Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Well crap. FYI, the 11 (and probably the 10 as well) has thicker posts that are closer together, so the 05-09 headrests won't work. At least there is now a definite answer.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:41 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

"I also tend to believe that a company as large as Ford with the resources to do extensive product testing (crash testing included) is more qualified to pick a headrest based on that criteria (safety) than you are."

But, if they are not comfortable they will get removed, turned around backwards, or otherwise modified to the point where they may not be as effective. Those brilliant Ford engineers ain't so smart after all...what good does it do to make them safe if they aren't going to get used?

Form follows function.

Last edited by lpcard; 07-21-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lpcard
"I also tend to believe that a company as large as Ford with the resources to do extensive product testing (crash testing included) is more qualified to pick a headrest based on that criteria (safety) than you are."

But, if they are not comfortable they will get removed, turned around backwards, or otherwise modified to the point where they may not be as effective. Those brilliant Ford engineers ain't so smart after all...
Engineers design cars for the greater number of average people. This is the first thread that has gone on this long about these headrests, that I have seen, since I joined the forum over a year ago... I would say those stupid Ford engineers probably did a pretty good job.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:33 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

This is the first thread that has gone on this long about these headrests, that I have seen, since I joined the forum over a year ago... I would say those stupid Ford engineers probably did a pretty good job.

Talking to the dealer, the number 1 complaint on the new Mustangs is the headrests.
Yep, they sure did a great job.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:03 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

if the biggest complaint they have is headrests, I'd say they did a great job.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

if the biggest complaint they have is headrests, I'd say they did a great job.

Overall I would agree. I love this car, and the new 5.0 is fantastic. The headrests are the single fly in the ointment; they are annoying is all, but in a couple of years the aftermarket should catch up to it and someone (TMI?) will make adjustable ones like the ones that can be had for the 05-09's. Until then I've found a machine shop that straightened them up a bit, so now they aren't as annoying.
The biggest concern for Ford should be, how many people are finding them uncomfortable enough to turn them around (which looks dorky and defeats their purpose) or remove them altogether (which is worse)?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eightdogsbarkin
If anyone likes these headrests, they must have a smaller head than me.
I think it's a height thing lol
I'm only 5'9" tall.....so they are comfy for me lol
Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

I LOVE the headrests. The anti-whiplash design truly works. I got rear-ended at 40-45 MPH from at a dead stop and I swear they worked superbly. I've been rear ended before in other cars with normal headrests and they didn't do NEAR as good a job. Bravo to Ford for keeping my neck from snapping back!!
Old 09-19-2010, 11:48 AM
offroadrider

Default Found a solution for the headrest!

I absolutely detest the headrests on the front seats. If I wanted to look that closely at my belly button I'd use a mirror. Are there any aftermarket options that get rid of that awful forward tilt?
It's the only thing I don't like about the car.
We just purchased a 2010 Mustang. Yes, the headrest is undesireable. I own an '07 Toyota Tacoma 4-door. I removed the rear headrest because of limited view. They fit the Mustang (ever-so slightly loose) but upright. Buy the color to match. Front seat headrests are thicker, but they fit as well as upright.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM
offroadrider

Default Headrest option

I absolutely detest the headrests on the front seats. If I wanted to look that closely at my belly button I'd use a mirror. Are there any aftermarket options that get rid of that awful forward tilt?
It's the only thing I don't like about the car.
BTW, the Toyota Tacoma front seat headrest would be the better choice for strength, Rear set is not reinforced as well as the front.

Quick Reply: Headrests