Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Procharger V6 Kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 03:34 PM
FoxThree

Well, not that you can trust the internet, but everything I've found on the NA 3.7L states cast pistons. I'd be leary of 8psi on cast internals... Maybe a light boost of 3-4psi, tuned on 91 and run on 93 for added "anti-det" insurance. Those rods, too, seem to be a weak spot as far as pushing out high torque numbers. If you're going to drop that much money, in cold hard cash, on a bolt-on, I'd use it as an extra sum on a downpayment on a GT and keep your factory reliability, and factory warranty. You gotta pay to play as the saying goes, so if you have enough for the supercharger, I'd keep some money on hand for a new shortblock as well.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Obviously ur better with factory or at least forged internals for ultimate reliability. But you can still have usable reliability out of decent PSI numbers. Don't know if I mentionned it but the numbers I posted from the grandam forums were backed by dyno sheets and obtained at about 12 psi. And we're talking a pushrod iron block engine with tech from the early 90s, and you thought the 4L V6 in the stang was primitive...

Still it all depends. If you want a problem free engine up untill the 400 000km range, stick with stock. If you want nearly as much reliability out of a boosted application, Foxthree has a point about dishing the right cash for the right parts, especially internals. For those who don't care, go nuts but be prepared.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
traxiii

I would be happy with 5 PSI and 100 HP, probably pick up a couple MPG along with it when cruising.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

no the 6 speed from the mustang has nothing to do with the viper 6 speed. The 2011 trans is a co developed getrag/ford mt82. The viper and gt500 have similar tremec t6060 transmissions.

Also, that old gm iron block is apples and oranges to the new aluminum v6.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM
FoxThree

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
no the 6 speed from the mustang has nothing to do with the viper 6 speed. The 2011 trans is a co developed getrag/ford mt82. The viper and gt500 have similar tremec t6060 transmissions.

Also, that old gm iron block is apples and oranges to the new aluminum v6.
Yeah, that too! Also, the new 6 is also a semi-closed (or semi-open) deck block. Boosting that block, 450+ hp, and don't be astonished to find your cylinders are ovaling. Unless you get the block welded shut, or case hardened... didn't the old timers use concrete back in the day?

You're asking a lot from an aluminum, semi-opened block, with cast pistons. This 3.7 is NOT the same as the ecoboost v6. Not only pistons, but I'd be willing to wager the connecting rods are more stout in the ecoboost as well.

Drivetrain aside, the v6 ain't built supercar power/twist numbers. And also, with the built in electronics, the Stang also advances timing until knock is heard and then backs off... If you're under boost, at high RPM, and get det, sayonara ringlands. Don't know if the reflash will disable the progressive timing advance to counter such a threat. But hey, the vendors are just trying to make money and just tout numbers, and maybe pay a few accolades to safety in the design in their advertising.

Unless you want to add water injection as det insurance, I'd stay NA on stocker internals. This v6 ain't 1/2 as strong as a 93 3000gt VR4!!! Remember the 6 was built for fuel economy (ie low mass internals)

Last edited by FoxThree; 01-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The Procharger will not make crazy boosts to do all that damage. This kit is designed to only do all this at 8 PSI manifold.
Unless you pulley it to go into mid- to high- teens manifold boost, all this warping of the cylinders and lifting the heads, etc. will not happen.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:20 PM
arnold66

Check this out! It's no were near as weak as you think. You think Procharger for a few bucks will gamble on blowing up 3.7 Mustang to make money?
I see were back to buy a GT, mods for GT good 3.7 BAD? MY car my money thanks for worrying.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ine/index.html
Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

wow, i have been waiting and anxiuos to add a supercharging to my stang. Carol Shelby even came up with the C6 for the 4.0 Mustang boosting it to 355 hp. But now with all this talk about how any type of boost could cause damage in the long run has changed my mind. Guess I will just stay with gears , CAI, tune, and when available a underdrive pulley and headers and call it quits at that point. My stang will still be quick, fast and a blast but will have to go without that super power.

Still love the six.

Last edited by stang11v6; 01-13-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

^^^smart common sense thinking right there
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by arnold66
Check this out! It's no were near as weak as you think. You think Procharger for a few bucks will gamble on blowing up 3.7 Mustang to make money?
I see were back to buy a GT, mods for GT good 3.7 BAD? MY car my money thanks for worrying.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ine/index.html
True. Another thing: The 5.0 Coyote is sustaining 10-11 PSI manifold boosts on 11:1 (Eleven to One!) stock compression ratio with stock cast pistons and stock non-forged (powder sintered) rods. Most 5.0 Coyote supercharger kits are supplying 8 PSI manifold boosts even with that high CR.

The 3.7L V6 is 10.5:1, and with that reduced CR, can take 8 PSI manifold from this kit without exploding.

Quick Reply: Procharger V6 Kit!!!