Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Plasti Dip + Metallizer FTW

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:45 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Default Plasti Dip + Metallizer FTW

I'm still playing around with plasti-dip, and I recently got ahold of a few cans of the metallizer. I'm really impressed by the looks you can create with the flat black dip combined with the metallizer. I coated the stock V6 rims yesterday it really changed the look of the car. That along with a blacked out grille trim and mustang emblem. Let me know what ya think...............

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Old 08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

It looks good but I personally like it better stock. I pretty much did the exact same thing as you and ended up taking it all off.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Really? How long did you end up keeping the dip on the wheels?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

Maybe a week. I was eating at a restaurant and looking out the window at my car and I thought to myself, 'it needs to go'. So I went out and peeled it off right there in the parking lot. I got some weird looks and nosy people threatening to call the cops because they thought I was vandalizing someone elses car. lol
Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

looks good. i already did my emblem. thinking about the rims still ify about it
Old 08-12-2012, 05:31 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Warpig12354
Maybe a week. I was eating at a restaurant and looking out the window at my car and I thought to myself, 'it needs to go'. So I went out and peeled it off right there in the parking lot. I got some weird looks and nosy people threatening to call the cops because they thought I was vandalizing someone elses car. lol
Dude, that is hilarious. Well this is day number two for me, and I'm hoping to keep it looking this way for a while. I really like the look the darker wheels give the car. Of course, if I had a money tree, I'd be buying a bigger set of wheels, but until the money comes, this is cool for me.

Originally Posted by TommyB681
looks good. i already did my emblem. thinking about the rims still ify about it
I think you should try the rims out. Just spray one to see how it looks. You'll be pretty much sold once you see it. I'm telling you, dipped wheels on the stang = instant upgrade on the cheap. Like my man charlie sheen said ........"Winning", lol.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I just feel that black wheels just make a car look like like it's junky.

Reminds me of the days when the majority of cars ran hubcaps, and people would be running around w/out hubcaps. I mean you still can, but I don't see "race car" I see "cheap way of me trying to make my car standout"

More power to you, but I feels like it's just the *current* ricer fad. there is a big difference between plasti-dipped/rattle canned stock wheels and 19/20" staggered wheels that are black. Even then I'm not going to like the black.

I kinda forgot what my point was. Oh yea, take it off the wheels. Looks awesome on the grille though.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Antonio323
4th Gear Member

I think it looks great. But as others have said, don't leave it as a permanent thing. My 2010 V6 has the same wheels as yours. I did mine in April and although I did love how it looked, I ended up removing it last month. I think it should just be done to see how you'll like black wheels on the car.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 PM
jdilla42
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
I just feel that black wheels just make a car look like like it's junky.

Reminds me of the days when the majority of cars ran hubcaps, and people would be running around w/out hubcaps. I mean you still can, but I don't see "race car" I see "cheap way of me trying to make my car standout"

More power to you, but I feels like it's just the *current* ricer fad. there is a big difference between plasti-dipped/rattle canned stock wheels and 19/20" staggered wheels that are black. Even then I'm not going to like the black.

I kinda forgot what my point was. Oh yea, take it off the wheels. Looks awesome on the grille though.
Lol, point taken Danielle. I can appreciate real wheels and the real money they cost. I'm no stranger to spending to trick out my vehicle as my previous vehicle was a 2009 f-150 lariat sitting on 22" chrome and black wheels. My current set-up is meant to be a stop gap measure until I can get the real thing. Appreciate the comments!

Originally Posted by Antonio323
I think it looks great. But as others have said, don't leave it as a permanent thing. My 2010 V6 has the same wheels as yours. I did mine in April and although I did love how it looked, I ended up removing it last month. I think it should just be done to see how you'll like black wheels on the car.
Thanks for the comments man. Again, this is temporary and a stop gap until I can get my money right for the real thing. It's nice to see the how the car will look with a different color wheel without spending the 1k up front to find out.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
kingGingy5.0
1st Gear Member

I think it looks good....did the same...wanted to see what it would look like before powder coating but now just left in on there to see how long it would hold up

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip + Metallizer FTW