Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Too much....gray?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
I thought all of the 13's had the heat extractors in the hood...
Only GTs have heat extractors, not V6 models.

OP, nice car! If you want to brake up the gray, try tinting your windows, Plastidipping your wheels, and add some black stripes. That would totally break up the color and make it more appealing!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Brink500

Originally Posted by steel pony

gloss black is ok, but i think the flat colors work better with the paint fleck since you are looking to contrast the base color vs. drawing too much attention to a secondary color

I love the way the matte black breaks it up, plus at twilight when it starts to change color the matte black starts to blend in a little more
Totally agree on using matte black rather than glossy black. Great points, thanks!

Originally Posted by Tanner05
Beautiful car, OP.
The only thing I see is the front needs some black to balance out all the black on the rear end. Maybe have your front grilles painted or powder coated black?
Thank you! I would love to do this! I might plastidip the grille as well as the wheels. I'm not sure if I can do a permanent change...I may freak out too much!

Originally Posted by Antonio323
OP, nice car! If you want to brake up the gray, try tinting your windows, Plastidipping your wheels, and add some black stripes. That would totally break up the color and make it more appealing!
Thanks! I think I'll plastidip the wheels and grille to switch it up a bit. If I don't like it, I can always take it off. As for the stripe, I have a black MCA decal running along the side. It was hard to see from these camera angles, though. I would put a big stripe right down the middle, but then I feel like the car may have an identity crisis as I want it to be more stealth and less race car.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 PM
SPlymyer

I have the same set-up, 2013 MCA V-6 in sterling. I went 5% on the tint (illegal) and I think it looks great. Would like to see how this color/body style looks with a black wheel though...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Just say no to black wheels, they're ugly (in my opinion)
Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 AM
Brink500

Originally Posted by SPlymyer
I have the same set-up, 2013 MCA V-6 in sterling. I went 5% on the tint (illegal) and I think it looks great. Would like to see how this color/body style looks with a black wheel though...
Nice! I like the basic $149 charcoal wheels on American Muscle for the 2010-2013 models (at the top when you filter for '10-'13 wheels. If I end up getting them, I'll PM pics or post a thread. Gonna plasti-dip the wheels I have first (when I get the time) and can PM pics of that as well!

Originally Posted by robinsonda1
Just say no to black wheels, they're ugly (in my opinion)
That's why I may plasti-dip first, just to see how much I like them.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Frustration
2nd Gear Member

I didnt bother with Dipping...

Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by steel pony
ok, i'll chime in...i own a 2012 GT in SGM

Accent Colors that will work with SGM (personal opinion)

Matte Black
Matte Grey
Red
copper
gold
silver
argent
purple

White i think is too distracting
gloss black is ok, but i think the flat colors work better with the paint fleck since you are looking to contrast the base color vs. drawing too much attention to a secondary color

I love the way the matte black breaks it up, plus at twilight when it starts to change color the matte black starts to blend in a little more

as far as the wheels go, well...i had a hard time finding anything that i really liked.
ended up going with the Shelby CS70's in Matte Black and couldn't be happier...totally made the car and it's a not very common wheel
Check out Wheel Replicas or Cruizin Concepts to get some ideas.
I was pretty set on an all matte black wheel to contrast the color and mesh with the side moulding.
I don't know if it's just the pictures or not, but it looks as though you have a 5.0 emblem on the passenger side and no emblem on the drivers side...

I like your car, but I noticed the emblem missing on the left side immediately.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Brink500

Originally Posted by Frustration
I didnt bother with Dipping...
Those pics are awesome! Nice ride!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Frustration
2nd Gear Member

Note these wheels are refinished matte black and are not the charcoal grey that American muscle sell...
Old 07-11-2012, 09:39 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

not too much IMO

now the real question... Is it GRAY or GREY?