Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

2013 GT Track Pack Drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Ken Gurtsak

Default 2013 GT Track Pack Drop

Hello everyone. Been a lurker here for a while and decided I need to ask a couple questions before I do any modifications to my ride.

I have a 2013 GT Premium w/ Track Package and can't stand the way it sits, and hate the wheels.

I was planning on just ordering some lowering springs and new wheels but the more I read the more I get confused. Please bare with my ignorance.

From what I read the Track Package has "special" springs with different compression ratings than a standard Mustang. So would I be ruining my ride by putting aftermarket lowering springs on it? Will I run into any problems?

Second question; what size wheels and tires would give me the aggressive look that I want and not be an issue with the Brembo brakes? I want black rims and really like the staggered look, just not sure what size wheels and tires would provide the best option.

A little more information. I don't do any track racing or anything so I mainly do basic street driving.

Any suggestions are welcome; thanks in advance, love reading about all the modifications you all do.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Dawghouse
2nd Gear Member

I am not sure about the track pack and lowering, but if you do get lowering springs you are going to need a adjustable panhard bar. I just put new shocks struts and springs on mine and love the look and ride but again I don't have the track pack. I think for wheels you have to stay around a 19 for the bembo's, some 18's will work if they have the correct spacing, just be sure to call and ask.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
JB04GT
2nd Gear Member

Ken,

Check out my thread I created with the same question regarding wheels. I have two links in that thread with a couple of the most popular wheels that will fit our Brembos.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...n-brembos.html
Old 02-19-2013, 06:58 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

if you lower it without putting different struts/shocks on, the ride will definitely be a little odd. you can do it safely, it just won't perform optimal and you will wear the struts/shocks out faster.

the lower you go, the more you need an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the axle. every car is different, you can lower it and see if the rear end has shifted and if one side looks like its poking out more then the other, and order the panhard bar if needed.. but I preferred to do it all at once and I definitely needed it with my 2" drop.

you should research and consider new front strut mounts - not only are the stock ones garbage, but you'll need some form of camber adjustment in the front when you lower the car. you can do this with more affordable camber bolts, or you can get new strut mounts that have built in caster/camber adjustment and knock out two birds with one stone. steeda and maximum motorsports both offer good solutions for this.

mine is not a 'track pack', but I have the brembo pack, and I didn't like the way the stock suspension looked nor performed.. night and day difference compared to the eibach sportlines, eibach struts/shocks, maximum motorsports caster/camber plates, bmr adjustable pan hard bar setup I have now. it seems a bit overwhelming just for lowering the car, but I'm happy with the results and glad I made the investment.

wheels are a preference thing - I say stick with 19s and get 19x9s in the front and 19x10s in the back, with 245/45 front tires and 275/40 rear tires. you have PLENTY of options here though and it's really up to you to figure out what you want - the above is what I went with. I had 20x9 and 20x10s with 255/35 and 285/30s for a while, I liked this look a lot, too, but opted for a little more sidewall/tire and less wheel on the last setup.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Ken Gurtsak

Thanks for the responses. Still a little hesitant on the lowering until I figure out what exactly I need. I would like to hear from someone with the Track Pack and see if there was any issues.

If I went with just springs and a panhard bar now would that be an issue? Then address the shocks and struts later this year be an issue? I dont want to damage the vehicle.

I do like the suggestions on the wheels, thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

the track pack is just the brembo package from the 12's with some additional goodies (oil cooler, track apps, etc!). the suspension is the same, so it is fairly apples to apples.

you can most definitely do that, but you're doubling the labor required to do the jobs separately. you might find that it will look better but the ride and handling will be somewhat sub par. you will not damage anything by doing so, you just risk wearing out the stock struts and shocks faster than otherwise - and if you were changing them out in the future, not a big deal, regardless.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM
TheDivaDanielle
3rd Gear Member

I have a lowered brembo car on stock struts. springs were changed with less than 200 miles on the car, so it's been like from the get go. No issues, ride is a little stiff due to the rebound, but no real complaints. Any wheel that fits a GT500 will fit your car. When you look for wheels, just look for a GT500 fitment and you'll be fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Ken Gurtsak

Thanks for the information everyone. I think I will move forward with the wheels and tires, then work on the suspension. The reason I asked about the Track Package being different spring than the stock GT is because of this site: http://www.brembo50.com/Default.aspx?pageId=1130035

Saying that the spring rate is different...(Different Springs (131lbs Front / 167lbs Rear)

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

it is different than the regular GT, but the track pack is just the brembo package with additional items in it : )

happy modding.