Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Suggestions wanted!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:18 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Default Suggestions wanted!!

I have really been considering the Saleen grill, and C/S lower thing.. but it seems like everyone is doing it and the look is maybe over done??

Also what if I had some parts painted... part of the cs lower, the outer part of the saleen grill, side skirts, and most of the rear. Would that look more original and set the car apart? ...would it ruin the red/black or would there still be enough..

Its bad to have regrets, and I love my car...But some times I wish I would have bough white lol.... I just cant think of any good color combos with red except for red and black....all in all I like red/black and love my ride but want some suggestions.

Sorry for how illiterate and hard to follow the above sentences may be. I can't quite explain what I am trying to describe with out being out side using my hands to point to my car lol...

Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Head Up - I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help.

It's going to be difficult to find something body wise that hasn't been done before (or too much) and still looks decent (there's a lot of ugly body work out there) unless you design/fabricate your own parts. Your only recourse is to find something that *you* like, and to hell with how often it's been done in the past.

As far as stripes are concerned it would be equally difficult to come up with something that would look like it belongs on the car AND is unique. You have three traditional paint schemes, as well as several variations within each scheme that you can use:

0) Traditional Le Mans stripes front to back - various widths (4 to 12-inch), with and without border stripes, and used by the Shelby's and rather severe traditionalists, such as myself. This would also place several acceptable hood styles into the realm of possible use. You could also put the Supersnake single stripe on the car. In either case, you'd probably want to also add rocker stripes.

1) The "Mach 1" appearance - blacked out hood (or black center stripe with two border stripes), black louvers, black rocker stripes, black pedestal spoiler, and black rear panel, as well as at least two reasonable hood configurations (shaker hood and 72-style hood).

2) Boss appearance with a accoutrements similar to the Mach 1, but with appropriate boss side stripes (not necessarily saying BOSS or anything like that).

If copying a traditional appearance isn't your bag, the world is pretty much your oyster, allowing you to do something completely off the page, like painting the front 1/3 of the car a different color, like silver, and use a black stripe to separate the silver from the red. Or maybe a very wide (10-inch?) FIA stripe that goes all the way across the front of the car, like the old 289 FIA Cobras had. If you did that, you could find a way to put a chrome FIA stripe (with a black border) on the car, and change your wheels to chrome Razors. I bet you could get a chrome vinyl stripe.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

it's a mustang - if your goal was to be a unique snow flake, picking one of if not the best selling sportscars of all time, was your first mistake.

that being said, your ideas are tasteful and it would stand out a little more compared to most stangs.

white indeed rules - everything goes with it. the only limit is your imagination. red is harder to pair things with : )
Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Paint the faux gas cap and front pony with plastidip...done. Car looks real good, and doesn't seem to "follow" anyone else's exactly.

I'd get a front lip of some sort too.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
DSargent09
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
Paint the faux gas cap and front pony with plastidip...done. Car looks real good, and doesn't seem to "follow" anyone else's exactly.

I'd get a front lip of some sort too.
Thanks man, first real suggestion yet. I came within inches of painting the faux cap yesterday but decided sitting on my *** and enjoying my day off was a little more inviting....
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Pick a vinyl that you dig, bust out the plasti-dip like Moshpit said, maybe cover those fogs with some shades, tint up the corners maybe? Black your emblems with the dip while it's handy? Dip a rear decklid on there? (Thats my next experiment, vs $120 piece of plastic back there...)

Vinyl the roof with gloss black for the 'glass roof' look, or maybe 2-tone it, the top half black, the bottom red as is.

It's already looking pretty clean and unique, go tasteful - not just to be different.

blacked faux caps work well, the whole thing or just the rim (for you GT guys) can look good too!

Last edited by JayyVee; 04-20-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Morty8833
1st Gear Member

Gt500 spoiler would go good, as well as some front and rear side marker tint, tail tint, fog tint, and paint the ring of the faux cap with some plasti-dip. Oh and get it lowered, looks pretty tall from the pics.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

the saleen and cs front combo is played out, but you're not getting the right impression on here. I mean honestly, how often do you see a modded mustang (and I mean more than just exhaust or stripes) on your way to work? The combo seems prevalent in the aftermarket industry, but you won't see too many of them out in the street often.

If you want to be a little different, have you considered investigating striping options other than lemans, boss style, or super snake stripes? I'm sure a vinyl shop could cut you out a design that's very much your own. Or like moshpit said, grab a chin spoiler. Most go with the cs conversion, I'd say look for a chin if you want to go against the grain.

There's a reason why so many things are played out and that's because a lot of people think they look good. The only way to be a little more unique is in the subtle touches that go into each mod. Say you got Roush quarter window louvers, maybe you paint the edges black to emphasize (what my girflriend calls) the gills?

It's little touches like that that will go a long way. Getting parts custom painted is also a good way to be a little "different".