Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Procharger V6 Kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
traxiii

Default Procharger V6 Kit!!!

475 HP! http://www.stangtv.com/news/procharg...harger-system/
Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

dang.. wonder when STS turbo kit will come out. My bank account is screwed for sure...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
FoxThree

Cast pistons, and boost don't mix. What's this kit going to run? Maybe $4K? It's nice, but I don't trust cast internals with boost even under the best of tunes.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FoxThree
Cast pistons, and boost don't mix. What's this kit going to run? Maybe $4K? It's nice, but I don't trust cast internals with boost even under the best of tunes.
That's what I'm curious about. That's quite a large bump in power (+170hp) and I'm interested in how the internals hold up
Old 01-13-2011, 01:45 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I`ll take about 400 rwhp at 8 lbs boost and be very happy. Shouldn`t be very abusive.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
FoxThree

Originally Posted by Alec
That's what I'm curious about. That's quite a large bump in power (+170hp) and I'm interested in how the internals hold up
Boosting an NA engine is not a good idea for a daily driver, or rather for a engine with cast internals. Any det is going to shatter the pistons! Tune the car on a warm day, drive it on a cold, your scaled MAF sensor isn't going to be metering the intake air properly, and you can make yourself prone to det. Its not the power, so much, to be worried about... Its about the stress that the pistons are going to be subjected to.

The pistons in the 3.7 are cast. They are not even of the "hyper-cast" variety which would be some insurance against broken ring lands. That said, then there are issues with blowby caused by boosting... Hyper-case pistons are relatively stable in terms of their diameter whether hot or cold, and properly sized by the OEM for a boosted application, then blowby is designed around. But just cast pistons... I don't know about that.

I also wonder about the head gaskets too. Certainly they were not engineered to go 100,000 miles under boost.

Without a build motor, I wouldn't touch any boosted power adder on a stock NA engine and expect anykind of reliability.

Also, not much is known about the transmission in the new 6's either. How many people are going grenade their 2nd and 3rd gears? I just don't know anything about the tranny... manual or auto. But the engine... All I have are doubts about anykind of reliabilty without forged pistons. Sure they have oil squirters to help dissapate heat and reduce the thermal load, but any det is going to see many-a-broken ringlands.

I'd save the $4-$5k and buy a GT. You can finance the extra $$ for the GT, but I doubt Procharger is going to let you finance a supercharger.

Maybe I'm completely off base about the pistons durability being that they are cast... But then you've got the rods to think about too.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

first I can't find any information about the rods/pistons on the duratec 37, would like to know how you know they are cast. The duratec 37 is in the same family as the 35 which is being used as the ecoboost 6 which has been quite capable of handling boost. The trans is the exact same one out of the GT, and there are plenty of 5.0s making this kind of power already so no problem there.

There are lots of engines that have been boosted that are plenty reliable. Just look at the torture test that ford put a random ecoboost v6 through. They simulated 150k miles put into a truck for a towing session, then into a raptor to run the baja 1000.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

This looks like an awesome system. Definitely something to consider a few years from now when the warranty is up and a few others have tested out the durability on these systems themselves.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:50 PM
FoxThree

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
first I can't find any information about the rods/pistons on the duratec 37, would like to know how you know they are cast. The duratec 37 is in the same family as the 35 which is being used as the ecoboost 6 which has been quite capable of handling boost. The trans is the exact same one out of the GT, and there are plenty of 5.0s making this kind of power already so no problem there.

There are lots of engines that have been boosted that are plenty reliable. Just look at the torture test that ford put a random ecoboost v6 through. They simulated 150k miles put into a truck for a towing session, then into a raptor to run the baja 1000.
Does anyone here have access to Alldata? If they can look up the part numbers of the pistons, and or the shortblock, then that would set the truth in stone, so to speak.

Just because the engine is the same class as the ecoboost v6, does not mean that the internals are carryover... Probably far from it, or likely far from it. The boosted v6 I would has different compression ratio pistons, and therefore are not from the same tool, and hence not of the same material (straight casting versus hyper-cast).

It would be great if all the internals are carryover from the ecoboost!!!!!!!

(of this I do know, that the 5.0L GT does have hypercast pistons because Ford knew all along that people such as Roush and others would be offering supercharger editions of the GT, with the factory warranty -- remains to be seen if Ford did the same strategy with the V6).

p.s. that's great about the tranny being carryover from the GT!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

I for one wouldn't be too worried about the internal reliability.

I own an olds alero and thus have frequented the numerous grandam/alero forums out there. I've seen dyno sheets of guys who turbo'd their 3.4L V6 and one got up to 325 fwhp and 364 fwtq. This out of an engine that makes 170hp/200ft-lbs stock at the crank. With, if I recall, stock internals. The one weakpoint was always the automatic transmission. Solution was to swap it out with a chevy impalla tranny.

Now the 2011 stang V6 has the same tranny as the GT, which from what I've heard, is the same unit used in the last gen Viper. Could be wrong on that last part, but even if it's wrong, as lostboyz mentionned, these transmissions can take a lot of abuse.

Worst case scenario just wait a year for the brave to properly test the hardware and see where it goes.

Quick Reply: Procharger V6 Kit!!!