Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

What do I really need to lower 2014 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Evil2014GT

Default What do I really need to lower 2014 Mustang GT

Hello all, I am the proud new owner of a 2014 GT, and am currently trying to decide on what I need to lower it. Although I am new to the S197 scene, I have spent the last several years doing alot of modding on the LS1/LS6 f-bodies, and just traded in my 2004 GTO for the GT.
Anyway, I know this subject has proabably been beat to death, but after using the search button I have been getting a TON of mixed feedback on what is needed to properly lower this car. I am looking for a nice 1.25-1.5 TOPS drop all the way around just to get rid of the lift kit look that these cars have stock. I already have 19 inch AMR rims, with 245 in the front and 275 in the rear. The car will not see the track at all, and is currently my daily driver. So I am mainly lowering it only for appearance with a bit of spirited driving purposes. I have already decided to get the adjustable camber bolts, as well as an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear. Is there anything else that is truely recommended for what Im using the car for? Will the stock shocks/struts be ok with an 1.25 drop?
Attached Thumbnails What do I really need to lower 2014 Mustang GT-20130329_194219.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

What you really need is patience and money. Plus a set of K Springs doesn't hurt.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Evil2014GT

thanks.....answers a lot.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

If you want to get it done as cheaply as possible, then you can do a 1.25 drop without replacing shocks/struts. Consequences of that will be ****tier ride quality (more harsh over bumps, bouncier rear end, etc). Factory shocks/struts will wear out quicker, but I wouldn't think it would be too bad on a 1.25" drop.

I'm running Steeda Sports on mine. Advertised to lower the car 1 inch front, 1.25 rear. I ran the front springs with stock shocks/struts for a period of time while the front Koni's were on backorder. It was definitely doable, but it was so much better in every aspect after the Konis were installed.

FYI I didn't get a panhard bar. The rear axle is very slightly off, but I haven't had any negative effects from it. I would put that money toward Konis.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:59 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

A really heavy girlfriend.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Springs of your choice, shocks/struts to handle them (not necessary but highly recommended), adjustable panhard bar if you're low enough (sounds like you are going to be), and I would suggest camber plates (not bolts, just do a quick search here to figure out why) to keep your tires wearing evenly.

Edit: to elaborate further on the why part. Research the springs thoroughly to find what you want. I'm not versed enough to make recommendations, but there's Ford, H&R, Steeda, and countless others. As stated above, you'll want proper shocks/struts to prevent your stock ones from wearing out early and to handle the springs, otherwise you'll get a tough ride. Some recommended brands are Koni (since you won't be tracking, the choice seems to be Str.ts) and Tokico (there's others, just off the top of my head). With the wide tires you have, an adjustable panhard bar will help center the rear end. Mine's off about a half an inch, which isn't noticeable with my stock tires, but will be noticeable with wide tires. The camber plates are better than bolts because from my reading (again, I make no claims to be an expert, the search button will continue to be your best friend) the bolts can be unreliable. There's a few brands for plates, such as J&M, Maximum Motorsports, and Steeda.

Last edited by CMcNam; 04-01-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Evil2014GT

Thanks alot for the help guys. I was doing a bunch more research this morning, and i have pretty much made up my mind to go with the steeda ultralite springs with the koni str.t shocks/struts as they seem to be the best bang for your buck. From what i read, i will also need a set of the gt500 strut mounts in order to use that combo. I think im going to reuse the factory camber plates for now, as the car only has 800 miles on it so the stockers are still brand new. I will still be getting the bolts to atleast help with alignment. So here is my "to buy" list so far:
Steeda Ultralite springs
Koni str.t shocks/struts
GT500 strut mounts
Adjustable camber bolts
Bmr adjustable panhard bar.
That sound ok? Anything else you would recommend? Trying to keep the total cost under $900 if at all possible. I will be doing the install myself with a friend, so no need to factor in labor costs.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Replace the camber bolts and GT500 mounts with adjustable camber plates. You'll kill two birds with one stone.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Evil2014GT

Not a bad idea... I will def consider that. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Evil2014GT

Im looking at the J&M camber plates from American muscle now. So just to make sure I have this correct, if i got these, i would NOT need the gt500 strut mounts or bolts correct? Also i would need to order the 05-10 set in order to use them with the koni str.t shocks right!?

Quick Reply: What do I really need to lower 2014 Mustang GT