Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

My new 2012 kona blue, AM deck lid, dash kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Newatthis
Folks,

After 3 long months waiting for my first Mustang ever...I've been missing out but glad to be in the club!

This is one heck of a car!

Same day i got the car, the floor mats, AM deck lid came in, followed by the dash kit. Been sleeping little these last couple of days driving or putting things into the car. The whole bumper, front of fenders, up the whole hood 16", mirrors, behind door handles, have Ventureshield "bra" paint protection applied. Quarters and back window tinted 28%.

Will be replacing the exhausts with Borla S type axle backs, finding the stocks too quiet. Will also get all side markers and tails tinted next week.

Enjoy the pics here.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/36980...02011?h=c1375e
Where did you find that dash kit?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:48 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Very nice and clean car, especially the interior!
Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Chip,

I got the dash kit from Mitch at Dynomitedash.com in Toronto area.
Great guy to deal with. He works with the factory that makes these kits for roush, others, etc. I specifically asked for "piano gloss black" which is in the roush cars. He can be reached at sales@dynomitedash.com. There's more info at the site above. He can do it in carbon fiber, different colors, customization, etc. I got it in about a week as they have to be cut to the color material you want. This is an entire kit but he can get just the pieces you'd want, within reason. For example, i ordered the whole kit including for the front aluminum panels but decided i didn't want to use em. I decided to use the kit to accent the car by using only some parts.

The quality (right thickness) and fit is top notch and once on, looks like the car came from the factory that way.

It comes with a small pack of 3M adhesion promoter, which i used by using a q tip to dip inside the pack, then using the slightly damp q tip like a glue stick to paint (edges, curved parts) onto the plastic where I'd stick the kit pieces on. The first thing is to trial place each piece onto each area you want covered, planning the best way to stick them on (nothing getting in the way, knowing where the cuves/bends are going to be, fit/appearance is good, etc), I then warmed up the pieces with a hair dryer on LOWEST HEAT ONLY, after removing the tape backing to soften up a bit (specially for areas with curves as the parts have to be flexible enough to be able to follow the bends), then VERY CAREFULLY applying to the area (one side at a time either top to bottom, or left to right, etc). (The one piece to really be careful is the piece where the "Sync by Microsoft" thingy is on the center console as you have to be sure the kit piece for it is flexible enough to bend around that area to connect with the two biggest pieces above (radio) and below it (gear shift) so look and trial fit the three pieces for the console very carefully. I started with the big radio piece, then trial fitted the small ("Sync" piece below it), before putting on the last piece for surrounding the gear shift. You also have to remove the chrome plastic bezel around the gear shift so it sits on top of the dash kit piece when done. Remove this by wedging around it using a wide flat screwdriver wrapped in masking tape or paper towel so you don't scratch anything. It's wedged around the gear box area in four places and will pop up when you start to wedge the screwdriver around. Get one corner out and you'll know how much force to use to remove this plastic "chrome" bezel).

Might help to get an extra pair of hands for the big pieces. Be sure to remove the red tape backing before using the hair dryer or it will be next to impossible to remove. Also, using high heat will warp the piece (caught just in time lol). Remove the plastic backing by starting at the widest part of each piece first to get leverage to remove the whole thing as it is stuck on pretty aggressively. This stuff isn't coming off once it's put in place so patience and lots of attention needed to work with. Before sticking the pieces, I wiped off the panels with water mixed with small amount of "Simple Green" to degrease, before applying the 3M adhesion promoter using q tip. Be careful not to drip the 3M stuff anywhere else therefore using a q tip to "paint" the panels where the kit will cover is best. (This is a think wedge of foam material that is soaked in promoter liquid and packed like a towelette. I cut just a corner of the packet, then dipped the q tip inside to moisten. This is exactly as per the attached instructions to do.)

The link below has pics of the kit i got, including a numbered parts list i got from Mitch of what the whole kit has. He also sent me a few sample pics of carbon fiber look applied in a Mustang, using the whole kit.

A photo shows the left over parts i've decided not to use for now (aluminum panels, steering wheel stuff, door heater vent surround, overhead light console kit, etc).

Kit comes either for cars with nav, or without, and other model years.

I hope this helps. The whole kit i paid $200 and very pleased with it.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/36980...20kit?h=6b1dee

Last edited by Newatthis; 08-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

Wow, this is definitely something I will be doing to my interior. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Goodfun,

I took a few macro shots of a kit piece to give an idea of the thickness compared to a penny, and gloss quality of this kit. It's not some flimsy vinyl material as you can see. Taken right under a table lamp. Just to show the quality of this stuff.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/36980...20kit?h=6b1dee
Old 08-29-2011, 12:27 AM
BodyInkMustang
1st Gear Member

Nice ride. Which dash kit is that? I don't like the hydro cf one that's on AM
Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Newatthis
1st Gear Member

Bodyink,

It's a kit from Dynomitedash.com. Email Mitch at sales@dynomitedash.com to get hooked up. He's a distributor for Sherwood, the company/factory that actually makes this stuff. Sherwood sells only to distributors though. Sherwood apparently makes these kits for saleen, roush, etc.

Here's the link to the Sherwood site that has galleries of their kits.

http://www.sherwoodinnovations.com/S...spx?product=DK

I actually bought this kit from www.dynomitedash.com as the factory won't sell to individuals.

Last edited by Newatthis; 08-29-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

nvm lol....