Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

painted stripes? good price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default painted stripes? good price?

So i am having a new radiator cover painted and when i went to check on it today i started talking to the painter about painting my wheels. i had intended to just go gloss black and leave the lip machined. He suggested that we do gloss black and then paint the inset part of the wheel that goes around the lugs and runs up the spoke in the recessed are of the "V" spokes grabber blue. Closeup below:

I can't picture that honestly. I have seen the raceline wheels that look like mine with some wild colors in two tone like that and they look really good on the right car. it might be really nice looking, i just don't want to be over the top and mess up the look I am going for. i want to go gloss black for sure, just not sure about the GB inserts.

I also talked with the dude about painting on my super snake stripe rather than vinyl. He quoted me $700-800 with the stripes laid in and cleared so the paint is smooth and the stripes look like they were there from the factory. That seems like a really good price. The sign shop guy i spoke with wanted $400 to lay new matte vinyl down for me. If I go with gloss black I'll never have to worry with peeling and scratches on them, plus I can clean the paint much easier.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:00 AM
JeremyAlan
2nd Gear Member

gonna give the photoshop a shot. black on the raised portions?

EDIT***
Here's a quicky

Last edited by JeremyAlan; 12-02-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Adam
4th Gear Member

I'd stick to all black with chrome lip. The last thing Grabber Blue needs is MORE grabber blue to accentuate the color. I think the black contrast is a necessity and that adding grabber blue wheel accents would just make things too busy.

Last edited by Adam; 12-02-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 AM
JeremyAlan
2nd Gear Member

+1 with Adam

more black accents make it look good.

**Edit
Here is black:

Last edited by JeremyAlan; 12-02-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

agree, black it is. nice chop though dude, thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 AM
JeremyAlan
2nd Gear Member

Np buddy
Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM
grancuda
1st Gear Member

I would not do the blue on the wheels for sure.

No way I would have the stripes painted on, vinyl is not hard to maintain if you go with gloss black on the vinyl, the matte stuff is hard to maintain regaurdless if it is paint or vinyl.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Shadow_Chaser
1st Gear Member

Gotta say the black looks best, blue is a nice contrast, but it would be too 'busy' on your car. In regards to stripes, I was gonna do flat black to keep my car 'stealthed' and clean... but it's a PITA to clean... I've recently picked up on FLX paint for stripes (vinyl w/ paint)... I don't have first hand experience but it looks great. Thinking of doing some supersnake stripes in Kona Blue Metallic on my black 'stang... ~$425 w/o installation fees.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grancuda
I would not do the blue on the wheels for sure.

No way I would have the stripes painted on, vinyl is not hard to maintain if you go with gloss black on the vinyl, the matte stuff is hard to maintain regaurdless if it is paint or vinyl.
I love the super snake stripe. I went vinyl the first time bc I wanted to be sure I liked it. I can't imagine the car wo it now. The current stripe is banged up and drives me crazy. The painted stripe is only 300 more than new vinyl and the paint will be smooth as glass. I am def getting painted on was just wondering what some thought of price. Hoping Pasqal hops in here. The dude does good work.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:16 PM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

+1 ShaneM

Just put a vinyl Supersnake on my GT to see how I felt and love it, can't wait to have it painted, but at this point will probably wait for Spring. Have no idea on painted cost but vinyl plus install was about $450

Quick Reply: painted stripes? good price?