Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

painted side skirts and rearfasia

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:54 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I didn't paint them myself. And most bodyshops don't want to touch it. You have to shop around.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 AM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
I didn't paint them myself. And most bodyshops don't want to touch it. You have to shop around.
Do you mind sharing how much it cost you for rear fascia and sides?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
It can be done but it is fragile. Most painters don't want to do it as the paint just doesn't stick well to the rubber. Your best bet would be to buy replacement pieces in urethane or fiberglass those are easy to paint. I took the gamble and I love the way it looks.
[/IMG]
Huh? It's just textured plastic. The paint will stick fine as long as the surface is prepped properly.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:53 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adam
Huh? It's just textured plastic. The paint will stick fine as long as the surface is prepped properly.
The side skirts are plastic the rear fascia and front CS spoiler are textured rubber. And paint shops were very quick to say they would not guaranty that the paint would stick. And they are right the paint is already coming off in some places. I know the guy who owns the shop that did it for me and he did his best but it is what it is.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM
KonaS197

Looks great besides that spoiler... So many good spoilers out there that go with the lines of the car, sad to see that on there..
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 AM
uin2it
3rd Gear Member

Painting them looks ok on dark colored cars, not white, red, grabBlue, etc.
You might be able to get them from DgCustoms or 3dCarbon
Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uin2it
Painting them looks ok on dark colored cars, not white, red, grabBlue, etc.
You might be able to get them from DgCustoms or 3dCarbon
How do you say that? My cars color is Sunset Gold...a very light color.

I had the dealership paint the rear valance and a friend of my dads paint the rocker panels. The paint even after 2 years of the rear valance being on and the rocker panels being on for 6 months now PAINTED. No rock chips whatsoever if you are having trouble with that get yourself some gt500 mudflaps. All of you who have had their paint chipping off the painter WASN'T EXPERIENCED enough in painting the textured pieces on these cars. The guy that did mine has done it on camaros, corvettes, etc.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:12 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

It's a matter of proper prep (not that it's so simple - someone experienced in their trade, it should be however).

Mustang0672, your car always draws my eye; My eyes have an addiction to Sunset Gold something fierce.. by the by, born june, '72 by chance?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
It's a matter of proper prep (not that it's so simple - someone experienced in their trade, it should be however).

Mustang0672, your car always draws my eye; My eyes have an addiction to Sunset Gold something fierce.. by the by, born june, '72 by chance?
Thanks for the nice words, not many people liked the color when it WAS available. When my car was sitting on the lot while signing papers the car just sitting there, they sold 3 more sunset gold mustangs. You have to see it in real life to know the true beauty of the magnificent color. The GT/CS grille with the black GT500's really set the color apart.

Nah man, I'm not that old.....I am only 16.
Here are a couple more pictures of the car with the valance painted and all, these are the most recent pictures.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 PM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustang0672
Thanks for the nice words, not many people liked the color when it WAS available. When my car was sitting on the lot while signing papers the car just sitting there, they sold 3 more sunset gold mustangs. You have to see it in real life to know the true beauty of the magnificent color. The GT/CS grille with the black GT500's really set the color apart.

Nah man, I'm not that old.....I am only 16.
Here are a couple more pictures of the car with the valance painted and all, these are the most recent pictures.

every time i see your car i admire the beauty, but have you ever considered painting your spoiler black and or putting cowl stripes on the hood? it would look sick!

Quick Reply: painted side skirts and rearfasia