Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Lack of Options for 2010 V6 Premium Grill - Thinking of Painting Mine

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 01:56 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Default Lack of Options for 2010 V6 Premium Grill - Thinking of Painting Mine

I've been looking for an after market grill for my 2010 V6 Premium (Pony Package) for quite a while now. I was looking for something chrome or silver but can't find anything. The ones I have found say that they will fit the base model V6 but not the V6 Premium. Does this sound right? What's the difference between the two besides the design. The size isn't different is it?

Anyway, since I can't find anything I was thinking of painting my upper and lower grille SILVER. A chrome look would be nice.

Anybody know the best product or method?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Personally if the choice is between silver (same color as your stripe I hope) and chrome.... I vote the silver. I am not big on the chrome myself...
Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Think long and hard on this one! I would even look up the cost of a replacement grill in case it doesn't turn out as well as you were hoping. I'd be concerned about the road debris and other foreign objects (bugs, etc) chipping or eating away at the paint after a while. If you use chrome paint will it be too much bling? If you are okay with the potential risks I say go for it.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:05 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
Think long and hard on this one! I would even look up the cost of a replacement grill in case it doesn't turn out as well as you were hoping. I'd be concerned about the road debris and other foreign objects (bugs, etc) chipping or eating away at the paint after a while. If you use chrome paint will it be too much bling? If you are okay with the potential risks I say go for it.
I bought some chrome paint after work today and plan on giving it a shot tonight. I don't think it will be too much bling. I've seen a few Mustangs with the billet grills (chrome) and they looked pretty good. Way better than black plastic. If it ends up turning out like crap, I'll just replace it with another factory Pony Grill. I'm willing to take the risk
Old 11-16-2009, 08:09 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I took the grill off (what a pain in the butt!) and sprayed about 6 coats of the chrome paint on it. It looks just as chrome as the pony emblem all around. I think it looks pretty darn good. I'll let it dry tonight and put it back on in the morning. I'll take pics and post them tomorrow in case anyone else is considering doing this.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:04 PM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Interesting....

My perfect grill would be your Pony package with the GT fog lights....

Can't wait to see your pics.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Got the grill back on this morning and I think it looks pretty good. Tonight I'm going to paint the square behind the pony black, and also paint the inside of the honey combs on the sides black. I think that will make it look more even.
Here are a few pics as it is now. I'll post more once I get the other stuff painted.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Alright, I did a complete 180 from the chrome grill look. I liked the chrome look but needed to paint around the pony with black paint as well as the honeycombs on the sides, so it would look more complete. I found that to be a major PITA, so I had another idea. I took the grill off again and decided to spray the entire grill (including pony emblem) with spray on bedliner. I did this to a lot of my Jeep when I had it, so that's where I got the idea. It's in my basement drying right now and looks pretty good. So, like I said, complete 180. I'll post pics when I get it on tomorrow morning.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

So you went from black to black with a texture?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:15 PM
discodave
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AJ_68
So you went from black to black with a texture?
Yep, sort of..... I had the Pony Grill so it had two chrome strips across as well as the chrome pony. It wasn't my original intent, of course. But, in the end, it ended up looking good. In my opinion, the textured / bedlined look is pretty cool too. Something you probably have to actually see to appreciate.

Quick Reply: Lack of Options for 2010 V6 Premium Grill - Thinking of Painting Mine