Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

On the edge of tinting windows (NJ)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:30 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default On the edge of tinting windows (NJ)

I've never tinted any of my cars before. I'm 30, drive just over the bubble of the speed limit for the most part and live in northern NJ. I haven't been pulled over by a cop in years despite having driven an 05, 06 and now 2010 Mustang with stripes and decent exhaust setups. (Loudmouths on the 06 and now Ford Stingers on the 10)

My problem is that my Grabber Blue is asking for it. It has the stripes, the chin spoiler and (whenever it's ready) the SHR decklid panel. I was going to powdercoat my rims black, but decided to hold off on that.

Since I am in NJ, I won't go the distance and will keep it to 35% on everything but the windshield. (I'm jealous of 20%) Think this will be a good fit? I'm on the edge and having some comments to push me over one way or the other will help. I know 35% will be lighter than what I really like, but I'll accept less in order for less issues with the law. Besides, maybe the lighter tint will go better with the flat black stripes. I do have a black interior, so that will probably make it look darker.

If anybody has pics of a lighter-colored car with 35% tint, it would be appreciated...I've used the search, but there are a ton of threads to go through and most are darker cars. Of course any other Grabber Blue pic I find has darker than 35%.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

35% in the front two 20% on the back three, it'll look good
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I have 35% on the sides and 5% on the rear. I like it. Click my exhaust clip link above my sig there's a walk around about 1/2 way into the vid, you can see what that looks like.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Just make sure you stay legal. I tint all my cars. I have a sterling grey metallic I just got and can't wait to get 3M charcoal colormatch back on her. It keeps the interior looking new for far longer than normal. People always wonder how I do it especially with leather interiors. It's the tint and semi annual leather conditioning.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

As far as staying legal, I guess I should have mentioned that in NJ you can't have any tint on the ws, driver & front passengers windows. Anything behind the driver is open season. Most use the old rule of thumb that says keep it light enough to see inside if you want to stand out less.

Originally Posted by 86 5.0L
35% in the front two 20% on the back three, it'll look good
I thought about that too, but I think I want all of them to be the same. It might help out with the law if they see the front is less dark than the rear though.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

This is my first tinted vehicle, and well worth it. I have 20% all around, and I will be tinting any and all vehicles to come in the future. Tint is a must.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:04 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

well after checking it out for ya, no matter what % you put on it, if you get stopped you'll have to remove it. NJ law doesn't allow "any" tint on the front side windows. Only the rear and rear windshield.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/NJ/
Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

CA doesnt allow front window tint but I still got it, have not gotten any trouble from the cops and it REALLY helps on those 110* days
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
BQuiz

Default Tinting

Window Tint is the first thing I put on a vehicle. It is a must, in my opinion, for heat/glare control, protecting interior from fading, and for all out good looks. Fortunately, I live in a fairly lenient state on window tint. I am illegal, with 15% SolarGard NR Supreme all the way around...(only a small glare strip on windshield though)...

I have never had trouble. In my experience here, you only get in trouble if:
(1) You act like a fool and draw attention to yourself, or
(2) Run across some LEO that has a thing for tinting or wants to nitpick you.

I work for a company that distributes window film and we actually have window tint shops that buy from us that are owned/operated by guys that are also city police officers and state troopers. LOL Go Kentucky!

I know that other states are much different, so it's all in where you live. If you lived here, I would tell you to put whatever you want on there and let it roll...but considering your state, you may want to go with 35%...eventhough it's just as illegal as 5% in Jersey. Personally, I think 35% is better than nothing...but I want my windows dark, because it just looks better!

The responsible answer is to be legal, in which case you couldn't do anything. That sucks. Put 35 on it, don't act the fool, and roll your windows down quickly in a traffic stop. LOL In my opinion, 35% does not look vastly different from some factory tinted glass.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Pony123
2nd Gear Member

I live in Newark, NJ i ride with Limo tint on the back and in the front 20% with no tint on windsheild.

Definitly do 20% all around u can barely tell the difference. I havent been pulled over for it yet .

Quick Reply: On the edge of tinting windows (NJ)