Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Help! I am a dumbass!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Default Help! I am a dumbass!

I was tired when I got home last night, pulled into the garage, pushed the door only to hear a groan and have to door go back up. I missed my mark and hadn't pulled in far enough. The handle gouged into the paint on the bumper and balled up the material a little at the end of each mark. Is there a way to fix this without repainting/replacing the bumper?

Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 AM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

Not that I know of. Lol that sucks man. I've always been scared that's going to happen to me.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
xenocide
2nd Gear Member

Put a bumper sticker on top of it.

Sucks man, hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so you dont miss your mark.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, a statigically placed 2x4 on the
floor serves as my "I am all the way in" stop.

It can be fixed if you can find someone with the skill in plastics...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johngt10
Not that I know of. Lol that sucks man. I've always been scared that's going to happen to me.
...and I thought I was the only one terrified of that!

I'd get some touchup paint, fill it in with color, then use a little rubbing compound followed by swirl remover to try and 'level' the repair. It would probably look OK. I don't think it's ever going to be invisible without repainting the bumper though.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:26 PM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

I picked up my touch up paint today and I think I am going to order the Langka kit to help out. I am planning on having some custom work done in the next year, hopefully this will get me through until then. Langka link
Old 11-09-2011, 10:36 PM
treborwd22

Sucks to see that happen. If it was me I would fill it in the best I could for a smooth surface. Then I would get Matte Black Shelby Super Snake stripes put on to cover up the area.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Body shops fix bumper covers with tears and gashes all the time. That'll be a pretty cheap and inexpensive fix. Depending on what type of paint that is, they can repaint and fade that area into the rest of the paint.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

When I had a gash on my front bump (pulling into the garage and hit my other car lol) all the shops I went to recommended repainting. Yeah, you can touch it up, but (1.) you will still be able to tell and (2.) you'll know it's there even if you can't tell.

They wanted ~$300 for repaint. I paid about that much for the takeoff bumper so I passed on it. Lo and behold, 3 weeks later I get in a car accident the other guy's fault and insurance buys me a new one.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 AM
stepqhen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimmyM
When I had a gash on my front bump (pulling into the garage and hit my other car lol) all the shops I went to recommended repainting. Yeah, you can touch it up, but (1.) you will still be able to tell and (2.) you'll know it's there even if you can't tell.

They wanted ~$300 for repaint. I paid about that much for the takeoff bumper so I passed on it. Lo and behold, 3 weeks later I get in a car accident the other guy's fault and insurance buys me a new one.
So I need to go out and get rear ended, problem solved!

Quick Reply: Help! I am a dumbass!