...........its a cavialer body, with a chevy motor and made another country not a true american muscle imo
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
NoOriginalNamesLeft
2nd Gear Member

I wish they had taken the time and design manpower to make the GTO look like a real car again. Instead they did the typical GM strategy and half-assed the design stage, and just slapped a good engine in a crappy body. Next time I want a Grand Am with an LS2, that's what I'll ask for.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I had heard last year that 06 would be the GTO's last dance. Not surprising, considered the tiny market that thing ended up being aimed at. As with the Fbodies, sagging sales are gonna kill it. Then again, at least the Fbodies had a long and strong run before the sales started to slip. I don't think the GTO ever really got off the ground saleswise. The majority of the ppl who would really have loved to have that car couldn't afford it. Hell, a few weeks ago I passed by a local Chevy dealer and they still had an 05 GTO stickered at 35 grand. [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
On the other hand, I have heard from several sources that GM "may" redesign the GTO for an 08 re-release......but that ones still pretty iffy. Guess we'll have to see. Maybe they'll bring it back as the Pontiac counterpart to the new Camaro......which would mean that Firebird fans would be left out in the cold.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

They figured no one would know that it's a 10 year old chassis from Australia and it bit them in the ***. C'est la vie.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:38 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

That thing is FUGLY!!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:53 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grasshopper

They figured no one would know that it's a 10 year old chassis from Australia and it bit them in the ***. C'est la vie.
Yea,lol. I think they believed the U.S. customers would believe they designed it from the ground up as the GTO...when it was actually a car that was being sold down under for some time that they just modified and rebadged. It backfired pretty bad. Those who have the car love it, but I believe better styling or lower pricing would have netted more sales. Ultimately, the biggest injury GM caused itself with this car was putting the GTO badge on it. There were so many ppl, diehard GM ppl included, who went into a raging fury when they saw a Grand Am-Cavalier with that beloved badge on it......it was just bad press right from the start. And to think that their solution to the 04 debut's unstellar showing was to stick an even BIGGER engine in it and put scoops on the hood.......that's called not doing your homework.
And for those who like the sublte styling, consider this......I've only seen the new GTO on the road twice. And both times I saw it (first from the side, then from the back) I mistook it for a Honda. That's just downright not good for a car wearing the very heritage of American muscle on its badge. Not good at all.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Mattieb87

From what i understand....Holden is going to drop the Monaro which is another reason Pontiac is going to drop the GTO....2006 will be the beginning of a gap in the GTO's production run for Australia to US conversion.....supposedly being released again in 2008 or 2009 next to the camaro....but this time it will be released as a US designed and manufactured car.

Quick Reply: New mustang loses one of its competitors