Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Couple Body line questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Default Couple Body line questions

My car since owning has been hit twice while parked. The first time the car was hit on the rear bumper and clipped the back quarter panel. The shop was never able to line up the rear quarter panel perfect. When looking at it from back to front it looks like it lines up perfect. When you stand where you would for the gas cap you can see the panel comes up a tad and it doesn't line up perfect. Should I body shop be able to line that up perfect? or since the metal was clipped will it always be a little off?

Second my car was clipped on the front bumper, just paint scratches. I got the car back today from the shop and noticed one side of the hood has more space on the left side than the right (just a tad I'm talking maybe 1 MM). Do you have to loosen or remove the front quarter panels to take off the bumper or put it back on? The hood lines up perfectly down the center of the car though.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

I'd stop taking it to that shop, and find a different place to park. Pisses me off to hear about dip****s doing that to your car...

Is the hood up too far on one side? Or over too far? Up too far would be a simple adjustment to the rubber feet that the hood rests on. Over too far, I'll let someone else comment, though it seems like you could correct that adjusting how its bolted to the hinges. Did the shop remove the hood for the repair?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I assume they did not remove the hood for the repair. I found pictures of it before the shop and the hood seemed to be off a little. And pictures before it was ever clipped I can't really tell if it was off at all. Basically the hood is perfectly on. But where the hood is by the fender there is two gaps there (obviously so you can open the hood). One side has like a MM larger gap all the way up than the other.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/IMG_6231.jpg

You may be able to see it. The left side gap is bigger than the right

Last edited by Lax07; 04-09-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 AM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Of all the non-violent crimes out there, hitting a parked car and leaving without fessing up to it has to be the one that angers me the most. Although you never stated that the offender didn't take responsibility for it . . .

Anyway, have you tried taking it back to the shop it was fixed at and asking them to fix it?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Well it was hit two times. The first time it was parked outside of my house and a drunk driver clipped it, we found him and he was arrested. That was the rear damage where the bumper and drivers side back quarter panel was clipped (the damage that really is annoying me).

The second time it was parked at work and a girl tried to get into a spot she couldn't. She did leave a note and payed up the next day. That gap was there before it went to the body shop (as seen in the picture). Could a small clip of done that to the hood? The bumper just needed to be repainted she just took some paint off, so it wasn't very hard.

The quarter panel I will bring it back to the shop today and say it really has been bugging me and to please try to realign the quarter panel. I'm also going to ask about the hood and why it might be off center like that.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Well I took it to them today. I have deemed the front hood is not their problem. It was like that before, I just was being to meticulous on it yesterday because I found out my dog had cancer... So I was in a very bad mood (shes 13 1/2 years old). With the rear bumper and back fender they are ordering a new bracket for the rear bumper and will fix it that way. Either the metal is out of line or the bumper is not sitting right. Either way its getting fixed next week!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
because I found out my dog had cancer... So I was in a very bad mood (shes 13 1/2 years old).
As you might guess from my member name, I am a dog lover. Very sorry to hear of this and I wish you well.