Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Need help finding a new hood.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Yup I just got a TF 3" cowl hood. Tucked away the washers... can't use them on the TF hood, and don't really need them in LA anyways. Or maybe my shop was like your shop... looking for holes that don't exist.

I got it after an accident and insurance is paying for it. I kinda wanted the Saleen, but I have a feeling it's gonna be the next FOTM and everyone who can't afford it will be running the VIS hood, like how the GT/CS+BOSS splitter is everywhere now

Going over harsh bumps you can see the cowl of the hood (from inside the car) bounce a little bit, but I'm not too worried.

Fitment was slightly off, but made adjustments and it isn't noticeable at all unless I tell you it's there AND you specifically look for it.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I much prefer the TF cowl contours than the BBR's big fat flat hump, but that's just me.

Pics later today.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Yup I just got a TF 3" cowl hood. Tucked away the washers... can't use them on the TF hood, and don't really need them in LA anyways. Or maybe my shop was like your shop... looking for holes that don't exist.

I got it after an accident and insurance is paying for it. I kinda wanted the Saleen, but I have a feeling it's gonna be the next FOTM and everyone who can't afford it will be running the VIS hood, like how the GT/CS+BOSS splitter is everywhere now

Going over harsh bumps you can see the cowl of the hood (from inside the car) bounce a little bit, but I'm not too worried.

Fitment was slightly off, but made adjustments and it isn't noticeable at all unless I tell you it's there AND you specifically look for it.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I much prefer the TF cowl contours than the BBR's big fat flat hump, but that's just me.

Pics later today.
I'll probably get the nozzle relocation kit from AM. Are you using hood pins? Also, did it come with the reinforced latch and plate?
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

No hood pins. TruFiber recommends it but it's not required. I don't think it comes with reinforced latch and plate, since most of the stock parts were reused. I'm not sure.. I just handed the hood straight to the body shop and they figured it out

Anyways, here are some pics taken with crappy phone (new one charging) and car in need of a car wash. It hasn't been washed since I got it back from the shop but I'm gonna do it before going to a show this weekend

Old 08-26-2011, 07:11 AM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Your car looks great, Jimmy. I love the contrast between the black and white.

Well, hopefully I'll get my car back today. Those ******s have had it since Monday.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Got my car back yesterday and, though I like the look of the Trufiber hood, I'm not crazy about the fitment.

It's like this on both sides:

Name:  LCcXi.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  230.5 KB

That's really my only complaint besides the fact that their website said it would come with a reinforced hinge and didn't. The shop guys had to fabricate a plate for it.

The gap at the leading edge of the hood is from the billet grille not being built right and pulling the shroud down. I'm going to have to shim the shroud up:
Name:  xRAjj.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  252.1 KB

Name:  MCSyg.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  350.8 KB

All in all, I'm happy with it. I'm going to have to get a washer nozzle relocation kit though.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Daaang that front end looks aggressive! Mighty, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it for them to paint the hood? I'm taking a paint and finish class next year for my degree in automotive collision repair so I may be able to bring it in as a class project to paint for free or cheap lol.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by goodfun_gt
Daaang that front end looks aggressive! Mighty, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it for them to paint the hood? I'm taking a paint and finish class next year for my degree in automotive collision repair so I may be able to bring it in as a class project to paint for free or cheap lol.
It was an insurance job so I don't really know. The quote was ~$2900. It came to ~$2400 when it was done, I think, but that included the cost of the factory hood, which is ~$1300.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:21 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Ah, I see. Should have read that part but just came on over here after you said to check it and see some pictures lol. And damn that's a lot of money, looks like new hood made is coming later than sooner.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Mighty
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by goodfun_gt
Ah, I see. Should have read that part but just came on over here after you said to check it and see some pictures lol. And damn that's a lot of money, looks like new hood made is coming later than sooner.
The hood I had put on was only like $550 or something. They figured the cost of the factory replacement in the total so I had room to wiggle. They also figured in the cost of the factory grille and foglights, which I didn't need.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM
reckles1

Default Hood PIC

[QUOTE=Mighty;7633387]Finally getting the hood damage fixed, but I can't decide on a hood. I'm leaning toward a 3" cowl, but I'm looking for other options. I like the design of the stock hood, but hate the stick on scoop. Are there any hoods that look similar to that? Like a cowl hood with a scoop or somethin

I'm not sure how to post pics on here, but if you go to my pic's you can check out the RK hood I just put on

Quick Reply: Need help finding a new hood.