Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush Axelbacks

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Alien
1st Gear Member

I have the MRT and I love how it sounds, to me they have little to no drone, specially when I compare it to my EvoX which had full 3" exhaust with no cats and only one high flow resonator in the mid pipe haha
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM
whammo911

Love my mrt...sounded great when I first put them on a couple of thousand miles later and they sound even better
Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

I love my Roush so far. I can only imagine how loud they will be with BBK long tubes and x-pipe.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Have the Flowmaster right now. It sounds great but not loud enough for me. Ordered Roush. Will see how it goes

My second purchase decision was based off this video by scooterk (I assume scoots here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igcQTLmGjRk

Because I have a manual and I'm a sucker for the popping between shifts, I decided to go for it
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
nickvillan87

ill buy it from ya if u dont want it
Old 01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

So I got my Roush installed today. First impressions:

It's LOUD. Very loud. If it mellows out after some miles as others have reported, I would not mind. I personally didn't experience drone. Or maybe it's there and I just didn't notice it. All the same, it doesn't bother me.

Like I said in my previous post.. the popping/burbling/crackling during rev drops is awesome. Even at 2.5k in 1st shifting into 2nd, you can hear it. When I want to keep it easy, I can easily maintain speed almost silently. Any throttle input will bring attention.

When it goes past 3k, it takes on a different sound (like my Flowmaster did, but louder and more aggressive). I've heard it described as a "wail," and it's pretty accurate. Screaming banshee comes to mind.

Can't wait for my BAMA tunes to get here later this week. My modding is pretty much complete. Maybe the JLT intake once some 3rd party testing shows the gains they claim.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:31 AM
lowered99gt

In every video I've seen of the roush, It has a annoyingly painful hiccup in the exhaust note right around 2800rpm. The rest of the RPM sounds great, but it's the "ringing" that comes in near 2800rpm that is driving me away. Check this vid, you can watch the live dyno display at 2800rpm to see what I mean. Granted this is in a garage, but I bet it's still plenty audible on the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5c2f...layer_embedded
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Right around there is where the sound changes tone. I don't mind it, I actually like it.

To be honest, if you aren't looking for super loud and money isn't an issue, go with FRPP or Borla. I chose to go with Roush and get myself a tuner + BAMA tunes.

Also, it isn't as noticeable when you normally drive. It's more obvious in the dyno video because they hang the RPM around that threshold and then punched it. Gradual/constant increase in RPM and you barely notice. I actually didn't even notice it from driving until I just saw your post and watched the video. Yeah, I agree, the video would put me off some if I believed that's how it is.

Last edited by JimmyM; 01-28-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Different strokes for different folks. As you can see here in this thread, there's 10 different exhausts mentioned. Listen to sound clips and study before making your decision!

Oh and stop over-paying for your exhaust systems! AmericanMuscle price matches and ships same-day for free! We also have a discount code for MustangForums members that most of the time is cheaper than us price matching (if we're not already cheaper than the competitor).

Chris
Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

pm me that code so i can use for a cai......also in that pm please suggest a cai, that would be best fit w/o a tune please.

Quick Reply: Roush Axelbacks