Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Photos of HID installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM
paulbrl

Default Photos of HID installation

Today I installed Retro Solutions' excellent HID kit on my GT. I ordered the 35W kit with (essential) bulb capping and opted for 4300K for the most factory look.

This kit is very popular among the fine folks on this forum and I wanted to add a few pics showing where I put the ballasts and grounds for a nice, OEM+ look.

Firstly, I started with the driver's side and removed the stock bulb and put in the HID. People have said that this is the more difficult to reach but with perseverance I managed to get it in. I took some pointers from this excellent write-up :-

http://www.viciousrides.com/blog/?p=37

I found my wires weren't long enough to mount the driver's side ballast on the suspension turret so I opted to mount both ballasts as he located his passenger's side, on the vertical surface below the airbox/fusebox respectively with the base of the ballast resting on the little ledge.

In both cases, I used self-adhesive Velcro to secure the ballasts.

I made two modifications to the loom as supplied by lengthening both ballast grounds so I could use the factory grounds as shown in the above photo. I've read that a few guys on here have had ground issues and I wasn't sure about using the hood prop bracket as the blogger had done.

I made the loom crossover along the top of the radiator and secured it with zip ties and mount blocks courtesy of Home Depot.

I grounded the relay (which had a capacitor inline) on one of the factory grounds and located the relay next to the fusebox. As with the ballasts, I used self-adhesive Velcro to secure the relay.

For the power feed I used an excellent tip from the following write-up :-

http://www.stangwriteups.com/s197-mu...-beam-install/

I passed the power feed under the fusebox and attached it into the 12V feed that goes into the fusebox.

Before I started I put some tape on the garage wall to record the factory positions of the low and high beam cut-offs. After fitting the HIDs, I found I had to make only minimal adjustments. The cut-off was strong and at the same level as factory for both high and low beam. I brought one up about 1/6 of a turn and the other down the same amount to balance them out a bit.

When I took this photo, the car was further forward in the garage so the cut-off doesn't co-incide with the tape but this illustrates the excellent quality of the lights.

And finally, here's a shot of them illuminating the garage!

Now it's dark I'll take her out for a drive and see how they perform. Let there be light...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
davesiar
2nd Gear Member

Looks good! How long did it take you to install these?
Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM
paulbrl

Cheers! Took me about 3 hours in total, 1.5 of which were working out what do with the grounds and where to route the wires!

It's all in the details, you can get these installed in much less time but if you want to make it neat and tidy it's worth the extra investment.

Just got back from the drive and they are, quite literally, a night and day difference! I would recommend these to anyone. And remember, use the discount code "MUSTANG" for members of this fine forum for $20 bucks off.

Don't forget the bulb capping! Just one of the many reasons why this kit is one of the best around. Full marks to Retro!