Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

10" wide rim and 40mm offset..Anyone running this

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:24 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I believe I am running that offset and the exact size tire you are asking about, Here is a pic
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

they don't stick out past the fenders, the angle is not great in that pic and the 10's have so many curves it's a bit of an optical illusion. If you put something like a yard stick down the flat part of the fender at the flare its flush. the flares on the fenders stick out more at the top than the bottom so it looks like they stick out from some angles. also with a 40 offset you will be out 1mm further than mine are. and someone will correct me if i am wrong, but a 40mm offset 10 and a 40mm offset 8.5 will be at the same point to the front of the fender will they not? More of the 10" will be across the inside of the fender well correct? offsets always confuse me so i may be wrong.

Last edited by ShaneM; 11-03-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:44 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
they don't stick out past the fenders, the angle is not great in that pic and the 10's have so many curves it's a bit of an optical illusion. If you put something like a yard stick down the flat part of the fender at the flare its flush. the flares on the fenders stick out more at the top than the bottom so it looks like they stick out from some angles.
Sorry its a little grainy but better angle

Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

that doesnt look to bad..I need more straight on front shots or rear shots to show how the tires line up with the fenders.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
that doesnt look to bad..I need more straight on front shots or rear shots to show how the tires line up with the fenders.
I see what I can do for you, Probably not til tomorrow morning though. They do not stick out past the upper portion of the fenderwell I will take some shots of the rear view for you. Like the other guy said the many angles of the car and wheels can give a false impression that they stick out. I will say that they look bada**!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
a 40mm offset 10 and a 40mm offset 8.5 will be at the same point to the front of the fender will they not? More of the 10" will be across the inside of the fender well correct? offsets always confuse me so i may be wrong.
When the offset is held constant, half of the added width goes on the inside and half to the outside. So the 10" would stick 0.75" further out.

What we maybe don't know is whether the front and rear flares are equal width as measured across the car.

Norm
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Digital_Synapse
2nd Gear Member

look at the RTR wheels in person. they're super flush, but in every pic look like they stick out.

See, everyone says the rear stick out, they look like it here right?

this is from the rear.

looking down the edge of the quarter panel, perfectly level with the line...

fender

See, looks like the camber is off, and all the wheels stick out, but as I've just shown, that's all an optical illusion.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I don't think that "super flush" quite works as a "pass/fail" guideline.

I suspect that for some people, being dead flush (generally) is still too far out. True, most tire sidewalls have a little curvature to them (and the fender is already rolled on these cars). But whether it'd actually rub on driving over a speed bump or anything else that compresses the suspension a couple of inches may not really matter if it looks like it will.

Being dead flush at only the top of the wheel opening is probably more difficult for more people to accept, at least as far as street driving is concerned. Most any view except the one view looking straight down past that one point toward the axle centerline is going to show visible tire outside the sheetmetal. Once you get below the body side line where the sheetmetal starts turning in, this doesn't matter as much, but seeing most of the outermost tread blocks above that point does.

Norm
Old 11-04-2010, 02:09 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by conejo172
I see what I can do for you, Probably not til tomorrow morning though. They do not stick out past the upper portion of the fenderwell I will take some shots of the rear view for you. Like the other guy said the many angles of the car and wheels can give a false impression that they stick out. I will say that they look bada**!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

Rained all day here but as you can see in the above picture from ShaneM it is what I would have posted Looks great BTW!

Quick Reply: 10" wide rim and 40mm offset..Anyone running this